Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Fallout 3 will always be superior to the original fallouts. Even now it could pull of seeling DLCS. There is really no end to the great story they laid out. Even with mothership zeta there is nothing imagination can't correct. Speakign stirctly non-dlc, Fallout 3 was too short. Optimus prime was too obvious a symbol for the game coming to an end. The transformation of the wasteland by enclave wipeout and purity water protection (transformers more tha meets the eye). I agree with many points made by users in this topic. the game was overall great. but there are turning points in development that must of been why it wasn't all 10 out of 10. If more gamers were open to a PC only version we could get all the benefits of more DRM and cloud-tech. GFWL could of changed gaming as we know it. But now since skyrim mods have built in steam distribution and derp, we could probably make up for the loss of GFWL. By allowing the community to encrypt their mods through steam we can cause an increase in growth of great mods for the next fallout too. just my 3 dawg cents. ~jipjip

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would not agree that they have any amazing talent, Oblivion had absolutely no redeeming features. Only good thing about Fallout 3 was very few semi decent quests and even they were plagued by poor writing and voice acting and Skyrim has some nice looking environment. So I dont see in what field Bethesda actually has talent.
The things that are good about Bethesda games, and which reveal their design talent, are kind of separate from what make a good RPG.
  • Bethesda games are extremely well paced. They have their core combat/loot/etc. gameplay loop down to a T, on the micro level. On the wider structural level, their worlds are just the right size and have just the right amount of content to always make you want to go over that next hill, or poke your head in another dungeon.
  • They create universal systems and mechanics that interact with each other in interesting ways. When the core gameplay loop fails, there is always something to do, whether it's talking to an NPC, picking a pocket, repairing gear, or just watching an emergent conflict between two monsters. In a big open-ended game, the benefit of all these variables interacting cannot be understated, and makes their worlds feel alive.
  • They have an incredible eye for detail. Let's face it, Bethesda games are completely packed with detail in a way that most other games aren't, even much smaller games. This makes exploring their worlds fun; there's all sorts of little things you constantly run across. The amount of work involved in this can't be understated.
  • I think their art department is very good. The intro to The Pitt, gazing across Skyrim or the Capital Wasteland for the first time, etc. are all moments that are going to be entrenched in my memory for a long time. Few other developers create such visually captivating scenes in-engine, and then lets you actually visit each and every thing you can see.
  • Similarly, Bethesda have excellent environmental storytelling. Fallout 3 showed this off, both in its environment design and in smaller little moments. Their level designers have a very good grasp of how to imply events or create mood without any character saying a word.
  • Finally, I think Bethesda are excellent at using level and scenario design as tools to educate the player about play mechanics. Take a look at the beginning of Skyrim or Fallout 3, or Morrowind for great examples of how the shape of the landscape, visual landmarks, roads and paths, and other level design devices work to lead the player around. Outside of the awful forced tutorial segments, pretty much all of their games have well-paced discovery of new mechanics that teaches players new game features and introduces new concepts in a way that feels like natural gameplay. In an open world setting, this is very hard to do, and Bethesda do it very well. Personally, I think this is one of the reasons games like Oblivion sell millions while Gothic etc. do not - Bethesda have a very keen understanding of how to intuitively structure gameplay without resorting to the same heavy-handed devices other developers do.
Yes, their writing sucks and their engine tech is awful, and oftentimes their games are badly balanced. As I said, as RPGs their games fail. But, a lot of the fundamentals of design any developer should know, Bethesda know very well and execute on. This is something that's not immediately obvious when playing their games, but it does not happen accidentally and is one of the hardest parts of creating a game to get right - to make everything "flow" in a way that keeps people coming back for dozens or even hundreds of hours. I don't know what kind of corporate culture they have, but I suspect it is one that emphasizes art and design over everything else.

Im sorry but I just dont have the same view of their games as you do.

1. Really, really no. In Oblivion there is no pacing thanks to level scaling which actually makes finishing the game easier the lower the level you are. Fallout 3 was also completely broken since the game was too easy even if you played on very hard and without VATS but max difficulty bonus xp will make you reach level cap before exploring 1/3 of the game. And Skyrim has the same problem (but not as big) as Oblivion where focusing your training on non combat skills or mage skills will make the game impossible on higher difficulty.

2. You got to be kidding me. Every mechanic in their game is very superficial and rendered obsolete by poor game design. Why talk to npc when they all say the same poorly written and voice acted shit, why pick a pocket when in few hours of the game you will be swimming in money, why train repair skill when you can find enough weapons to fix it even with low level and money is never an issue and in Oblivion all enemies are pals that love to gang up on you,

3. Now Im sure you are trolling me. Incredible eye for detail? Oblivions world was one of the most poorly designed sandbox worlds out there and even Fallout 3 and Skyrim had very little content outside dungeons beside killing enemies. And not to mention that you see one of dungeons in their game you saw them all.

4. Well I agree that there are some well designed places in both Fallout 3 and Skyrim (nothing in Oblivion) but those places are far in between and really have impressed me less then many other games.

5. They have tried to do environmental storytelling in both F3 and Skyrim and managed to make it as interesting as their overall writing.

6. Its actually quite easy thing to do. Just make the game so easy you cant fail and then call it focused design for player education. In Gothic in your first fight youll get raped if you dont use your brain, hardest fight in Bethesda game is easier then your "tutorial" in Gothic. The thing is I like challenge, I like when making a mistake will result in my quick death. What I dont like is when the game is made so easy that even morons wont die no matter how poorly they play so they dont get butthurt and buy more DLC.

Bethesda corporate culture is to make good looking game with focus on lowest common denominator to appeal highest possible number of morons who are only interested in killing stuff and not dying.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Dear markec, how do we know you don't play on really hard using cheats?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
1. Really, really no. In Oblivion there is no pacing thanks to level scaling which actually makes finishing the game easier the lower the level you are. Fallout 3 was also completely broken since the game was too easy even if you played on very hard and without VATS but max difficulty bonus xp will make you reach level cap before exploring 1/3 of the game. And Skyrim has the same problem (but not as big) as Oblivion where focusing your training on non combat skills or mage skills will make the game impossible on higher difficulty.
By pacing, I'm referring to general gameplay, i.e. giving the player enemies to fight, quests to do, new locations to explore, etc. - not leveling or difficulty. Level scaling, at least to the degree Oblivion does it, sucks ass, I agree.

2. You got to be kidding me. Every mechanic in their game is very superficial and rendered obsolete by poor game design. Why talk to npc when they all say the same poorly written and voice acted shit, why pick a pocket when in few hours of the game you will be swimming in money, why train repair skill when you can find enough weapons to fix it even with low level and money is never an issue and in Oblivion all enemies are pals that love to gang up on you,
Bad dialogue and voice acting is not a game mechanic. Regardless of that, since talking to NPCs is one of the best ways to get quests, the only way to shop, one of the better ways to absorb lore about the world, etc., I'd say it's an extremely important mechanic. Oblivion even let you pick up quests and dialogue topics by overhearing conversations - underused, but also a good idea that few other RPGs have ever utilized.

Money is easy to come by later on but fairly valuable early on - having lots of options to get it isn't a bad thing, as it enables many different play styles. Or would you prefer that there were no pickpocketing/stealing/etc. at all, and the only way to make money was to sell stuff? Why does it matter if stealing isn't as well balanced as it could be? It's a cool thing to include in the game, it's a single-player, open-world, hundred-hour-long title where perfect balance isn't really needed, and I'd rather have it than not because... uh... it's easy to make money other ways.

I assume you're speaking about Fallout 3 RE: repairs. Personally I found that low-level weapons were easy to maintain. High-level ones weren't, and thus became a money sink. Same goes for Power Armor. This is good design - limiting the use of more powerful gear by requiring trade-offs. Again, balance is another issue; personally I think there should have been more alternatives to repairing items other than paying merchants colossal sums of money, but this isn't really any different than most other games with durability systems. At least you have the option of manually repairing yourself rather than teleporting to town every 30 minutes.

3. Now Im sure you are trolling me. Incredible eye for detail? Oblivions world was one of the most poorly designed sandbox worlds out there and even Fallout 3 and Skyrim had very little content outside dungeons beside killing enemies. And not to mention that you see one of dungeons in their game you saw them all.
Oblivion sucks, we all know that. I'm certainly not apologizing for the game, although I think its problems were, generally speaking, more a matter of execution rather than design.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim have very little content outside of dungeons? Perhaps. Both of them have a fair number of settlements and towns to visit, a lot of quests can be picked up through exploration, the games encourage multiple play-styles, from long-ranged combat, to melee, to stealth, etc. and thus have flexibility approaching enemies, they both have random encounters to happen across, etc. Tell me, what else do most RPGs offer during exploration other than dungeon crawling and fighting? Sure, the quality of the dungeon crawling itself in those games often sucks, but saying "these RPGs don't have content outside of dungeons and fighting" is like saying that Quake III doesn't have much content outside of shooting people.

Well I agree that there are some well designed places in both Fallout 3 and Skyrim (nothing in Oblivion) but those places are far in between and really have impressed me less then many other games.
What other open-world games of such size do better? The only one I can think of that has truly rewarding dungeon crawling to come out lately is Divinity II, and even then that's not really an open-world game and doesn't have nearly as much content.

I think it's unfair to compare 3D games to 2D games, by the way. 3D games require more time and money to create, generally. Making a dungeon isn't a matter of laying down some 2D tilesets and having a completed work after an hour; it requires days or even weeks to create one, unless of course you do it the Oblivion way, which we've already agreed sucks. Obviously this all comes down to visuals, but that's just how things are - and no big developer is going to start sacrificing graphics for better gameplay anytime soon when it's one of the major things that contributes to their sales.

Its actually quite easy thing to do. Just make the game so easy you cant fail and then call it focused design for player education. In Gothic in your first fight youll get raped if you dont use your brain, hardest fight in Bethesda game is easier then your "tutorial" in Gothic. The thing is I like challenge, I like when making a mistake will result in my quick death. What I dont like is when the game is made so easy that even morons wont die no matter how poorly they play so they dont get butthurt and buy more DLC.
Killing the player instantly when he/she is still familiarizing him/herself with the core mechanics, and maybe hasn't even had a single fight yet, is bad design. Ever played a platform game and suffered a cheap death because a platform suddenly disappeared on you without warning, or died fighting a boss because they suddenly returned from the dead and attacked you without any warning? There's a difference between "using your head" and "raped by dickwolves until you learn to win", and believe it or not, most players don't like dying as soon as they start playing a game.

Bethesda corporate culture is to make good looking game with focus on lowest common denominator to appeal highest possible number of morons who are only interested in killing stuff and not dying.
You're probably right. And I think they do a pretty good job at that, even if it means I think that most of their games suck.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This is just apologetics, the fact that Bethesduh games do some things right, like forcefully making the repair skill in Fallout useful by making weapons break at idiotically high rate, does not impact their quality at all. They are hiking simulators with hiking made boring and pointless by their own design, which means being broken at the very core. Again, there is no point to overcomplicating very simple things by wall'o'text posts:roll:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
By pacing, I'm referring to general gameplay, i.e. giving the player enemies to fight, quests to do, new locations to explore, etc. - not leveling or difficulty. Level scaling, at least to the degree Oblivion does it, sucks ass, I agree.

But in Fallout 3 you can go on and kill supermutants with first gun you find and every dungeon pretty much feels the same with little to do but to kill the same enemies you did 589 times before. Problem is not in lack of content but in quality and diversity of it. I really dont see how having 40 copy pasted metro stations is a good design.

Bad dialogue and voice acting is not a game mechanic. Regardless of that, since talking to NPCs is one of the best ways to get quests, the only way to shop, one of the better ways to absorb lore about the world, etc., I'd say it's an extremely important mechanic. Oblivion even let you pick up quests and dialogue topics by overhearing conversations - underused, but also a good idea that few other RPGs have ever utilized.

In Fallout 3 I avoided talking to people and just went on exploring the world because every time I got in conversation I wanted to smash my head due the awfulness of the writing and voice acting. Skyrim does a bit better job here but lack of choices in the quests often left me dumbfounded since for some reason I was often forced to be the bad guy. Again its nice to have lots of things to do in a game but if its poorly executed then its not really a joy to play it.

Money is easy to come by later on but fairly valuable early on - having lots of options to get it isn't a bad thing, as it enables many different play styles. Or would you prefer that there were no pickpocketing/stealing/etc. at all, and the only way to make money was to sell stuff? Why does it matter if stealing isn't as well balanced as it could be? It's a cool thing to include in the game, it's a single-player, open-world, hundred-hour-long title where perfect balance isn't really needed, and I'd rather have it than not because... uh... it's easy to make money other ways.

There are RPGs that have no stealing, I would rather have a game without broken and useless mechanics and for developer spend more time polishing other areas then implementing something pointless.

I assume you're speaking about Fallout 3 RE: repairs. Personally I found that low-level weapons were easy to maintain. High-level ones weren't, and thus became a money sink. Same goes for Power Armor. This is good design - limiting the use of more powerful gear by requiring trade-offs. Again, balance is another issue; personally I think there should have been more alternatives to repairing items other than paying merchants colossal sums of money, but this isn't really any different than most other games with durability systems. At least you have the option of manually repairing yourself rather than teleporting to town every 30 minutes.

Well you can quick travel to nearest town and repair your stuff instead of doing it yourself. I played majority F3 only by using Chinese assault rifle, sniper rifle and combat shotgun which I could repair easily. Only enemies I had problems with were deathclaws, enclave troopers and military robots, but even them I could have beat with careful terrain use.

Oblivion sucks, we all know that. I'm certainly not apologizing for the game, although I think its problems were, generally speaking, more a matter of execution rather than design.

But they are still big problems, and as you say its a matter of execution and a talented developer team could have made those problems into a well crafted features.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim have very little content outside of dungeons? Perhaps. Both of them have a fair number of settlements and towns to visit, a lot of quests can be picked up through exploration, the games encourage multiple play-styles, from long-ranged combat, to melee, to stealth, etc. and thus have flexibility approaching enemies, they both have random encounters to happen across, etc. Tell me, what else do most RPGs offer during exploration other than dungeon crawling and fighting? Sure, the quality of the dungeon crawling itself in those games often sucks, but saying "these RPGs don't have content outside of dungeons and fighting" is like saying that Quake III doesn't have much content outside of shooting people.

Lets take Morrowind for and example, there are huge amount of characters to be found in the world, they will provide you with quests and unique pieces of lore. Both Gothic and Morrowind reward you world exploration not only exploration of dungeon. In Morrowind there are large number of of places in the world without any enemies but are placed there to tell the story of the world. I can go now and play Morrowind again and Ill still finding something new and interesting, it wont be a super magic item but a simply skeleton and a small note talking about the last days of some non quests related man.

What other open-world games of such size do better? The only one I can think of that has truly rewarding dungeon crawling to come out lately is Divinity II, and even then that's not really an open-world game and doesn't have nearly as much content.

Take in consideration only sandbox games there is not much of competition but I feel that first three Gothics and Morrowind are far superior in location design then later Bethesda games.

I think it's unfair to compare 3D games to 2D games, by the way. 3D games require more time and money to create, generally. Making a dungeon isn't a matter of laying down some 2D tilesets and having a completed work after an hour; it requires days or even weeks to create one, unless of course you do it the Oblivion way, which we've already agreed sucks. Obviously this all comes down to visuals, but that's just how things are - and no big developer is going to start sacrificing graphics for better gameplay anytime soon when it's one of the major things that contributes to their sales.

Well I agree, but as seen in Gothic and Morrowind you can make lot of locations and make then interesting witout combat. It seems to me that the new Bethesda works with this design idea that every dungeon need to have certain amount of levels and play time. In Gothics and Morrowind there are places you will explore in a minute or two, in Oblivion/F3/Skyrim every dungeon needs atleast 5 minutes to explore it. This is most noticeable in Skyrim where every dungeon has around of three levels. In first you will fight the easiest enemies and maybe one stronger, on second a mix of enemies including a few small groups or few stronger ones and in the last level one tough enemy and a compulsorily large loot chest. Why not make a dungeons without enemies and only traps, why not create a mine that collapses all around you, do you remember the Hell hound from Arx Fatalis which you could not kill but had to lure it on a mining machinery to kill it.

Killing the player instantly when he/she is still familiarizing him/herself with the core mechanics, and maybe hasn't even had a single fight yet, is bad design. Ever played a platform game and suffered a cheap death because a platform suddenly disappeared on you without warning, or died fighting a boss because they suddenly returned from the dead and attacked you without any warning? There's a difference between "using your head" and "raped by dickwolves until you learn to win", and believe it or not, most players don't like dying as soon as they start playing a game.

Not really a fair comparison, to win in Gothic you only need to dodge/block and time your attacks, its not nuclear science and its not something unexpected. Gothic 2 was the first Gothic I played, I died couple of times at the start but I learned from my mistakes and prevailed. Compare that to Bethesda games where it took me a really long time to die at all. But as you say that is a matter of preference, since I like games that constantly challenges me.

You're probably right. And I think they do a pretty good job at that, even if it means I think that most of their games suck.

Yes they do a good job of making shallow games but should we praise them for it?

Dear markec, how do we know you don't play on really hard using cheats?

Luckily I am not brain dead enough to play Fallout 3 with cheats to be able to beat the game.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
good looking games? are we talking about the same bethesda games? the ones with models and textures that look like they were made for the original xbox? the games were even the mainsteam media critizices the animation of characters?

none of their games (and i'm even including daggerfall and morrowind here) looked all that great. frrom a technical point, morrowind even was a complete mess. i remember a few weeks after release, rhedd released his first head mod and in the readme complained how utterly ridiculous the originals were in their massive polygon count and low texture size.
this
http://www.gamebanshee.com/morrowind/races/nordfemale.jpg
compared to that
http://www.elderscrollsmods.com/img/morrowind/r/morrowind-rhedd-heads-nord-female-436-full.jpg

behold, the powers of consolization.

it had it's redeeming qualities, of course. after all, graphics is not all about polygon count and texture size, but if you think oblivion, or fallout 3, or skyrim had great "art direction" you deserve nothing short of a good, ol wheelbreaking.

and about that "world design"?

megaton, a major settlement is of such great design that the inhabitants rather commit suicide, than live there any longer(beth claimed it was a bug, but i think it was a case of the "kill meeeee"-s). everything is made from scrap, because that is what people do after bombs fall and many houses still survive. abandon them, and built a tiny fortress made from scrap. yup. visually it's grey and dark greenish and brownish, the only splash of color coming from a neon light sign.

rivet city, a major settlement on a rusting aircraft carrier. visually also very striking, since again, people apperantly look at all the resources available and say "meh, fuck it" and go about their inane daily routine which consists of doing jackshit and letting the thing slowly fall apart. visually it's grey, dark greenish, brownish with the only splash of color coming from, oh wiat there is no other colors.

arafu (or whatever the name of the cannibal town was), seriously? this is what we're going with here? no fence, no guards, kids playing unprotected in basically the wastes? yeah, ok. whatever. visually it is grey, dark greenish, brownish with the splash of color coming from the tiny garden fences and houses. so you can add a dirty white to the color list./fakeedit: turns out the name was andale, arefu was the other grey, dark greenish, brownish settlement on a bridge. silly me.

tenpenny towe- naw. from a function perspective? it's ok, i guess. it got guards, it got a fence and it doesn't look like it could fall apart any second. visually it is refreshing, since it's not grey, dark greenish, brownish. but the inhabitants are all complete cunts and somehow manages to make even less sense than all the other settlements excluding little lamplight.

little lamplight is a, you know what.

^
i could go on, but that's really all i need to say, actually. little lamplight. it's actually how i imagine the bethesda offices to be like. full of retarded children that think exploding heads and saying "fuck" a lot is the zenith of humour, and crudely drawing dicks on a passed out drunk friend amazing visual art. it's the weakly pumping heart heart and withered soul of fallout 3.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Arena looked pretty good for its time I think, Terminator games also. Morrowind had a very nice world design and was also visually pretty great, but the characters and animations were indeed hideous. Oblivion looked like shit, F3 and Skyrim had some places with nice visual design, but technologically are both pathetic and way behind their times.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
It seems to me that after TESIII release Beth came to the conclusion that this is their perfect formula and aside from systematically dumbing down RPG elements making their games moar accessible and some cosmetic changes they didn't improve shit. I mean if you played Morro, you've basically seen all the good there is in any ulterior game by Bethesda. The biggest problems remain untouched and everything that really sucked in Morrowind still sucks in FO3 and Skyrim.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But in Fallout 3 you can go on and kill supermutants with first gun you find and every dungeon pretty much feels the same with little to do but to kill the same enemies you did 589 times before. Problem is not in lack of content but in quality and diversity of it. I really dont see how having 40 copy pasted metro stations is a good design.
This is a problem, I agree. But this is a limitation in pretty much any open world game. And I don't think even something like New Vegas should be held up as some sort of glorious improvement because Obsidian made it. Everyone knows that New Vegas reused art assets from Fallout 3 all over, and wouldn't have been nearly as big or ambitious as it was if they didn't have the existing code, engine, art, etc. to build on.

In Fallout 3 I avoided talking to people and just went on exploring the world because every time I got in conversation I wanted to smash my head due the awfulness of the writing and voice acting. Skyrim does a bit better job here but lack of choices in the quests often left me dumbfounded since for some reason I was often forced to be the bad guy. Again its nice to have lots of things to do in a game but if its poorly executed then its not really a joy to play it.
Because I apparently need to keep repeating myself: Bethesda's games have problems. A fuckton of them. In fact, I think that most of them are outright bad. But, that does not stop me from noticing they do certain things well. My comment about dialogue being a central game mechanic is really just to highlight the mechanical things dialogue does, as you implied bad writing = bad mechanics, which makes no sense.

There are RPGs that have no stealing, I would rather have a game without broken and useless mechanics and for developer spend more time polishing other areas then implementing something pointless.
Maybe. Again, I have to fall back on the "it's a massive game, getting everything right is impossible." What's important about Bethesda games are the tools they provide you, the options you have in playing the game, not the fine balance of each of them. If you'd prefer a smaller, focused experience, well, that's fine, but that's not really the kind of game they intend to make.

But they are still big problems, and as you say its a matter of execution and a talented developer team could have made those problems into a well crafted features.
Perhaps. But there are few developers making games the sheer size Bethesda tackles, and usually that means corners cut somewhere. With Bethesda, it's (lately) quality of writing and the finer points of game balance. If it were Piranha Bytes, it'd probably be polish, or stability, or glitches, etc. Talking in hypotheticals of what another developer *might* be able to do is pretty fruitless because every project and every developer is different, and often success is a result of factors entirely external to the development itself (like publisher intervention or bankruptcy of a parent company).

Lets take Morrowind for and example, there are huge amount of characters to be found in the world, they will provide you with quests and unique pieces of lore. Both Gothic and Morrowind reward you world exploration not only exploration of dungeon. In Morrowind there are large number of of places in the world without any enemies but are placed there to tell the story of the world. I can go now and play Morrowind again and Ill still finding something new and interesting, it wont be a super magic item but a simply skeleton and a small note talking about the last days of some non quests related man.
Morrowind is actually significantly smaller than Oblivion in terms of world size and number of locations, albeit it is more dense. However, most characters also used the same copy-pasted dialogue everywhere, the game was intended to be played on a PC by a dedicated audience of RPG fans vs. the more casual mass audiences newer Bethesda games are targeted towards, and voice acting was not a concern.

For the record, Oblivion had all that same stuff in many of its dungeons. I remember stuff like underground castles full of necromancers, or huge mass burial grounds, etc. that all had pieces of unique lore to contribute to the world. Yes, the game was lacking unique loot and enemies, and it did have more filler dungeons than Morrowind without anything of interest, but I think it's unfair to say Oblivion had no such details. Skyrim definitely gets very close to Morrowind's own standard as well.

Take in consideration only sandbox games there is not much of competition but I feel that first three Gothics and Morrowind are far superior in location design then later Bethesda games.
Oh, I fully agree. I'm just saying that competition isn't very stiff these days. And we all know that Gothic 3, which tried to bring those production values to the next level, was also kind of a fucking awful mess, and still sort of sucks after the community patches and mods.

Fun fact: every console generation jump results in a 25-50% average development cost increase, and usually take longer to make as well. Sooner or later you are going to have to cut corners to balance the books.

Well I agree, but as seen in Gothic and Morrowind you can make lot of locations and make then interesting witout combat. It seems to me that the new Bethesda works with this design idea that every dungeon need to have certain amount of levels and play time. In Gothics and Morrowind there are places you will explore in a minute or two, in Oblivion/F3/Skyrim every dungeon needs atleast 5 minutes to explore it. This is most noticeable in Skyrim where every dungeon has around of three levels. In first you will fight the easiest enemies and maybe one stronger, on second a mix of enemies including a few small groups or few stronger ones and in the last level one tough enemy and a compulsorily large loot chest. Why not make a dungeons without enemies and only traps, why not create a mine that collapses all around you, do you remember the Hell hound from Arx Fatalis which you could not kill but had to lure it on a mining machinery to kill it.
I agree with all of this, but again - creating unique gameplay scenarios, especially when special scripting etc. is involved, tends to eat up development time. That's not really an excuse for boring dungeons, but it's clear Bethesda wanted to have a formula of sorts to design Skyrim around - though outside of repetitive combat, there is a decent variety in dungeons, like caves full of gaints, old tombs, smuggler holds with lots of water to skim through, icy, claustrophobic tunnels, etc. I think the bigger problem is more that all the interesting dungeons are quest-related, rather than things you find during regular exploration (like that one where you have to hide in shadows to avoid taking fire damage).

Yes they do a good job of making shallow games but should we praise them for it
Not at all. But I am more than happy to point out the good things Bethesda do. I know it's cool to bash them constantly (and I used to do it a lot, trust me), but I think it's a more interesting discussion to be able to see both what a game does wrong and what it does right, rather than just focus on the negatives or what I personally want out of that game, even though it might be contradictory to the design goals.

This is just apologetics, the fact that Bethesduh games do some things right, like forcefully making the repair skill in Fallout useful by making weapons break at idiotically high rate, does not impact their quality at all. They are hiking simulators with hiking made boring and pointless by their own design, which means being broken at the very core. Again, there is no point to overcomplicating very simple things by wall'o'text posts:roll:
No apologies here. I think Oblivion is fucking awful (outside of hiking around and mods, which at least sustain some novelty-type interest), Fallout 3 has crap writing, lore rape and balance but at least it has some decent exploration with some varied locations to find (downtown DC, old military bunkers etc. were well done), and Skyrim is overall a solid if repetitive sandbox dungeon crawler that recaptures a bit of Morrowind's magic in terms of having a more interesting game world, political struggles, etc. But as I've said, I don't think that thinking a game sucks overall should prevent me from being able to see things it does well.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The caller you're trying to reach - sea - is currently unavailable. He is in reviewer mode. Please try again later.

EG

Nullified
Finding the Good in Bethesda

There's an eye catching title.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
This is a problem, I agree. But this is a limitation in pretty much any open world game. And I don't think even something like New Vegas should be held up as some sort of glorious improvement because Obsidian made it. Everyone knows that New Vegas reused art assets from Fallout 3 all over, and wouldn't have been nearly as big or ambitious as it was if they didn't have the existing code, engine, art, etc. to build on.

I agree but why not make a smaller but more detailed world like Morrowind, instead making a huge empty one.

Because I apparently need to keep repeating myself: Bethesda's games have problems. A fuckton of them. In fact, I think that most of them are outright bad. But, that does not stop me from noticing they do certain things well. My comment about dialogue being a central game mechanic is really just to highlight the mechanical things dialogue does, as you implied bad writing = bad mechanics, which makes no sense.

The dialog is an essential part of the gameplay and when its done poorly it takes away from the experience.

Maybe. Again, I have to fall back on the "it's a massive game, getting everything right is impossible." What's important about Bethesda games are the tools they provide you, the options you have in playing the game, not the fine balance of each of them. If you'd prefer a smaller, focused experience, well, that's fine, but that's not really the kind of game they intend to make.

I prefer games where pretty much every part of it is not underdeveloped. Once I said that I believe that RPGs can be put in three categories by which their main focus is, combat, exploration and/or storytelling. Bethesda were never great storytellers, they did know how to make interesting lore but not really the main story lines. The last Beth game with decent combat was Battlespire and worthwhile exploration Morrowind. To me the new Bethesda games fail on all three of those things and while they do have some good moments in them its just not enough to overshadow the bad parts.

Perhaps. But there are few developers making games the sheer size Bethesda tackles, and usually that means corners cut somewhere. With Bethesda, it's (lately) quality of writing and the finer points of game balance. If it were Piranha Bytes, it'd probably be polish, or stability, or glitches, etc. Talking in hypotheticals of what another developer *might* be able to do is pretty fruitless because every project and every developer is different, and often success is a result of factors entirely external to the development itself (like publisher intervention or bankruptcy of a parent company).

Again why not make a slightly smaller game in scope but make the world much more interesting.

Morrowind is actually significantly smaller than Oblivion in terms of world size and number of locations, albeit it is more dense. However, most characters also used the same copy-pasted dialogue everywhere, the game was intended to be played on a PC by a dedicated audience of RPG fans vs. the more casual mass audiences newer Bethesda games are targeted towards, and voice acting was not a concern.

The land mass is smaller but majority of the Oblivions world is made from empty fields and forests and almost all of dungeons in Oblivion are pretty much the same. Its like baking a delicious bread and next day you decide to make much bigger one but use the same amount of dough. Yeah it will be bigger in diameter but it will be flat.

For the record, Oblivion had all that same stuff in many of its dungeons. I remember stuff like underground castles full of necromancers, or huge mass burial grounds, etc. that all had pieces of unique lore to contribute to the world. Yes, the game was lacking unique loot and enemies, and it did have more filler dungeons than Morrowind without anything of interest, but I think it's unfair to say Oblivion had no such details. Skyrim definitely gets very close to Morrowind's own standard as well.

True there are few of those moments but they are lost in the sea of poorly designed dungeons.

Oh, I fully agree. I'm just saying that competition isn't very stiff these days. And we all know that Gothic 3, which tried to bring those production values to the next level, was also kind of a fucking awful mess, and still sort of sucks after the community patches and mods.

If PB had the budget and control of their own production times I have no doubt they would produce a better game then anything this Bethesda have done.

Fun fact: every console generation jump results in a 25-50% average development cost increase, and usually take longer to make as well. Sooner or later you are going to have to cut corners to balance the books.

And seeing how Bethesda have been working for years with familiar engine and still manages to create underwhelming games I shudder to think how even more shallower games they can create.

I agree with all of this, but again - creating unique gameplay scenarios, especially when special scripting etc. is involved, tends to eat up development time. That's not really an excuse for boring dungeons, but it's clear Bethesda wanted to have a formula of sorts to design Skyrim around - though outside of repetitive combat, there is a decent variety in dungeons, like caves full of gaints, old tombs, smuggler holds with lots of water to skim through, icy, claustrophobic tunnels, etc. I think the bigger problem is more that all the interesting dungeons are quest-related, rather than things you find during regular exploration (like that one where you have to hide in shadows to avoid taking fire damage).

Well I agree but there is the same problem of too many similar dungeons which manages suck out all the fun.

Not at all. But I am more than happy to point out the good things Bethesda do. I know it's cool to bash them constantly (and I used to do it a lot, trust me), but I think it's a more interesting discussion to be able to see both what a game does wrong and what it does right, rather than just focus on the negatives or what I personally want out of that game, even though it might be contradictory to the design goals.

Problem is that bad things in the game can be easily fixed yet we are depended on modders to make certain part of gameplay better flashed out and balanced. I remember seeing a video of features that Bethesda staff allegedly made in one week after the release of Skyrim, things like mounted combat and spears and if they really did all of that in a week why it isnt in the game.

In conclusion I see Bethesda as quite lazy developer that does bare minimum work and its sad that the only RPG company out there that has the power to create anything they want is satisfied with mediocrity.

Gord

Arcane
I remember seeing a video of features that Bethesda staff allegedly made in one week after the release of Skyrim, things like mounted combat and spears and if they really did all of that in a week why it isnt in the game.

Some of those features have been introduced into the game by the last patches.
Say what you will, but with Skyrim Bethesda has improved in some aspects - the game was more stable on release, had better post-release support and general art direction and world design has improved, too. Certainly more than bare minimum.

And yes, I know the game has still many flaws (and isn't back to Morrowind level) and Bethesda's constant quest for accessibility is :decline:.
Also the usually pre-release Bethesda-speak (read: blatant lies) have been present with Skyrim, too. They certainly have a long way to go to be considered a good developer.
Still, sea is right with this part:

I know it's cool to bash them constantly (and I used to do it a lot, trust me), but I think it's a more interesting discussion to be able to see both what a game does wrong and what it does right, rather than just focus on the negatives or what I personally want out of that game, even though it might be contradictory to the design goals.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They certainly have a long way to go to be considered a good developer.
Pre-Zenimax Bethesda was a good developer.

Morrowind was the first plunge into the abyss; it's a huge clusterfuck in many ways and a massive decline after Daggerfall and merely saved by its setting and Michael Kirkbride's LSD trips that managed to pass as lore.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sea said:
"it's a massive game, getting everything right is impossible."
But there's a subtle difference between 'not getting everything right' and executing the entire game mechanics at 20/60% capability, including the very core elements of the gameplay. I can't think of a single a single thing about Skyrim that has been done right, everything is shallow, medicore or broken at some point. Therefore by using cheap tricks you may outsmart basically any challenge, which is quite a probity check. Also the fact that Skyrim has some improvements over Oblivion isn't really that much of a reedeming factor, considering how fuckin' awful this game was. And I totally disagree about "Morrowind magic", because this was pretty much an effect of the art direction - Skyrim with its generic fantasy setting and WoW orcs is nothing alike.

GaemzDood

Educated
Some of those features have been introduced into the game by the last patches.
Say what you will, but with Skyrim Bethesda has improved in some aspects - the game was more stable on release, had better post-release support and general art direction and world design has improved, too. Certainly more than bare minimum.

And yes, I know the game has still many flaws (and isn't back to Morrowind level) and Bethesda's constant quest for accessibility is :decline:.
Also the usually pre-release Bethesda-speak (read: blatant lies) have been present with Skyrim, too. They certainly have a long way to go to be considered a good developer.
Still, sea is right with this part:

Skyrim is an improvement & a massive decline. The improvements consist of everything you mentioned, the writing, combat, having actual decisions, & the fact that there's not as much level scaling as Oblivion. However, its unbelievablely dumbed down; there's still level scaling (I put on guard's armor at level 1), there's only 18 stats, the equipment system is dumbed down (can't equip two different forms of armor on the same body part & you can only wear two rings), its easily exploitable (keep bringing Ri' Sood's health down and you'll level up; he can't die, stand on rocks and use arrows to kill a giant while I'm level 4, & piss off 3 Mammoth then stay in a hut and use spells on them) & there's still regenerating mana which makes potions virtually useless. Skyrim is an improvement over Oblivion (then again, its not hard to make a game that's better than Oblivion) but there's not much of a reason to play Skyrim with better action RPGs out there like Risen, The Witcher, & Gothic (not counting Forsaken Gods & ArcaniA).

Kahlis

Cipher
Yeah, the writing in Skyrim was virtually nonexistant. Some of the monologues by Ulfric Stormcloak were alright, but everybody else spoke like a ten year old.

Gerrard

Arcane
Choices in Skyrim:
You can do this quest... or... you can not do it!
FREEDOM FUCK YEAH

The things that are good about Bethesda games, and which reveal their design talent, are kind of separate from what make a good RPG.
  • Bethesda games are extremely well paced. They have their core combat/loot/etc. gameplay loop down to a T, on the micro level. On the wider structural level, their worlds are just the right size and have just the right amount of content to always make you want to go over that next hill, or poke your head in another dungeon.
  • They create universal systems and mechanics that interact with each other in interesting ways. When the core gameplay loop fails, there is always something to do, whether it's talking to an NPC, picking a pocket, repairing gear, or just watching an emergent conflict between two monsters. In a big open-ended game, the benefit of all these variables interacting cannot be understated, and makes their worlds feel alive.
  • They have an incredible eye for detail. Let's face it, Bethesda games are completely packed with detail in a way that most other games aren't, even much smaller games. This makes exploring their worlds fun; there's all sorts of little things you constantly run across. The amount of work involved in this can't be understated.
  • I think their art department is very good. The intro to The Pitt, gazing across Skyrim or the Capital Wasteland for the first time, etc. are all moments that are going to be entrenched in my memory for a long time. Few other developers create such visually captivating scenes in-engine, and then lets you actually visit each and every thing you can see.
  • Similarly, Bethesda have excellent environmental storytelling. Fallout 3 showed this off, both in its environment design and in smaller little moments. Their level designers have a very good grasp of how to imply events or create mood without any character saying a word.
  • Finally, I think Bethesda are excellent at using level and scenario design as tools to educate the player about play mechanics. Take a look at the beginning of Skyrim or Fallout 3, or Morrowind for great examples of how the shape of the landscape, visual landmarks, roads and paths, and other level design devices work to lead the player around. Outside of the awful forced tutorial segments, pretty much all of their games have well-paced discovery of new mechanics that teaches players new game features and introduces new concepts in a way that feels like natural gameplay. In an open world setting, this is very hard to do, and Bethesda do it very well. Personally, I think this is one of the reasons games like Oblivion sell millions while Gothic etc. do not - Bethesda have a very keen understanding of how to intuitively structure gameplay without resorting to the same heavy-handed devices other developers do.
Yes, their writing sucks and their engine tech is awful, and oftentimes their games are badly balanced. As I said, as RPGs their games fail. But, a lot of the fundamentals of design any developer should know, Bethesda know very well and execute on. This is something that's not immediately obvious when playing their games, but it does not happen accidentally and is one of the hardest parts of creating a game to get right - to make everything "flow" in a way that keeps people coming back for dozens or even hundreds of hours. I don't know what kind of corporate culture they have, but I suspect it is one that emphasizes art and design over everything else.

It's very rare nowadays that I find something on the internet which "hits" me so strongly that I end up wanting to re-read it again and again.

Thank you for expressing what I felt, but couldn't articulate myself. :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Choices in Skyrim:
You can do this quest... or... you can not do it!
FREEDOM FUCK YEAH
Still more freedom than Mass Effect 1.

Fuckface: Here's a quest, Shepard.
Shepard: I don't want it.
Fuckface: Well, take it anyway.
Shepard: I said--
Fuckface: Too late. It's in your quest journal now!
Shepard: Gah!
Fuckface: At BioWare, we never want the player to miss out on exciting things!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom