Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

PlayerEmers

Novice
I mean the TV series. That's Fallout 4.

Yeah... let's go ahead and keep that filth in it's own thread mkay?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/fallout-tv-series-on-amazon.133821/

That_Would_Be_Great_meme.jpg

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

feels bad to be a newfag

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The new patch got F4SE broken, alongside a bunch of big mods too. For those interested, there's a way to downgrade the game to the previous version. You can do it through the Steam console, using the depots:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42147?tab=posts

Use the depots that match your desired language. Execute the lines in the Steam console one by one, it will download faster. After all is downloaded, find the folder and copy the content into the Fallout 4 root installation folder. Go to the "Data" folder, grab all the Creation kit content and delete that shit (Or move it into another folder). The game should run fine now. If you want to avoid the game of getting updated again, go to the steamapps folder, search for the "appmanifest_377160.acf", go to properties and make it "read-only". Congrats! You can go back and enjoy your futa mods again without todd ruining the fun.

If you don't want to downgrade, then the only option is to wait until the mods get updated too. Which may be never, because the F4 modding scene is quite dead compared to Skyrim.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
1) search "no settlement attacks" on the Nexus, there's a couple of different mods disabling that crap;
It's not the settlement attacks that bothered me. It's the fact you could build an uber-defended settlement with turrets everywhere, walls, and arm the settlers to the gills and you still have to go there when there's a raid on that settlement. You go to the settlement and just stand there, and the settlers and turrets wreck the invaders with zero casualties. You don't go to the settlement with the same attackers, then go there when it's over, and there's dead settlers and broken stuff. It's the fact that game FORCES you to go there, either by design or because of the really shitty "autocombat" that the game has which they never fixed.

To be honest, I hated Fallout 4's story and world building so much, I primarily just did enough of it to unlock settlements and mainly did those things. But that's when you start to figure out that no matter how many settlement mods you toss in to the game, there's other games that do it far, far better. Fallout 4 and Fallout Tactics are the only two Fallout games that I've purchased that I never beat - and I got farther in Tactics.

NotSweeper

Educated
It's not the settlement attacks that bothered me. It's the fact you could build an uber-defended settlement with turrets everywhere, walls, and arm the settlers to the gills and you still have to go there when there's a raid on that settlement. You go to the settlement and just stand there, and the settlers and turrets wreck the invaders with zero casualties. You don't go to the settlement with the same attackers, then go there when it's over, and there's dead settlers and broken stuff. It's the fact that game FORCES you to go there, either by design or because of the really shitty "autocombat" that the game has which they never fixed.
67b.jpg

Settlement attacks conflict with the best mechanic Fallout 4 introduced, survival difficulty. Had an attack pop-up for Sanctuary, couldn't get there in time but when I did I find all of my radstag meat fucking disappeared... I don't know if it disappeared as a result of the attack or if the settlers simply took all of it...
So unfortunately the best way to play Fallout 4 is to completely ignore settlements, or do them but keep all of your important shit in a settlement that has 0 pop and isn't linked to any other settlements.
All of this could have been avoided by having the settlement defense stat be a bigger factor, instead of always having a 30% chance for the attack to succeed if it's autoresolved.
Bravo Todd, bravo.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
NotSweeper has the right idea for those that don't enjoy the settlements. Simply don't set up beacons. Sanctuary is a lost cause, but for that part of the map, the Red Rocket is a stones throw away. Having a bunch of your own personal rest stops is great. Hangman's Alley is an excellent solo settlement location. You can still build on these or just slap a bed town and call it a day.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, if you don't attend the attack, the game calculates the outcome based on your defense vs. your resources and a random dice roll, but I don't recall the formula. It is possible to set it up so the settlement always or nearly always wins in your absence, but you gotta stack a lot of defense.

Really, it's not worth bothering with. Just get one of those NSA mods and relegate settlements to local operating bases where you can rest and resupply, maybe also pick up the odd radiant quest. You can still populate them to have access to shops, but don't worry about attacks anymore.

Settlement attacks conflict with the best mechanic Fallout 4 introduced, survival difficulty.
Yep. And settlement building conflicts with Survival's weight restrictions. Disjointed design through and through.

So unfortunately the best way to play Fallout 4 is to completely ignore settlements, or do them but keep all of your important shit in a settlement that has 0 pop and isn't linked to any other settlements.
Use this - buildable containers with a full shared inventory (including weapons and armour), independent of supply lines, and it will keep your shit safe from those pesky NPCs. Basically, the player stashes from STALKER.

Gargaune

Magister
lol

I went over to the Nexus forums to have a look at the trainwreck, here's a couple of choice picks:

I figure having Steam running in offline mode for a while should hold off the update... But that is a temporary solution as I've found out on another game that eventually Steam will require you to update it even if Steam has been in offline mode while still connected to the Internet, because Steam itself still updates in offline mode.
Yep! No more offline privileges for you, citizen, you'll be online and you'll motherfucking like it! Been that way for a while now. Keep "purchasing products" on Steam, though, I'm sure this sort of shit won't happen again.

BGS changed the BA2 (archive) format. I just recreated the archive of my Recruit Jenny mod with the updated Archive2, the offical dev tool to create archives beyond the Creation Kit. Since Recruit Jenny contains voice assets as well, I chose Compression: None, everything was left on default. The pre-update EXE (v1.10.163) couldn't load the archive (quest script wasn't detected, Jenny had no voice) but it didn't crash. I opened the .esp of Recruit Jenny with the updated Creation Kit, then saved it. The pre-update EXE (v1.10.163) could load it fine (mod file Header Version didn't change either). (The post-update EXE (v1.10.980) can load earlier BA2 files, they can be used for pre/post update compatibility).
TL;DR: Todd updated the BA2 format such that the new .exe can read the old ones, but BA2s generated on the new standard can't be loaded by the old builds. If it's true, it'll force a fracture in the modding scene, like the split between Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition except this time there'll be no separate packages. We've reached the point where it's impossible to tell the difference between Bethesda's incompetence and outright malice.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They should have used the highly sophistimicated Egosoft method of combat resolution: big number>smol number. Or at least something closer to it.

Of course it's silly having a so-called "Fallout" game being a base building simulator in the first place.

NotSweeper

Educated
Use this - buildable containers with a full shared inventory (including weapons and armour), independent of supply lines, and it will keep your shit safe from those pesky NPCs. Basically, the player stashes from STALKER.
That's cool and all, but
  1. I'm very autistic when it comes to modding in that I refuse to mod the game in any way because it fundamentally changes the nature of the game (overhauls can be cool)
  2. I refuse to use mods to fix glaring design decisions that resulted from stupidity and got reinforced by laziness
  3. I'll prolly never play F4 again
Fuck you Todd.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
We've reached the point where it's impossible to tell the difference between Bethesda's incompetence and outright malice.
No, its clearly incompetence, as is always with Bethesda. Todd could broadcast an evil genius speech about nuking the planet, and then nuke the planet, and I'd still think it happened by mistake.

Yosharian

Arcane
Apparently the ultrawide that they incorporated into this update features simply the option of having an ultrawide resolution and nothing more, the UI is simply stretched and doesn't look right in the workshop etc

Amazing stuff

and half the new toys they implemented are bugged on console apparently one of them doesn't even have working textures so its invisible

Stella Brando

Arcane
Lol at the people "waiting for the update" to start their next FO4 playthrough.

Fallout 4 is fun as long as you get blackout-drunk through the first hour or so, and then follow the golden rule of Bethesda games: pretend the main story never happened.

Gargaune

Magister
That's cool and all, but
  1. I'm very autistic when it comes to modding in that I refuse to mod the game in any way because it fundamentally changes the nature of the game (overhauls can be cool)
  2. I refuse to use mods to fix glaring design decisions that resulted from stupidity and got reinforced by laziness
  3. I'll prolly never play F4 again
Fuck you Todd.
Modding is the main gameplay loop of Bethesda Game™, if you don't partake, you shouldn't waste your time with it at all.

At this point, however, I'm not sure even modders should play Bethesda Game™ anymore. I mean why bother? Clearly, even after a decade your sandcastle's not safe from Todd wandering in drunk and giving it a good kick. This latest episode might be the most amazing "fuck you" I've seen Bethesda treat their customers to, delivering jack shit while breaking people's setups and promising to leave holdouts behind. It's not like Skyrim Special Edition where they could hide behind "well, 64-bit code base, updated shaders, blah blah", there's literally no value this time.

I think this has pretty much made my mind up not to buy Starfield. The excitement passed a long time ago but I was still thinking maybe after the CK comes out and some interesting mods crop up, but now what's the point? Give Bethesda a hundred bucks plus have them wreck my shit forever/whenever? Nah, fuck off.

No, its clearly incompetence, as is always with Bethesda. Todd could broadcast an evil genius speech about nuking the planet, and then nuke the planet, and I'd still think it happened by mistake.
I dunno, man, that's the point. Sure, incompetence is the logical supposition, but it's just gotten so stupid that... I mean, what, does shit-smeared toilet paper count for a CV around there?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
lol

I went over to the Nexus forums to have a look at the trainwreck, here's a couple of choice picks:

I figure having Steam running in offline mode for a while should hold off the update... But that is a temporary solution as I've found out on another game that eventually Steam will require you to update it even if Steam has been in offline mode while still connected to the Internet, because Steam itself still updates in offline mode.
Yep! No more offline privileges for you, citizen, you'll be online and you'll motherfucking like it! Been that way for a while now. Keep "purchasing products" on Steam, though, I'm sure this sort of shit won't happen again.

BGS changed the BA2 (archive) format. I just recreated the archive of my Recruit Jenny mod with the updated Archive2, the offical dev tool to create archives beyond the Creation Kit. Since Recruit Jenny contains voice assets as well, I chose Compression: None, everything was left on default. The pre-update EXE (v1.10.163) couldn't load the archive (quest script wasn't detected, Jenny had no voice) but it didn't crash. I opened the .esp of Recruit Jenny with the updated Creation Kit, then saved it. The pre-update EXE (v1.10.163) could load it fine (mod file Header Version didn't change either). (The post-update EXE (v1.10.980) can load earlier BA2 files, they can be used for pre/post update compatibility).
TL;DR: Todd updated the BA2 format such that the new .exe can read the old ones, but BA2s generated on the new standard can't be loaded by the old builds. If it's true, it'll force a fracture in the modding scene, like the split between Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition except this time there'll be no separate packages. We've reached the point where it's impossible to tell the difference between Bethesda's incompetence and outright malice.
We'll see.
One of the Skyrim Anniversary updates made a massive change to the ESL format, and it resulted in this mod for older versions, namely regular SE.
I'm sure a similar thing can be patched in for the older Fallout 4 executable, assuming Bethesda didn't really fix anything worthwhile.

Gargaune

Magister
We'll see.
One of the Skyrim Anniversary updates made a massive change to the ESL format, and it resulted in this mod for older versions, namely regular SE.
I'm sure a similar thing can be patched in for the older Fallout 4 executable, assuming Bethesda didn't really fix anything worthwhile.
I don't think anything like that's going to happen, firstly because these won't be separate products, formally, and secondly because the Fo4 modding scene is considerably smaller and less interested than Skyrim's. What could happen is that modders collectively choose to use the old BA2 format when packing their assets, but that's a coin toss.

P.S. lol at "Bethesda fixing anything worthwhile."

ArchAngel

Arcane
"Fallout 4's "next gen" update is nearly 15 gigs, breaks modded saves, and doesn't seem to change much at all."
Even the mainstream press giving 'em stick. :lol:

You know, I could give Beth a pass for making a rubbish Starfield, but this horseshit is something else.
Lets not try to pretend Fallout 4 was ever good. Even Starfield is better than Fo4.
I've tried playing Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fo3, Fo4 and Starfield. Most fun part of all those games was ship building in Starfield. Bethesda games were always bad like 99% of all FP open world games where you spend 99% of the time doing not really much but "exploring" or doing terrible combat. Even FNV was terrible where a decent team tried to turn shit into something better but only managed to put some cream on top of it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even Starfield is better than Fo4.
Starfield is without exaggeration the worst game Bethesda has released.
They are all terrible games but Starfield has better gun play than any of their Fallout games and Ship building and just being able to walk through ships and board enemy ships is cooler than anything in any of their games. The rest is crap just like all their other games.

ind33d

Learned
Even Starfield is better than Fo4.
Starfield is without exaggeration the worst game Bethesda has released.
They are all terrible games but Starfield has better gun play than any of their Fallout games and Ship building and just being able to walk through ships and board enemy ships is cooler than anything in any of their games. The rest is crap just like all their other games.
it's true, ironically if starfield only consisted of warhammer-style boarding actions, everyone would say it's incredible

Gargaune

Magister
Lets not try to pretend Fallout 4 was ever good. Even Starfield is better than Fo4.
I've had fun with Fo4 in spite of its many problems, whereas with Starfield I can't say - I haven't played it yet because it seems to have even bigger problems, and it doesn't look I'll be playing it because Bethesda are committed to driving what little remains of their rep right into the fucking ground.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What rep did Bethesda ever have? They are like that young football player everyone says is a hot prospect, and can develop into a star, and we have something really special here folks, and then suddenly he is 30 years old and still a crude "hot prospect".
Very little improvement between Oblivion and Starfield. And Obliviou already was the clunky game that maaaaan this can be great if only they improved it a bit. And they didn't. They've been re-re-re-re-re-releasing Oblivion since.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fallout 4 is trash both as a Fallout entry and as RPG. But is an ok looter shooter, with decent environments and enemy variety. Starfield has worse gameplay, the environments are randomly generated and the atmosphere is very dull. Is very garbo, even by Bethesda standards. They should have left Obsidian make another Fallout with the F4 assets, while they focused on the development of TES VI.

btw here's how the new patch is doing

https://packaged-media.redd.it/pbqs...=081ce264980f3ef6d56f1c9bdfc157aa7cbb8387#t=0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom