Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Which only reinforces the idea that having super mutants on your doorstep is not good for a budding civilisation
Well, those supermutants were under orders by smarter beings to invade. They weren't just doing it. Also, the supermutants in Fallout 3 are mentally retarded. I don't mean as a concept, I mean the supermutants themselves are presented as being retarded. Even though supermutants are long lived, tough, radiation resistant, and strong, they're still fucking retarded. The idea that they didn't Darwin themselves out of existence in the two centuries since the bombs dropped is very questionable. These supermutants are running around with missile launchers and frag grenades in the game.

Their only means of perpetuating their species is catching humans and dipping them, a la Fallout. Which makes you wonder how they even figured that out considering The Master didn't even realize that supermutants were sterile. Also, how did they maintain their FEV stock? People never figured out how to deal with the supermutants in 200 years with streets littered with rusty mini nuclear bombs?

The main problem with all this, other than there shouldn't be FEV on the East Coast, is the 200 year thing. markec makes a good point about people leaving if the supermutants were that bad. It's not like they have much there to begin with, even after 200 years judging by the game world.

deuxhero

Arcane
Which only reinforces the idea that having super mutants on your doorstep is not good for a budding civilisation
Well, those supermutants were under orders by smarter beings to invade. They weren't just doing it. Also, the supermutants in Fallout 3 are mentally retarded. I don't mean as a concept, I mean the supermutants themselves are presented as being retarded. Even though supermutants are long lived, tough, radiation resistant, and strong, they're still fucking retarded. The idea that they didn't Darwin themselves out of existence in the two centuries since the bombs dropped is very questionable. These supermutants are running around with missile launchers and frag grenades in the game.

Their only means of perpetuating their species is catching humans and dipping them, a la Fallout. Which makes you wonder how they even figured that out considering The Master didn't even realize that supermutants were sterile. Also, how did they maintain their FEV stock? People never figured out how to deal with the supermutants in 200 years with streets littered with rusty mini nuclear bombs?

The main problem with all this, other than there shouldn't be FEV on the East Coast, is the 200 year thing. markec makes a good point about people leaving if the supermutants were that bad. It's not like they have much there to begin with, even after 200 years judging by the game world.
F4 makes more sense here than F3: The Institute is (was?) making Super Mutants out of kidnapped surface people as test subjects and teleporting them to surface once they don't produce the desired results. Of course besides the poorly explained "why" they don't just euthanize and incinerate them, that causes a massive plot hole elsewhere since you're explicitly told the teleporter is super expensive in power, they don't have power to satisfy demand, but this is one of the many instances you're shown they use it pretty casually.

Gargaune

Arcane
Award-winning AAA videogame developer.

P.S. GOG haven't updated Fallout 4 yet. CD Projekt are oiling their PR pecs with Bethesda's tears right now. :lol:

thesecret1

Arcane
if everywhere is as bad as Capital Wasteland why are there still any people left alive?
That's a better question
Clearly, they came from elsewhere in recent past. Looking at FO4 and FO3, that's the only possible explanation - how is it possoble you see 200 years old skeletons everywhere, undisturbed, still in the positions they took when the bombs fell? How come nobody really built ANYTHING in that time? Why does everything look like everyone arrived just a couple days ago and didn't even have time to unpack, yet alone cleanup?

Simple - everyone DID arrive mere couple months ago as part of a large colonization push by various factions once the massive radiation cloud (that I just made up) that covered the area finally dissipated after two centuries. Or something like that. That's the only way this bullshit starts making at least a little sense

Silverfish

Arbiter
Simple - everyone DID arrive mere couple months ago as part of a large colonization push by various factions once the massive radiation cloud (that I just made up) that covered the area finally dissipated after two centuries. Or something like that. That's the only way this bullshit starts making at least a little sense

Ideally, but there's an old woman (Manya, I think?) in Megaton who explains that the town's history goes back several years.

thesecret1

Arcane

Ideally, but there's an old woman (Manya, I think?) in Megaton who explains that the town's history goes back several years.
I know it's not the real Beth lore, obviously. I was only pointing out how half the inconsistent shit with their world design would disappear if they just claimed that people only got into said area recently and that they haven't, in fact, been living there for 2 centuries. They'd get to have their cake and eat it too, with just some minor changes to some dialogues.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Bitching about Bethesda breaking their Super Duper Update, brought to you by the guy that also brought you:

Enjoy the broken trash, JuiceHead. You earned it. Shill a little more and maybe they'll stop releasing patches after a modder fixes this issue.

Gargaune

Arcane
Bitching about Bethesda breaking their Super Duper Update, brought to you by the guy that also brought you:
Hey, don't look at me, I see "Next-Gen" hate, I click. But isn't it more delicious if even Amazon's cheerleaders turn on Bethesda?

You know, was just thinking, how cool would it be if the Fallout: London team actually bit the bullet and released it only for the non-"Next-Gen" build? "Just use the Downgrader, bro!" I mean I know it won't happen, but it would be the biggest FUCK YOU to Beth's dick move.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
But isn't it more delicious if even Amazon's cheerleaders turn on Bethesda?
JuiceHead is one of those guys that grabs a bowl and a spoon any time Bethesda shits the bed. He's never met a retcon he couldn't inexplicably spin. There's quite a few of the Fallout lore video makers out there that I can no longer stomach just because of the swill they churn.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
It's not all bad. It's an excuse to try out Grounded Commonwealth and America Rising 2. And play all sarcastic like.
The quality and scope of AR2 was very impressive. I slaughtered the railroad, bombed the BOS, nuked the Institute ( including fake-son), and gassed the muties. Based. Not typical trash tier mod fodder at all.
More, if not most of the Commonwealth should be post-Megaton razed after taking out the Institute, underground or not. FFS, Diamond City is *right there*.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
nuked the Institute ( including fake-son)
The fact that Synths never age and no one ever noticed that in the 10+ years that Danse was in the Brotherhood, no one noticed he didn't age still makes me want to kick everyone at Bethesda in the nuts. Or the fact he didn't need to eat or sleep and so on. So. Damned. Retarded.

thesecret1

Arcane
The fact that Synths never age and no one ever noticed that in the 10+ years that Danse was in the Brotherhood, no one noticed he didn't age still makes me want to kick everyone at Bethesda in the nuts. Or the fact he didn't need to eat or sleep and so on. So. Damned. Retarded.
Peter-Hines.jpeg

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
IIRC, there is a terminal in the Institute that mentions the Diamond City Mayor is a synth, and has aged and gained weight, and is a liability that has outlived its usefulness and to be terminated.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
IIRC, there is a terminal in the Institute that mentions the Diamond City Mayor is a synth, and has aged and gained weight, and is a liability that has outlived its usefulness and to be terminated.
Nope, it says that the body is based on the real McDonough, so it's fat and useless for anything other than what it's doing. Also, it acts old because of the programming and a memory wipe would fix that, but there's nothing you can do about the body.

Which is also retarded on so many levels, particularly when they also say in the game that there's no way of telling a Synth from a real human.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Enjoy the broken trash, JuiceHead. You earned it. Shill a little more and maybe they'll stop releasing patches after a modder fixes this issue.

I mean he's right, the TV show didn't ruin Fallout lore.

Fallout 3 did that already. Not much left to ruin.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I mean he's right, the TV show didn't ruin Fallout lore.

Fallout 3 did that already. Not much left to ruin.
However, New Vegas set the precedent that it wasn't too late for Fallout.

But those talentless cunts at Bethesda had other plans for what they wanted to do with it. And it had nothing to do with following the example Obsidian made of them.

Now look what they've done to it. Barely recognizable anymore. Fallout now has more in common with a Mcdonalds Happy Meal than with anything that was once good about the lore.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

We're not even talking realism here. We're talking about being consistent within your own story and NOT being retarded about things. If you want to tell me that it's impossible to tell Synths from humans, then you can't also tell me that they don't age, they don't need to eat, they don't need to drink, they can't exercise and get in shape, and they don't need to sleep because every single one of those things makes it pretty damned easy to be able to tell a Synth from an actual human.

It's not shocking that they cited Battlestar Galactica as the inspiration for the Synths, because that show has the same exact problem. The first scene, you see some Cylon chick fucking that corrupt scientist dude and her spine is glowing. Well, humans don't have anything in their spine that can ever emit light, so start with that. And given how often people in the show were banging Cylons, you'd think at least one time, one of those couples would have done it with the lights out.

If you want to tell me you can't tell them from actual people, then don't show or tell me how they're different from people. It's pretty simple.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Anyone who expected Bethesda to learn anything from New Vegas is overly optimistic.

Bethesda completely murdered their own setting, The Elder Scrolls, with Oblivion. It's the worst downgrade in gaming history.
If you think they'd respect Fallout when they have such disregard for their own creation, you're dead wrong. There was never even the slightest chance that Bethesda would let New Vegas inspire them to change their approach to game and world design, when everything they made after Morrowind was pure decline in every single aspect.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Anyone who expected Bethesda to learn anything from New Vegas is overly optimistic.

Bethesda completely murdered their own setting, The Elder Scrolls, with Oblivion. It's the worst downgrade in gaming history.
If you think they'd respect Fallout when they have such disregard for their own creation, you're dead wrong. There was never even the slightest chance that Bethesda would let New Vegas inspire them to change their approach to game and world design, when everything they made after Morrowind was pure decline in every single aspect.
I wasn't really expecting anything great I was just hoping for the best. Yes, I was naive.

It was sometime around 2014, I think. It was the time in-between New Vegas and Fallout 4 where there was this uncertain anticipation that people in my circle had for what was next for Fallout in light of what we had in New Vegas. But Bethesda have shown their full hand now, especially with Fallout 76. I've seen the promo's for their updates. It's so bad I couldn't do a worse job with Fallout if I tried.

Bethesda are irredeemable and inexplicably shit. No question about it. And Todd Howard is a complete fraud and a hack. I'll never buy anything he puts his name on again, including that new Indiana Jones game he's credited as executive producer on. BOYCOTTED for life.

Whenever anyone asks me why I hate everything to do with Todd & Bethesda I tell them why. Because no matter how much Bethesda makes from milking their shit products, they do not deserve an ounce of goodwill from anybody. They should be looked at with scorn the same way EA and Blizzard are. Let them have their cake but don't allow them to eat it too.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm pretty sure they intentionally went in the opposite direction because they were butthurt over the fact that New Vegas completely overshadowed Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. When Fallout 76 was met with all the backlash, things like "at least we still have New Vegas" popped up a lot until The Outer Worlds was announced. Even then, The Outer World had "From the studio that brought you New Vegas" in nearly every piece of media. I have a feeling things like that prompted them to get involved with that TV series which absolutely wrecks that area.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm pretty sure they intentionally went in the opposite direction because they were butthurt over the fact that New Vegas completely overshadowed Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. When Fallout 76 was met with all the backlash, things like "at least we still have New Vegas" popped up a lot until The Outer Worlds was announced. Even then, The Outer World had "From the studio that brought you New Vegas" in nearly every piece of media. I have a feeling things like that prompted them to get involved with that TV series which absolutely wrecks that area.
It's very likely they intentionally fucked up New Vegas lore, just like how they intentionally destroyed Morrowind in the new Elder Scrolls lore because they hate how the old fanbase still clings to that game and region. So they had the entire continent destroyed in the current lore.

Bethesda are extremely spiteful against fans who prefer older titles to the slop they put out nowadays.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Motherfucker deserves to be punched in the dick.
I'd love to see the original tweet which Pete is making a reply. I'd be willing to bet, like I said, that is has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with how they can't maintain a consistent setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom