Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 was always incline

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
So I've been reading the "Do people still rank F2 over F3" thread on Retardo since I just got access to that forum, and I saw a bunch of really weird criticisms of FO2 from people saying FO1 was better. A lot of FO1 purists are strangely opposed to the talking deathclaws. I even saw the talking deathclaws compared to the kid in a fridge from FO4. I don't know about you guys, but when I played FO2, I didn't see the talking deathclaws as a joke or something. Sure, looking back on it, I guess it's a little bit out there, but the game presented them pretty seriously from what I remember. The deathclaws being slaughtered by Frank Horrigan is an important segment in the main story. There's also a question of morality, considering whether or not the deathclaws should be allowed to live. Intelligent deathclaws could pose a serious threat to humanity at large if their numbers were to increase; the generation you meet in the vault are friendly and benevolent, but there's no way of knowing that they'd stay that way. This was the kind of stuff I was thinking about when I was at that part of the story - it wasn't "lol!! talking lizards!!" like the FO1 purists insist.

You even get one of the most cool and unironically badass party members in the series from that vault. The protagonist of Fallout 2, by the end of the story, is cruising around in a cool car with a giant deathclaw. It's stuff like this that gives Fallout 2 a "cool" factor that Fallout 1 just doesn't have.

Arbiter

Scholar
So I've been reading the "Do people still rank F2 over F3" thread on Retardo since I just got access to that forum, and I saw a bunch of really weird criticisms of FO2 from people saying FO1 was better. A lot of FO1 purists are strangely opposed to the talking deathclaws. I even saw the talking deathclaws compared to the kid in a fridge from FO4. I don't know about you guys, but when I played FO2, I didn't see the talking deathclaws as a joke or something. Sure, looking back on it, I guess it's a little bit out there, but the game presented them pretty seriously from what I remember. The deathclaws being slaughtered by Frank Horrigan is an important segment in the main story. There's also a question of morality, considering whether or not the deathclaws should be allowed to live. Intelligent deathclaws could pose a serious threat to humanity at large if their numbers were to increase; the generation you meet in the vault are friendly and benevolent, but there's no way of knowing that they'd stay that way. This was the kind of stuff I was thinking about when I was at that part of the story - it wasn't "lol!! talking lizards!!" like the FO1 purists insist.

You even get one of the most cool and unironically badass party members in the series from that vault. The protagonist of Fallout 2, by the end of the story, is cruising around in a cool car with a giant deathclaw. It's stuff like this that gives Fallout 2 a "cool" factor that Fallout 1 just doesn't have.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bioware shutting down their forums was a crime against humanity, there's nothing stopping subhumans(IE game lovers) from just posting anywhere now
The success of those games speaks volumes. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Is being a pretentious contrarian a prime requirement to be on the Codex?
Faggot posters like Rusty will play FO 76 for hundreds of hours before turning around and saying IWD and BG were shit. He is literally 400+ lbs. Just ignore him.

Codex Year of the Donut
bioware shutting down their forums was a crime against humanity, there's nothing stopping subhumans(IE game lovers) from just posting anywhere now
The success of those games speaks volumes. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Is being a pretentious contrarian a prime requirement to be on the Codex?
Faggot posters like Rusty will play FO 76 for hundreds of hours before turning around and saying IWD and BG were shit. He is literally 400+ lbs. Just ignore him.
significantly better than IE garbage

Arbiter

Scholar

Codex Year of the Donut

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Look at this post apocalyptic beautiful piece of engineering.
the_highwayman_by_fernand0fc_d9pt9hi-fullview.jpg

rusty_shackleford Don't tell me you somehow liked Fallout 76? Yet still you continue to shit over IE games just because?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Also, I only played vanilla FO2, are restoration or any other mods worth a playthrough?
Sure,try it out. It does bring back some stupid content(that was cut for a reason),but I really like the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency). It also adds some follower animations and allows them to equip Power Armor(unique sprites for both Sulik and Cassidy). Marcus can also gain special mutant armor(you have to pay 4000 $ to that merchant in the Abbey,an area also reintroduced by the Restoration Project).
The EPA is probably the worst out of all the content added. The rest is ok.

rusty_shackleford Don't tell me you somehow liked Fallout 76? Yet still you continue to shit over IE games just because?

Rusty is a HUGE Beth fan but he does play isometric games as well. I suspect some kind of mutant genes tbh.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, I only played vanilla FO2, are restoration or any other mods worth a playthrough?
Sure,try it out. It does bring back some stupid content(that was cut for a reason),but I really like the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency). It also adds some follower animations and allows them to equip Power Armor(unique sprites for both Sulik and Cassidy). Marcus can also gain special mutant armor(you have to pay 4000 $ to that merchant in the Abbey,an area also reintroduced by the Restoration Project).
The EPA is probably the worst out of all the content added. The rest is ok.

Rusty is a HUGE Beth fan but he does play isometric games as well. I suspect some kind of mutant genes tbh.

Do you have a rough estimate on how many hrs of gameplay are added through restoration? Just curious.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I mean it just sucks to me. The writing and design does not feel like it fully belongs in the game. Not everyone agrees but...hey I am the guy that is not bothered by the ghost in Fallout 2.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The EPA in the restoration project has nice level design/puzzles and the maps are very pretty, I had a fun time exploring it but the writing is all over the place. Of course there's the wacky Old World Bluesy stuff in there but the optional companions at the bottom feel so hilariously out of place. One guy is a massive edgelord serial killer MY NAME IS NOT IMPORTANT rapist, one is some hot ninja chick anniemay girl OC and the last guy is a reference to Cat from Red Dwarf if I'm recalling it right. Were these dudes mentioned in the EPA design document? I don't recall. If they were it was probably like a sentence each.

Anyway, I'd still say the RP is definitely worth using, even though you can kinda just tell what is and isn't restored/new content and it's not all totally seamless. It's a good mod that adds a few extra hours of decent quality content to a game which already has a lot of stuff to do in it. I'm not overly experienced with other Fallout 2 mods that add dungeons and locations to the base game and aren't just their whole own campaign, maybe MIB88's megamod is better for extending the life of the game (probably at the expense of quality and consistency), I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The EPA in the restoration project has nice level design/puzzles and the maps are very pretty, I had a fun time exploring it but the writing is all over the place. Of course there's the wacky Old World Bluesy stuff in there but the optional companions at the bottom feel so hilariously out of place. One guy is a massive edgelord serial killer MY NAME IS NOT IMPORTANT rapist, one is some hot ninja chick anniemay girl OC and the last guy is a reference to Cat from Red Dwarf if I'm recalling it right. Were these dudes mentioned in the EPA design document? I don't recall. If they were it was probably like a sentence each.

Anyway, I'd still say the RP is definitely worth using, even though you can kinda just tell what is and isn't restored/new content and it's not all totally seamless. It's a good mod that adds a few extra hours of decent quality content to a game which already has a lot of stuff to do in it. I'm not overly experienced with other Fallout 2 mods that add dungeons and stuff to the base game and aren't just their whole own campaign, maybe MIB88's megamod is better for extending the life of the game (probably at the expense of quality and consistency), I haven't tried it.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/EPA_design_document
Doesn't look like they are mentioned.
Cat Jules is a great follower,he is skilled with all manner of weapons,be they Small Guns,Big Guns or Energy Weapons.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Anyway, I'd still say the RP is definitely worth using, even though you can kinda just tell what is and isn't restored/new content and it's not all totally seamless. It's a good mod that adds a few extra hours of decent quality content to a game which already has a lot of stuff to do in it. I'm not overly experienced with other Fallout 2 mods that add dungeons and stuff to the base game and aren't just their whole own campaign, maybe MIB88's megamod is better for extending the life of the game (probably at the expense of quality and consistency), I haven't tried it.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/EPA_design_document
Doesn't look like they are mentioned.
Cat Jules is a great follower,he is skilled with all manner of weapons,be they Small Guns,Big Guns or Energy Weapons.
Guessing it was extrapolated from this.
No News of a Thaw: The player may discover some hibernation cells in the lower levels of the EPA, and depending on what "type" of character he is (combat, stealth, or diplomatic), he can free one of three hibernating humans that have been preserved since the great silence.

.Pixote.

Augur
Sorry to repeat this stuff.

I don't want to blow my own horn "honk, honk". Everytime someone makes a Fallout 2 / Fallout mod thread I'm going to remind people that there's a new version of the Restoration Project with new maps. Use only one of the file packages, not both at the same time! Most of the changes are subtle and are based on the original artwork.

Can people test these maps for issues - glitches, etc. Hopefully this new version of the RP maps will be used in a future update of RPU, if not then they will be released as a separate mod, either way I'm not fussed.

Now I worked on the RP back in the day and helped Killap with the maps, so I'm fully aware of all the problems regarding the maps, considering I'm the one that made the problems. These new maps address many of the problems, namely the old ones were too busy with 'unnecessary stuff'.

The lighting in a few locations has been altered, so don't worry if things feel different when first encountering them - Gecko Powerplant has a darker interior, same for the Sierra Army Depot, as well as the Military Base (fixing the generator fixes only the elevator, doesn't turn on the lights anymore). Why the changes, because they look so much better - play and see.

The files come in two types. One is the raw files (art, maps, scripts, text, etc) - a lot of the art has been changed, overriding your original files is necessary and its permanent, so make a backup if you're worried. For lovers of files, download and have a look at the stuff.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ug46yrv35asu81j/rpu_2.7.rar/file

The second is the RPU.dat file that overrides version 2.6 in the mods folder - again make a backup if you're worried. The RPU.dat has new critters for Cat Jules as well as all the raw files in their proper folders.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8z6ojjq4xj1lgn/rpu.rar

Just note if you play with these new maps you're never going back to the original Restoration Project, let alone the vanilla game (unless it's a nostalgia trip). For the best look play the game with the 2x scaling on (get as close to the original resolution look as possible), playing the game at an ungodly resolution looks shit and Tim Cain will curse you.

Now it goes without saying start a new game!

ZFunJDg.jpg

1GKIuZA.jpg

GWteFrW.jpg

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I mean it just sucks to me. The writing and design does not feel like it fully belongs in the game. Not everyone agrees but...hey I am the guy that is not bothered by the ghost in Fallout 2.
The ghost is child play compared to a lot of basic things in Fallout 1/2. If you can use machine with electronic devices to increase your luck, or getting radiated to become a ghoul who can live to 300 year old (Harold, Set, Willow, Carol etc) I dont see any problem with a ghost.

Häyhä

Arbiter
it all makes sense once u realise fallout "wonky" tone and aesthetics were heavily inspired by Kubricks Dr Strangelove
F1 - Dr Strangelove
F2 - Last Action Hero

Last Action Hero is criminally under-rated. When I first saw it as a kid, I was really disappointed expecting a great Schwarzenegger action flick and getting some dumb kid's movie with goofy plot. It wasn't until many years later that I "got" what the movie was about and all the little details and I started to actually like the movie. Last Action Hero is delicious piece of cinematic cheesecake, just like Fallout 2 is in video game world. Both games are also still better than 98% of the genre, there's no reason to hate either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom