Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Hellion

Arcane
Child NPCs, eh...

10edeef616a9c040-600x338.jpg

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
The German USK age rating system is very different from the ESRB or even the European PEGI. Every single game PB has ever made got a USK 12 rating. Which is what they are aiming for again
with Elex 2
BTW the USK is afaik the only age rating system where they actually play and finish the game before rating it.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The German USK age rating system is very different from the ESRB or even the European PEGI. Every single game PB has ever made got a USK 12 rating. Which is what they are aiming for again
with Elex 2
BTW the USK is afaik the only age rating system where they actually play and finish the game before rating it.
after a quick review of the USK categories, I'd have to wonder if the people who rated the game actually did play it.
USK 12 = "little violence"

Fallout 4 is rated USK 18 and Divinity: Original Sin is rated USK 16. How much did PB pay them for the USK 12?

Elex is probably USK 12 because you are only obligated to kill creatures, machines, inhuman cyborgs and the like to progress.

(Yes, I am aware that it is actually possible to wipe a town full of civilians in Elex)

Gook

Novice
Looks like those shadow zones from risen 3. Elex aliens have the same purple and white color scheme too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still bummed you're forced to play as the Risen man again. At least the Gothic protag was kind enough to have decent hair.

It's not like he has a personality, but then again they probably have no budget whatsoever.

retinoid

Savant
Still bummed you're forced to play as the Risen man again. At least the Gothic protag was kind enough to have decent hair.

It's not like he has a personality, but then again they probably have no budget whatsoever.
Elex II is backed by Brussels and EU aristocracy. https://www.gamepressure.com/newsro...e-sequel-has-been-approved-for-eu-grant/ze527

The game has been approaved for a grant of up to €150,000, which is 9% of its whole budget.

150/0.09 = ~1.6m Euro budget. I have no idea how accurate these numbers are though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure that their publisher chipped in with a buck or two.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Publisher contribution should be included in that planned budget. If you apply for money, you usually have to include other sources of funding as well.

Of course, the budget may have increased after the fact.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Elex II is backed by Brussels and EU aristocracy. https://www.gamepressure.com/newsro...e-sequel-has-been-approved-for-eu-grant/ze527

The game has been approaved for a grant of up to €150,000, which is 9% of its whole budget.

150/0.09 = ~1.6m Euro budget. I have no idea how accurate these numbers are though.
No way that's the full budget the game was in development for 4 years and up to 33 people worked on it.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
New screenshot, of something we've seen in the video footage. Likely the entrance to one of the faction strongholds.

You can see a teleporter by the door, so I guess they're going with the same kind of fast travel system.

E5gzv-Rg-WYAIv-Ku-F.jpg

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned

typical user

Arbiter
They should have implemented save-imports and lock it behind NG+. If you beat the game normally as it was intended you can then play your endgame ELEX 1 character or the one from ELEX 2.

Seems like that 'exile' is nothing more than cryo-sleep unless Jax returned to that backwater island to farm rocks or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wccftech.com/elex-ii-preview-eurojank-jetpack/

ELEX II Preview – Eurojank Gets a Proper Jetpack

Eurojank is a term I've long used, and one that myself and Alessio still use, to describe the sort of games you tended to find coming out of Europe and still do. You know the sort of games, where the polish may not be perfect, some systems may follow their own new logic, and other aspects were close, but there was just something standing out from the US and JP counterparts. ELEX was one of those games, as was the Gothic series, The Witcher 1 & 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Mount & Blade, and so many more. ELEX II is now looking like it will continue that strong tradition.

Recently there was a presentation of ELEX II that both myself and Alessio were able to attend and, if you haven't checked it out yet, Alessio has posted the questions asked about the game following this presentation. In that Q&A post, there's the same gameplay that we both were able to see, though I'll also link it at the bottom of this piece. Piranha Bytes talked to us about ELEX II while this was being shown. Since you can see the gameplay yourself, this preview is mostly about what was discussed during that presentation.

Before that, let's talk gameplay. Much like other Piranha Bytes titles, this is eurojank. That isn't a bad thing, though; this is an endearing term. Games that fit this term are janky. They often lack the polish expected in large releases, but the developers' drive to expand both gameplay mechanics and story are almost always impressive in scope. ELEX II looks like it's keeping up this trend.

How? Well, it's a huge open world, and you have a jetpack. Isn't that enough? No? Well, as you can see from the gameplay reveal at the bottom of this preview, the game will feature this jetpack and multiple other aspects. The open world appears to have various biomes to explore, including an old ruined cityscape, all designed to take advantage of the ultimate freedom of movement.

ELEX II looks to combine this open movement with a varied combat system, offering both ranged and melee combat against a wide variety of enemies, over one hundred in total. Joining these enemies are five factions inhabiting the world of ELEX II, as described during the preview event. These factions will hold the three-hundred plus NPC characters that drive the story forward, holding the over three-hundred-and-fifty-thousand spoken words.

As you're playing the game, you'll find yourself joined by a variety of party members, each with their own unique questlines, equipment, skills and combat styles. These quests will also be joined by a world full of quests, taking you through multiple dungeons and more. All of this is said to take up to sixty hours to complete if you're the sort of person who likes to explore the variety of things offered in games, particularly the large and varied Action-RPG worlds.

The sad thing is, not a massive amount of detail was given that we don't already know about. If you've played ELEX or any other Piranha Bytes game before, you already know the style of game that you're going to be playing. It certainly looks a bit more polished than the original release, and animations seem smoother, combat looks tighter and more responsive and initial appearances lend to an interesting world that I'm looking forward to exploring.

When will this be? Sooner than expected, in all honesty. No date has been confirmed, though earlier this year a 2021 release date was placed on the Steam page, later changed to coming soon. We'll likely see ELEX II towards the end of this year or early next year, with a lot of core aspects seemingly at a good stage now. When it is released, ELEX II will come out for the PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom