Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Aren't Far Cry games supposed to have cutting edge grafix?
They look really mediocre.

Probably been said already, but this isn't 2012 anymore.

I loved Far Cry 3, but ~10 years of producing the same exact game is gonna bore the shit out of anyone. It doesn't help that 5 and New Dawn had terrible pacing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
FC3 was allright and I fucking loved Primal on Survival difficulty. That was such a blast with balls.

Unfortunately balls is in short supply these days, zoomers aren't born with those anymore.

Primal at least did something new, and kudos to them for basically inventing language for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FC3 was allright and I fucking loved Primal on Survival difficulty. That was such a blast with balls.

Unfortunately balls is in short supply these days, zoomers aren't born with those anymore.

Primal at least did something new, and kudos to them for basically inventing language for it.

I played it on release, on the Normal mode and even though it was novel I was bored.

They patched in the Survival mode a few months later and goddamn, that was such a fantastic fit. Cavemen, prehistory and survival, perfect.

There's even a cheevo and a special dev video if you finish the game on Survival/Permadeath. Fucking neigh impossible tho.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I played it on release, on the Normal mode and even though it was novel I was bored.

They patched in the Survival mode a few months later and goddamn, that was such a fantastic fit. Cavemen, prehistory and survival, perfect.

There's even a cheevo and a special dev video if you finish the game on Survival/Permadeath. Fucking neigh impossible tho.

It was probably the first time I remember getting actively frustrated by the overabundance of encounters in Far Cry games. Constantly running into wolves, NPCs that need help, enemies, etc. Game is basically unplayable without an animal companion that scares suicidal wolf packs away. think I ended the game with at least 500+ wolf kills. But there's nothing like beating the tar out of something with a club or spearing someone(it also introduced non-knife melee weapons to the franchise.... which quickly got stale as shit).

Still better than Far Cry 5.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Game is basically unplayable without an animal companion that scares suicidal wolf packs away.
You need to have a weapon on fire all the time basically, and abuse bait. Lifesavers. I only finished the game on normal survivor permadeath but planning to do it on expert some time.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.pcgamesn.com/far-cry-6/hd-textures-nvidia-rtx-3080
Far Cry 6 needs more VRAM than the Nvidia RTX 3080 has to load HD textures

And I guess draw distance is still the same garbage as ever?
Of course, why change a winning formula?

vgI9J50.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I kinda liked about 50% of Far Cry 5, basically the first area (John?), when you were still fighting thinly veiled Mormons trying to convert people at gunpoint. A few nice locations and likeable NPCs.
The Faith area went already downhill, especially since they couldn't make up their mind if it's drugs or magic at work.
By the time I had reached the brainwasher Jakob area I had to force myself through it. Everyone there was so massively stupid, as if the writers went home and let the janitor continue writing.
But then came "New Derp" and Ubisoft demonstrated that this is their normal writing now, they don't bother because their customers don't listen to dialogs anyway...

With that in mind and "looks like like 5 but needs more toaster power", I am not really giddy with anticipation for this game.
Gonna pass. :obviously:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
By the time I had reached the brainwasher Jakob area I had to force myself through it. Everyone there was so massively stupid, as if the writers went home and let the janitor continue writing.

Yes but this is the problem of all Ubi games, including AC. They're not Witchers, they don't aim to be and I doubt they could be even if they did.

They're like your typical Hollywood summer blockbuster - writing and "story" is there as a pretext for the akshun and sightseeing. And it always becomes clear, sooner or later, that's why the early game always looks engaging but everything falls apart a few hours in.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The world building, the map is the only aspect in which they put actual effort to get right (as in copied from real life places). Otherwise, you play one Ubisoft game, you played all of them.

EruDaan

Arcane
How about a shooter with an actual PLOT TWIST? *mind blown* What about the protagonist getting washed up a shore, maybe because his yacht had an accute case of exploding or getting sunk by a thunderstorm. At this shore some guys are shooting at each other, then - explosions and the protagonist loses consciousness. He's waking up in a bed, with some hot latina purring something about how he was safed from the evil fascist regime by rebels with a vaguely described set of values. This hot latina recruits the protagonist who then starts helping the rebels to free the country from the evil fascist white man. Barracks get blown up, goverment buildings get blown up, infrastructure gets sabotaged, family members of evil corrupt goverment officials get kidnapped.

Only that the "rebels" are an CIA financed terror group with the declared aim to overthrow an legitimate populist goverment voted in power by the people with the president working desperately against corruption and the globo-homo powers with the protagonist being an clueless asshole that got manipulated by some CIA chic with fake double D tits. After that revelation the player has a choice - either becoming an full blown ISIS-like terrorist, bombing and murdering for fun or fighting on the side of rightousness and virtue against the globo-homo financed terrorists.

But that'd be too complex for modern audiences and I'd wager a lot of money that the danger-hair land-whale globo-homo soy infused development teams couldn't wrap their head about such an concept even if their lives depended on that.

Last edited:
I may try it when it gets cracked. But I'm looking forward to the inevitable spin-off. Wonder what the gimmick will be this time.

80's action hero was cool. Caveman not so much. Postapo game could have been fun if not for the obnoxious villains. Personally, I'm hoping for a Sam Hyde simulator.

ADL

Prophet
I may try it when it gets cracked. But I'm looking forward to the inevitable spin-off. Wonder what the gimmick will be this time.

80's action hero was cool. Caveman not so much. Postapo game could have been fun if not for the obnoxious villains. Personally, I'm hoping for a Sam Hyde simulator.
Consider giving Far Cry Primal Survivor Mode a shot if you haven't. I thought it was pretty cool.

My problem with Primal is that melee combat is absolute garbage, something that would fit Call of Duty 2021, not a caveman simulator. All I remember doing was head shooting sentinels with bow and arrow. Fucking ubisoft.

ADL

Prophet
My problem with Primal is that melee combat is absolute garbage, something that would fit Call of Duty 2021, not a caveman simulator. All I remember doing was head shooting sentinels with bow and arrow. Fucking ubisoft.
Agreed, the melee combat system was so shitty it made me really want to avoid it altogether so I went full stealth. Primal with a Mordhau-inspired or even a For Honor first person combat system would be incredibly good. For a game about cavemen it really did warrant better melee combat.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Well, you shouldn't fight then. Stealth is your primary approach. If things don't go well then you have your tamed beasts, berserker shards and bombs, throwing spears, running and jumping from higher terrain to trigger death from above takedowns, normal bombs, normal shards.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Only that the "rebels" are an CIA financed terror group with the declared aim to overthrow an legitimate populist goverment voted in power by the people with the president working desperately against corruption and the globo-homo powers with the protagonist being an clueless asshole that got manipulated by some CIA chic with fake double D tits.
Modern game studios just want to make as much money as possible with as little risk as possible. Leaving the "Murica is the good guys doing good things" path is far too risky.
Just look at how successful "Spec Ops: The Line" was.
I remember reading that "Bioshock: Infinite" was originally much heavy on the lying scheming warhero Senator theme, but implying that the historical US government might not be all selfless saints was deemed to risky, so they switched to the abstract cult theme to be safer.
Makes it even more surprising that FC5 went so heavy into historical Mormon references. But I guess they knew their audience wouldn't dig deeper as long as they can aquire new weapon skins through events. :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom