Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Not terribly much of importance:
>they prefer not save scumming for major decisions, and living with the consequences
>they accept savescummers
>they want to have decisions with major consequences
>in order to make those feel fair the dialogue options have to be labeled clearly, and the player needs a chance to anticipate the outcome, even if an NPC double crosses him
>dialogue should never be a chore where you just mindlessly click through it, as you do not need to read it (digs against Bioware choice wheel)
>the guy likes Bethesda for their C&C (wat?)
>they talk a lot about walking simulators like Walking Dead, Detroit become Human choices
>Deus Ex Human Revolution death of the hostages if you muck around too long as a sign of a good warning to the player that choices have consequences
>"fair" save game placement is a talking point
>most players dislike losing more than 3! minutes of progress on a reload
>that is why their autosave is 3 minutes, it used to be area based
>the guy talks a lot about how save anywhere can be used to savescum a game, make ruined saves by saving in free fall and other bullshit
>they talk about how the guild system in Gothic/Risen is a massive gameplay impacting choice that you make early and how some players stall it as long as possible, and that they need to plan for that

I usually don't watch these, but I did for Elex. Few important new information, imo they talked about really basic staff. Also Björn Pankratz seems like a retard judging by his answers, constantly acts like a know it all but has really strange blunders. Also way too focussed on problem players, talks about how people moan when they choose the shortest guild, kill everyone and then complain how the game is over too fast, talks about why save anywhere is bad etc. etc. Why too focussed on people trying too dumb too eat instead of focussing on those who enjoy the meal.
Is he better in other Piranha Becken videos?

The main take away of the video is that ELEX II will have choice and consequence. There will be major choices you have to make, like joining a faction, and there will be consequences for doing so.

Also Björn Pankratz seems like a retard judging by his answersIs he better in other Piranha Becken videos?
Björn's comments were mostly befitting and consistent IMO, I am just baffled that he praised Bethesda for having well done choice and consequence.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Seeing all this it got me thinking: the people making ELEX are the same ones who made Gothic and Risen?
Edit: I'm referring to the actual team/s making the game, not the company.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It is the same company, but they probably had some churn over the years. Given that they never managed to rearch the quality level of Gothic 2, they are probably not the same team anymore. On the flipside, animations and user interface have been shit in all their games, so some core part of the team seems to remain.

Krivol

Magister
Seeing all this it got me thinking: the people making ELEX are the same ones who made Gothic and Risen?

Not really - seems like Pankratzs was only responsible for the music and screenplay of NotR. It looks like Michael Hoge was the brain of G1-2 and Risen 1.

Krivol

Magister

Dodo1610

Arcane

Not even a single developer of the 3 who originally founded PB and originally envisioned Gothic as an immersive 3D RPG even worked on Gothic 2. They all left after first PB went bankrupt in 2002, with their parent company. Yet the remaining devs created their best game to this day Gothic 2.

Aside from Björn, there are about 5 people that have been who worked there since Gothic. Most of those were artists and programmers only Björn and Mario Röske the lead level designer helped design parts of the Gothic games
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,37826/
Game Credits Björn Pankratz
Production
Elex (2017) (Project Management)
Risen 3: Titan Lords (2014) (Project Management, Game Design & Story)
Risen (2009) (Project Management)
Gothic 3 (2006) (Project Management)
Gothic II: Gold Edition (2004) (Management - Project Supervisor)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (2003) (Project Supervisor)
Gothic II (2002) (Project Supervisor)

Design
Elex (2017) (Game Design)
Risen 2: Dark Waters (2012) (Project Management, Game Design & Story)
Risen (2009) (Game Design & Story)
Gothic 3 (2006) (Game Design & Story)
Gothic II: Gold Edition (2004) (Game Content & AI Content Supervisor)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (2003) (Game Content & AI Content Supervisor)
Gothic II (2002) (Content Supervisor)
Gothic (2001) (Additional Game Design)

Writers
Elex (2017) (Story)
Gothic II: Gold Edition (2004) (Game Design & Story Scripting)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (2003) (Story Scripting)
Gothic II (2002) (Game Design & Story Scripting)

Audio
Elex (2017) (Music & Sound)
Gothic II: Gold Edition (2004) (Game Audio - Additional Sound Effects)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (2003) (Additional Sound Effects)
Gothic II (2002) (Additional Sound Effects)
Gothic (2001) (Music)

Quality Assurance
Gothic (2001) (Quality Assurance)

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Not really - seems like Pankratzs was only responsible for the music and screenplay of NotR.

Kai Rosenkranz did the music for Gothic 1-3 + NotR and Risen 1.

Yeah, but Panratz did something in that regards too according to this (polish) page:

https://gothic.fandom.com/pl/wiki/Björn_Pankratz

Współtwórca muzyki do Gothic II;

Which means he is a co-composer for G2.

Eh? No.

Did he actually compose music or just do sound effects? There's a difference.

Yoomazir

Educated
>they want to have decisions with major consequences
>in order to make those feel fair the dialogue options have to be labeled clearly, and the player needs a chance to anticipate the outcome, even if an NPC double crosses him
I remember the Dome City, where my outcome ended up with the entire city population being wiped out DESPITE me trying for a peaceful resolution and the npcs absolutely not hinting at all that there were fucking psychopaths.
Glad they learned that lesson.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://wccftech.com/elex-ii-qa-much-more-responsive-combat-deeper-romances-and-more/

Will romances be deeper and more involved in this sequel?

Piranha Bytes: Yes! There are more characters with whom Jax can get into a romantic relationship and the storylines of these characters are also more complex, giving more room for romances.

Romances confirmed.

Did you improve the balance? In ELEX, some of the enemies in the early portion of the game were just too strong, and some of the requirements to wield rarer items felt too high.

Piranha Bytes: Generally speaking, we have a lot of enemies who are a big threat for low-level players, so it’s important to be careful until you are strong enough – like it has been the case in Piranha Bytes games all the time. For some quests, however, we are making exemptions from this rule, most notably some companion quests. It’s up to the player when to start them – maybe in the first act, maybe even in the last act. And we neither want them to cut through these quests like Moses through the Red Sea nor we want players to be slaughtered by a rat.

Therefore, some quests will have a level range for their enemies to make them an interesting experience whenever the player decides to start them. But the feeling of a player, coming back to an enemy like a giant Mountain Troll that kicked his *** some character levels ago and now finally being able to beat it is a core experience of every Piranha Bytes game and of ELEX II as well.

Level scaling confirmed.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
https://wccftech.com/elex-ii-qa-much-more-responsive-combat-deeper-romances-and-more/

Will romances be deeper and more involved in this sequel?

Piranha Bytes: Yes! There are more characters with whom Jax can get into a romantic relationship and the storylines of these characters are also more complex, giving more room for romances.

Romances confirmed.

Did you improve the balance? In ELEX, some of the enemies in the early portion of the game were just too strong, and some of the requirements to wield rarer items felt too high.

Piranha Bytes: Generally speaking, we have a lot of enemies who are a big threat for low-level players, so it’s important to be careful until you are strong enough – like it has been the case in Piranha Bytes games all the time. For some quests, however, we are making exemptions from this rule, most notably some companion quests. It’s up to the player when to start them – maybe in the first act, maybe even in the last act. And we neither want them to cut through these quests like Moses through the Red Sea nor we want players to be slaughtered by a rat.

Therefore, some quests will have a level range for their enemies to make them an interesting experience whenever the player decides to start them. But the feeling of a player, coming back to an enemy like a giant Mountain Troll that kicked his *** some character levels ago and now finally being able to beat it is a core experience of every Piranha Bytes game and of ELEX II as well.

Level scaling confirmed.

retinoid

Savant
Fuck, there are pronouns in the game:
www.germangames.de/elex2/pyranhabytessupportfags

One of the things that caught my eye, that has not been mentioned in the press as far as i know is the option to set your preferable pronoun for Jax. You can choose between he, she and them. It's not much, but anything LGBT counts as a win in my book

:dead:

"pyranhabytessupportsfags"

:nocountryforshitposters:

Could have been more subtle with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom