Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Modron

Arcane
I apologize for being unaware of the current state or semi current state, I should say, of console capabilities; I tend to avoid interacting with console players.

Gargaune

Arcane

Fallout 4 Next Gen Matswap Bug Fix

82516-1715362328-1089811593.png

A workaround for the matswap bug introduced by the Next Gen update. If Beth ever fixes it, this mod will be taken down.

:lol:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The level of actual real-world interest of any location shouldn’t really matter to how interesting that location is in a Fallout game. It’s a post apocalyptic game, in a series where the pre-war locations shouldn’t really look much of anything like our own real-world versions of them.
Bethesda didn't get the memo and thus 50s cities stay 50s with some extra tech here and there. So in Bethesda's eyes, what was boring in the 50s will be boring in the 2070's and by extent into the post-apocalypse.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's that time

https://bethesda.net/en/article/0xBHwy048KMmWqzKkrknu/fallout-4-next-gen-update-2-notes

Fallout 4 has received a new update that adds the ability to manage your control over the game’s graphic fidelity or performance.
There have also been additional fixes and improvements to address some of the feedback you provided us with on the previous update.
Update Versions

Xbox Series S|X: 1.10.765
PlayStation 5: 1.10.985
PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One: 1.10.984

Patch Highlights
Xbox Series S|X and PlayStation 5 Display Settings
Thanks to your feedback, we’ve been able to implement the ability to control your graphic fidelity and performance. We highly recommend you run with the default settings but now you can change your options to better fit your playstyle and display.
Frame Rate Target
Frame Rate Target allows you to choose between 30, 40, and 60 (default). It is important to note that to select 40, your display must be able to support 120hz.
Visual and Performance Prioritization
You can now choose between Visuals and Performance (default) while trying to maintain frame rate target. If you choose Frame Rate Target of 60, we recommend selecting Performance. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier.
Please note both modes can only be changed from the main menu.
Bug Fixes

General stability improvements
Fixed visual issue with certain imagespaces
Auto HDR is re-enabled (Xbox Series S|X)
Fixed issue where reserved space was not displayed correctly in load order menu (Xbox Series S|X)
Fixed issue with character name field when in widescreen mode. (PC)
Fixed an issue that occasionally caused bundles to not fully download and could cause a crash
Fixed an issue with material swaps
Fixed an issue with load order that would break DLC until a restart after downloading mods (PlayStation 5)
Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause a crash if you returned to the Main Menu with queued mods still downloading (PlayStation 5)
Fixed an issue that could cause the Creation Club menu to not appear (Microsoft Store)
Fixed a crash that could occur when connecting to the network after a suspend/resume with the network disabled (Xbox One)

Creations Fixes

Fixed missing art issue with certain Creations

Gargaune

Arcane
I never played this game, but seeing this shit made me genuinely LOL. Is this game really so bad?
Not sure what you're asking about in this case. Settlements proved a popular feature, so Bethesda released a whole systems-based workshop-centric DLC to let people fuck around, a bit like Minecraft I guess? That's what you're seeing in that video, someone building a better mousetrap for shits and giggles.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Nothing wrong with Boston, problem is with Bethesda and their design choices. If you place story of Fallout 4 in any other city it would still be a equally bad game only with maybe few more interesting vistas.

Biggest problem is that Bethesda just cant comprehend a post apocalyptic society that flourishes and rebuilds.
This is quite true. They really can't figure out that if they want it more apocalyptic, they should probably set it much earlier than 200 years after the Great War. They don't seem to get that if you have settlements trading, which they do in both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, given time, they'll probably form some kind of joint regional system given time. And 200 years is a lot of time. They also don't seem to get that vaults have GECKs, because they have yet to show an example of the use of a GECK in any of their games. Even the failed vaults would have a GECK in them. At some point, someone should have used a few of these things to give their settlement a leg up, particularly if all these people at one point can trace their lineage back to a vault.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing wrong with Boston, problem is with Bethesda and their design choices. If you place story of Fallout 4 in any other city it would still be a equally bad game only with maybe few more interesting vistas.

Biggest problem is that Bethesda just cant comprehend a post apocalyptic society that flourishes and rebuilds.
This is quite true. They really can't figure out that if they want it more apocalyptic, they should probably set it much earlier than 200 years after the Great War. They don't seem to get that if you have settlements trading, which they do in both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, given time, they'll probably form some kind of joint regional system given time. And 200 years is a lot of time. They also don't seem to get that vaults have GECKs, because they have yet to show an example of the use of a GECK in any of their games. Even the failed vaults would have a GECK in them. At some point, someone should have used a few of these things to give their settlement a leg up, particularly if all these people at one point can trace their lineage back to a vault.

You dont even need GECK, after centuries you should have some semblance of civilized society even without high tech. Take for example the movie Postman, even more advanced level of civilization is more then realistic at the timeline of Fallout 4. And for gameplay purposes you can still have regions of the map that are infested by mutants or controlled by gangs.

What Bethesda does with the setting just makes no sense.

Bulo

Scholar
The Capital Wasteland is believable enough, at least in premise. It has been ravaged by super mutants since shortly after the bombs fell, leaving little opportunity for societal development. People are forced to live in what amount to bunkers (Megaton, Rivet City, Underworld, the Pentagon). Contrariwise, in Fallout 1, super mutants hardly even register as a threat. Scorpions and raiders pose a greater threat to civilisation than the Master's Army, in the short term anyway. That said, most settlements in Fallout 3 make fuck all sense

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You dont even need GECK, after centuries you should have some semblance of civilized society even without high tech. Take for example the movie Postman, even more advanced level of civilization is more then realistic at the timeline of Fallout 4. And for gameplay purposes you can still have regions of the map that are infested by mutants or controlled by gangs.

You don't need a GECK, I agree, but the elephant in the room is that they exist in that setting. They're an established part of the world and we know there's at least 112 vaults made by Vault-Tec. Supposedly several of those vaults had multiple GECKs. We also wouldn't know how many GECKs they produced for future vault construction.
The Capital Wasteland is believable enough, at least in premise. It has been ravaged by super mutants since shortly after the bombs fell, leaving little opportunity for societal development.
You mean the supermutants that exist right next to Little Lamplight with their modest wooden barricades? Those supermutants?
Contrariwise, in Fallout 1, super mutants hardly even register as a threat.
They were more of a threat before the first patch when towns would start to fall to supermutant invasion one after another depending on how long it took to beat the game.

Bulo

Scholar
You mean the supermutants that exist right next to Little Lamplight with their modest wooden barricades? Those supermutants?
As I said, most settlements don't make sense
They were more of a threat before the first patch when towns would start to fall to supermutant invasion one after another depending on how long it took to beat the game.
Which only reinforces the idea that having super mutants on your doorstep is not good for a budding civilisation

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Capital Wasteland is believable enough, at least in premise. It has been ravaged by super mutants since shortly after the bombs fell, leaving little opportunity for societal development. People are forced to live in what amount to bunkers (Megaton, Rivet City, Underworld, the Pentagon). Contrariwise, in Fallout 1, super mutants hardly even register as a threat. Scorpions and raiders pose a greater threat to civilisation than the Master's Army, in the short term anyway. That said, most settlements in Fallout 3 make fuck all sense
Even if we accept that Capital Wasteland has such a big concentration of mutants and bandits that little civilization is possible, 200 years is more then enough to pack your stuff and just leave. Instead of living in shacks in a dead world surrounded by monsters while barely armed.

You don't need a GECK, I agree, but the elephant in the room is that they exist in that setting. They're an established part of the world and we know there's at least 112 vaults made by Vault-Tec. Supposedly several of those vaults had multiple GECKs. We also wouldn't know how many GECKs they produced for future vault construction.
I completely agree, which makes even it all even less sense. Im just pointing out that even without GECK there is no reason for civilization be so underdeveloped.

Bulo

Scholar
Even if we accept that Capital Wasteland has such a big concentration of mutants and bandits that little civilization is possible, 200 years is more then enough to pack your stuff and just leave. Instead of living in shacks in a dead world surrounded by monsters while barely armed.
As much as it pains me to defend Bethesda's design (or lack thereof), I don't think this is a particularly moving argument. Humans have lived beside all sorts of horrors throughout history; they don't like being forced to vacate their homes; and who's to say that anywhere else on the East Coast is faring any better?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
As much as it pains me to defend Bethesda's design (or lack thereof), I don't think this is a particularly moving argument. Humans have lived beside all sorts of horrors throughout history; they don't like being forced to vacate their homes; and who's to say that anywhere else on the East Coast is faring any better?
People dont like to vacate homes but they actually do it when there is a real threat for their life, some of biggest migrations of people happen due fear of a enemy. That said seeing the Bethesda design philosophy of having enemies ever few steps I can see the reasoning that nowhere is safe. Which then leads us to next question, if everywhere is as bad as Capital Wasteland why are there still any people left alive? Since I dont see how Little Lamplight or any of those settlement in the game could survive 200 days let alone 200 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom