Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

YECgcDP.png

Off a Legendary Bloatfly. I'd ask how, but...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game pacing is completely fucked up. It's very hard to enjoy the game because everything turns to shit in like 2 seconds (Settlement attacked by 8 supermutants and so on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The game pacing is completely fucked up. It's very hard to enjoy the game because everything turns to shit in like 2 seconds (Settlement attacked by 8 supermutants and so on.
Build defenses, scrub.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yes, build defenses so then your towns never get attacked and you have to use the console to ever see your defenses be used. It's TOTALLY fun!

uninstall.exe

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

If your defense is high enough (I think greater than your water + food) then you will very rarely get attacked. You can also just simply not defend the settlement, it's not really a big deal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The upshot is that it's not in any way related to the 'main' gameplay itself. That's why it fails. It's a separate mini-game with no relevance to the open world shooter part.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Good for people on PC because the controls were absolutely awful. You have to use the arrows to navigate the construction stuff.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The upshot is that it's not in any way related to the 'main' gameplay itself. That's why it fails. It's a separate mini-game with no relevance to the open world shooter part.

Actually you do use the settlement to build a teleporter to get into the institute :lol:

I do agree that they should've built the story around the settlements in a meaningful fashion.

After my first (rather short) play session of this game I'm coming away not happy, not sad, not angry, but just completely and utterly baffled.

How do you see what New Vegas got right after Fallout 3 and then just not do any of that? Who in their right mind thought that giving your character a fucking baby was a good idea? The railroading with your shitheel Father in 3 was one of the biggest criticisms of the game. Then NV comes along and uses a quality framing device that doesn't have any of that baggage and still manages to tell a decent story. Bethesda sees this, and then... goes right back to railroading you?

And your character is voiced now, the intention presumably being to make it easier to connect with the story they're telling. To further define the character, and have a more structured narrative. Considering the railroading, that would be great! They could go the route of Mass Effect or The Witcher. I mean, it probably wouldn't be good, because Bethesda, but at least the vision would be clear. But they don't do that, because they're apparently idiots who have no clear vision. Instead, they go to great and absurd lengths to make sure that they can maintain the illusion that you're playing your own character, as in the previous Fallouts. They do this by making the dialogue as bland as humanly possible. But that doesn't work, because you have a fucking baby already. You have a clear cut past, motivation, and character. But what you don't have is any dialogue that expresses this that's not awful, vague, and milquetoast.

It's just so bizarre. I've never really been invested in the Fallout series, so 4 being bad would not be a huge deal to me. But it's just so fucking weird. It's like if the designers wanted the best of both Mass Effect and Fallout 3, met halfway, and got the worst of both worlds. The design of it is actively working against itself. They got neither substantial dialogue nor meaningful character definition. Instead they just got nothing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How do you see what New Vegas got right after Fallout 3 and then just not do any of that? Who in their right mind thought that giving your character a fucking baby was a good idea? The railroading with your shitheel Father in 3 was one of the biggest criticisms of the game. Then NV comes along and uses a quality framing device that doesn't have any of that baggage and still manages to tell a decent story. Bethesda sees this, and then... goes right back to railroading you?
But it turns out (spoiler) your son is a middle-aged guy. So it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Shammy

Learned
After my first (rather short) play session of this game I'm coming away not happy, not sad, not angry, but just completely and utterly baffled.

And your character is voiced now, the intention presumably being to make it easier to connect with the story they're telling. To further define the character, and have a more structured narrative. Considering the railroading, that would be great! They could go the route of Mass Effect or The Witcher. I mean, it probably wouldn't be good, because Bethesda, but at least the vision would be clear. But they don't do that, because they're apparently idiots who have no clear vision. Instead, they go to great and absurd lengths to make sure that they can maintain the illusion that you're playing your own character, as in the previous Fallouts. They do this by making the dialogue as bland as humanly possible. But that doesn't work, because you have a fucking baby already. You have a clear cut past, motivation, and character. But what you don't have is any dialogue that expresses this that's not awful, vague, and milquetoast.

It's just so bizarre. I've never really been invested in the Fallout series, so 4 being bad would not be a huge deal to me. But it's just so fucking weird. It's like if the designers wanted the best of both Mass Effect and Fallout 3, met halfway, and got the worst of both worlds. The design of it is actively working against itself. They got neither substantial dialogue nor meaningful character definition. Instead they just got nothing.
The whole game just feels awkward when it comes to narrative design, both on a micro and macro level. Events feel un-connected, the world bland, the characters devoid of anything interesting, the extremely railroaded dialogue and gameplay choices... as you said it's just bizarre.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I just find it so fucking bizarre that Bethesda keep trying and failing to make their iterations of Fallout these personalized stories focused on a semi pre-defined character and his or her family, when they're clearly just so fucking bad at it, especially when they already had a perfectly good formula with the blank slate prisoner setup of the prior Elder Scrolls games.

Oh, and pro-tip for settlements. I'm pretty sure your settlers are market as essential NPCs if you arrive to defend one from an attack. I arrived when a band of super mutants decided to attack mine, and I saw a settler take a molotov cocktail to the face and all he did was go into the stagger animation that your companions go in to when their health reaches zero.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I just find it so fucking bizarre that Bethesda keep trying and failing to make their iterations of Fallout these personalized stories focused on a semi pre-defined character and his or her family, when they're clearly just so fucking bad at it, especially when they already had a perfectly good formula with the blank slate prisoner setup of the prior Elder Scrolls games.
The results of market research.

Beastro

Arcane
People crave EMO-SHUN-AL engagement.

How many fucking FO players want to go chasing their father or child around?

How many FO4 players even have children much less have a positive idea of children?

All those teens getting their immersion on trying to save their little Uncanny Valley kiddie is something I can totally see...

Having a kid you care for shouldn't necessarily predefine your character, it could be just a compelling reason to go out and have adventures. It's not like setting out to save the vault or the tribe defined the previous heroes either.

Crime lords can act nice with their family and be horrifying to everyone else. Still, I'm not sure how much you can deviate from the "nice but worried parent" model.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Its like you people still don't get it after playing Bethesda games all these years. Nobody plays that shit for the plot.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I like how whenever I need to persuade someone, a quick change of clothes boosts my Charisma by 5 points.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Good for people on PC because the controls were absolutely awful. You have to use the arrows to navigate the construction stuff.

And when you have movement configured on the arrow keys (which is quite usual for left handed bros) then you cannot move at all during construction. Scratch that you can auto move when pressing x, which will propel you forward until you press it again. A lot of thought went into the pc ui. Also the item to build will in 90% of the cases "snap" to the least logical position. So i dont bother with the building shit that much. It does give you xp though. My guess is you can level up quite nicely just building shit.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Pretty much every piece of clothing in the game boosts SPECIAL stats. Here's my character in her battle armor:

x1zhi5h.jpg

I'm getting +2 Endurance from the hat, +1 Perception from the glasses and +1 to Agility and Strength from the baseball uniform. Apparently the prewar world was full of wizards mass-producing magic items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom