Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 was always incline

Codex Year of the Donut
arcanum is like someone decided to crossbreed fallout with baldur's gate and the result is a worse game because IE games are crap

arcanum is like someone decided to crossbreed fallout with baldur's gate and the result is a worse game because IE games are crap
The first half of the sentence is right at least. However arcanum would have been a much less buggy and bad game if it actually had been in the infinity engine, which for all it's supposed flaws, did seem to actually work.

Also BG2 and, to a lesser extend, Icewind Dale were fantastic games. Fallout did offer superior character building options. I enjoyed the combat in both, hard to really say which I liked more. However, never did the phrase "Goodnight Gracie" appear in any infinity engine combat logs, so that might put fallout over the top there.

Codex Year of the Donut
bioware shutting down their forums was a crime against humanity, there's nothing stopping subhumans(IE game lovers) from just posting anywhere now

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
bioware shutting down their forums was a crime against humanity, there's nothing stopping subhumans(IE game lovers) from just posting anywhere now
The success of those games speaks volumes. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Is being a pretentious contrarian a prime requirement to be on the Codex?

Codex Year of the Donut
The success of those games speaks volumes. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Is being a pretentious contrarian a prime requirement to be on the Codex?
shit tends to attract flies

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
IE games are like DAO with worse graphics.

Ryan muller

Educated
Even the people who claim fallout 1 is better admit they played it far less.

No. Fallout 2 was much better, then you played it so much (because it was so good) and you eventually got sick of it. You remember much less of fallout 1 because you played it less, therefore, it wasn't as good. But you don't remember every bad thing about it.

Also, there's far more internet talk about fallout 2 than fallout 1, so every little nitpick is well documented.

Still, that starting dungeon sucked in FO2. So bad.
What the fuck? 1 is way comfier to replay. It's the only one I'll fire up. What a strange argument, putting words into FO1 fans's mouths.

Anyway, it's time to accept your Lord and Savior, Arcanum. The fact that cretin can't see the glory of it means we can safely discard his stupid thread.
>Unironically liking Arcanum

Harthwain

Magister
This is Rusty. It's what he does.

>Unironically liking Arcanum
Eh, I can totally see people liking or loving Arcanum. On some level it is an example of a potentially great game, albeit dragged down by its many issues.

Tigranes

Arcane
Even the people who claim fallout 1 is better admit they played it far less.

No. Fallout 2 was much better, then you played it so much (because it was so good) and you eventually got sick of it. You remember much less of fallout 1 because you played it less, therefore, it wasn't as good. But you don't remember every bad thing about it.

Also, there's far more internet talk about fallout 2 than fallout 1, so every little nitpick is well documented.

Still, that starting dungeon sucked in FO2. So bad.
What the fuck? 1 is way comfier to replay. It's the only one I'll fire up. What a strange argument, putting words into FO1 fans's mouths.

Anyway, it's time to accept your Lord and Savior, Arcanum. The fact that cretin can't see the glory of it means we can safely discard his stupid thread.
Arcanum is a meme, even the people who love it still hate to play it.
Talking to your imaginary friend Bob again? I enjoyed my 5+ playthroughs of Arcanum.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum is of great renown not because of its combat,but its worldbuilding,story and writing. The sheer number of possibilities when it comes to character builds(whether it's a gun toting dwarf,a gnome diplomancer,a human pyromaniac lobbing dozens of molotovs and explosive grenades) is really staggering even to this day. That's what Arcanum is known for.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Arcanum is of great renown not because of its combat... [Arcanum is known for] the sheer number of possibilites when it comes to character builds
I haven't played Arcanum extensively, but aren't different character builds practically meaningless outside of combat?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I haven't played Arcanum extensively, but aren't different character builds practically meaningless outside of combat?
Not at all. You can focus on diplomacy and haggling. You can have an army of followers,even automatons that you can build with high Mechanical and Smithy discipline and let them wreak havoc while you sit down and smoke a cigar. You can use Prowling to plant Dynamite while in stealth to potentially assassinate high level characters. You can use the Dominate Will spell on shopkeepers and take all their gold. Like I said,huge amount of possibilities.

mondblut

Arcane
The sheer number of possibilities when it comes to character builds(whether it's a gun toting dwarf,a gnome diplomancer,a human pyromaniac lobbing dozens of molotovs and explosive grenades) is really staggering even to this day. That's what Arcanum is known for.

Builds like expert blademaster who can't walk two steps without tripping and falling or a master of a hundred spells with intelligence of a doorknob? Those builds?

"One pool for everything" is the single most retarded RPG system to retard over them all.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The sheer number of possibilities when it comes to character builds(whether it's a gun toting dwarf,a gnome diplomancer,a human pyromaniac lobbing dozens of molotovs and explosive grenades) is really staggering even to this day. That's what Arcanum is known for.

Builds like expert blademaster who can't walk two steps without tripping and falling or a master of a hundred spells with intelligence of a doorknob? Those builds?

"One pool for everything" is the single most retarded RPG system to retard over them all.

Yes of course it was a flawed gem and all totally unbalanced and that trivialized the difficulty of combat but it was still a really fun, immersive game. I'm a person that prefers good combat over anything else in an RPG but arcanum is still one of my favorite games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's reasonable that a combat fag doesn't love Arcanum. A music, writing, atmosphere or God forbid, storyfag must love it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also, I only played vanilla FO2, are restoration or any other mods worth a playthrough?
Sure,try it out. It does bring back some stupid content(that was cut for a reason),but I really like the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency). It also adds some follower animations and allows them to equip Power Armor(unique sprites for both Sulik and Cassidy). Marcus can also gain special mutant armor(you have to pay 4000 $ to that merchant in the Abbey,an area also reintroduced by the Restoration Project).

Ryan muller

Educated
Also, I only played vanilla FO2, are restoration or any other mods worth a playthrough?
Definitively, Restoration project bring back shit like Sulik's quest and abbey to the game, which really adds up to fallout 2

Only con i can think of is that it gets even harder to get good early game guns due to the solar scorcher being moved to the EPA

Aside from that It adds much to an already great game

Arbiter

Scholar
Tim Cain said half the people making Fallout didn't like the time limit, and they argued over it until it shipped. Later Tim had it taken out in the patch. I liked it.

https://gdcvault.com/play/1015843/Classic-Game-Postmortem

Fallout 1 coming out at all, and turning out as good as it did was down to luck as much as skill. I wish they would release the source code to F1 (before some idiot loses it), so we can see how it was done.

Fallout was good because of its design, not technical merits so the source code is not that important. I also believe that game logic in Fallout is implemented in some compiled scripting language which could certainly be reverse engineered. Fallout modders should know more about it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Neither Fallout or Fallout 2 are perfect games, I refuse to put either of them on a pedestal to worship. They're really good though, despite their flaws. These two are an example of serendipity in game design and yet... both games have a number of unfinished elements, rough but serviceable design and invisible gameplay parts.

Which one is better, well obviously Fallout 2, but I think it matters more which game you played first and when. I played Fallout 2 first in the early 2000s, and I didn't notice much "wacky pop-culture" in the game. I'm not American, so that probably helped a lot. I don't know, but I find myself wanting to replay Fallout 2 now. It was fun, but sometimes frustrating, but wow so memorable.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Strange, I always believed that Arcanum is most known for gnomes. My stone may be flawed, but that game had alot more to say than any other game period.

This thread, though. Is it designed to trigger the oldest and their dementia? Meh.

Laz Sundays

Educated
They aren't. Same goes for Fixt in the original, garbage that only makes things worse. All FO2 needs is available community patch and a simple ammo correction tweak made by some legend. Makes ammo types work as intended.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They aren't. Same goes for Fixt in the original, garbage that only makes things worse. All FO2 needs is available community patch and a simple ammo correction tweak made by some legend. Makes ammo types work as intended.
Noted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom