Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Far Cry 2's southern African setting doesn't have the same zing as a nice tropical island or Montana.

Disagree.
Honestly this is one thing that always boggles my mind, the lack of games in a Africa type setting.
Specially for these sort of "military" games set in the modern day, this is literally the perfect setting and FC2 has the perfect premise.
"You are a mercenary in a war-torn African country." Done
This shit sells itself.
The player has all the context he needs and the potential for "mission" design is nearly limitless.
Yet out of the thousands of games of this ilk, you can count with your hands the number of games set in Africa:
- Resident Evil 5
- Far Cry 2
- Metal Gear Solid 5
- some levels in Uncharted 4

Yeah, and Africa is really beautiful landscape-wise. People wouldn't be going on Safaris if the landscape wasn't beautiful. And you got tons of wildlife there!
Also a lot of dry vegetation and buildings made of wood and other flammable materials which are perfect for fire-spreading mechanics

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Not just safaris
Rain forrests, deserts, swamps, valleys, high lands, mountain ranges, huge lakes, gargantuan caves, european forts, ancient african cities, coastal towns, spraling urban centers and the list goes on...
This, coupled with the mercenary premise, the continent's history and huge amounts of information available on it's current and past decade's conflicts and shit, there's nothing you can't do on this setting
Yet there's only around 5 games that the bright idea to use this setting, other shooters of this "type" for some reason are always set in either the middle-east, a tropical island, some commie shit-hole or a post-apocalyptic world

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Far Cry 2's southern African setting doesn't have the same zing as a nice tropical island or Montana.

Disagree.
Honestly this is one thing that always boggles my mind, the lack of games in a Africa type setting.
Specially for these sort of "military" games set in the modern day, this is literally the perfect setting and FC2 has the perfect premise.
This shit sells itself.
The player has all the context he needs and the potential for "mission" design is nearly limitless.
Yet out of the thousands of games of this ilk, you can count with your hands the number of games set in Africa:
- Resident Evil 5 (2009)
- Far Cry 2 (2008)
- Metal Gear Solid 5 (2017)
- some levels in Uncharted 4 (2016)
look at all the backlash resident evil got from the usual suspects for making the bad guys black

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Disagree.
Specifically for Far Cry, I think something set in a grimy African setting is a bad idea. FC sells itself on its environments and what FC2 was, just wasn't very interesting to be in. Other games can try for grimy African setting, and its fine. If they can stand the accusations of racism that is. Other kinds of African settings, maybe they can work with that.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Disagree.
This shit sells itself.
- Resident Evil 5 (2009)
- Far Cry 2 (2008)

Also: The Lion King

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Duke3d budget was $300,000 lol. And it's still the best FPS. Unreal Tournament was amazing too and that was 1.5m? It's amazing. And EverQuest for 3 million. All these lessons falling on deaf ears as usual. There was a good BBC story called "death of middle class gaming" which was all about this fracturing of gaming. It went from any small team being able to make a hit for a million or two, to where we are now... Now it's huge corporations mass producing mainstream megabudget games, and then indie games struggling to make minimum wage. The middle is mostly a wasteland. We're living in the world EA designed for us in 2001 or whatever.

Disagree.
This shit sells itself.
- Resident Evil 5 (2009)
- Far Cry 2 (2008)

Also: The Lion King

WTF The Lion King was made by Westwood?!!

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
2. Every game Ubisoft makes you either spark or lead a revolution, fight against the system, liberate something, you're a freedom fighter etc. They really can't come up with anything else?

What irks me the most about this is that there is just absolutely zero nuance to their handling of an actually pretty serious topic. I mean we are talking about civil war here. The people you shoot in droves are mostly simply policemen, guards, government workers, residents. People who just want to get by under an oppressive system and most likely are forced or at least pressured into what they're doing. And all their games are so one dimensionally self righteous. Filled to the brink with cartoonish, quirky RAGE against the evil oppressive system and dehumanization of everyone standing in your way to utopia/freedom/whatever. And since your cause is so just, everything goes. You murder and murder and murder in the most brutal ways, then you return to your homebase and do funny one-liners with your quirky freedom fighter homeboys. You can now shoot people with eeeh macarena cds! LOL funny! I wonder if they are simply tone deaf or if they are actively pandering to militant "revolutionaries" because it is the hip thing right now apparently.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also lets you kill hundreds of innocents, but at least it recognizes the depravity of Dutch Van der Linde and his merry gang. Arthur struggling with his anti-heroic nature is also core theme of the narrative. While there is still cognitive dissonance between gameplay and storytelling, at least the game is somewhat self conscious about it.

Agreed. Like I said before, They handle it from a kidde-glove sort of view. Now I'll play it, cause I like these types of games, but the 'system' is white washed, not given any gravitas at all - they're not communist, or fascist, or whatever, they're just gangs in charge of a country (and I mean we can discuss THAT by itself all day but even the warlord, drug, or cartel states that get into power suddenly do get grounded handing out favors and services), Rebels are given a shit smear at the very end, and no, they're not pandering to anyone socially, this has been a thing since 3, with roots in 2. 2 did it so much better, and 2 barely handled it at all. They need to expand on 2. Actual political sides with political goals and ramifications, and the seriousness of mass butchery across a country.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disagree.
Specifically for Far Cry, I think something set in a grimy African setting is a bad idea. FC sells itself on its environments and what FC2 was, just wasn't very interesting to be in. Other games can try for grimy African setting, and its fine. If they can stand the accusations of racism that is. Other kinds of African settings, maybe they can work with that.

Whatever you say man, I found the environments of Far Cry 2 to be very beautiful and would love to play another game like it set in African savannah landscapes.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disagree.

Just for the novelty of the environment, an African setting would be an improvement. And some of the environments in FC2, especially in the savannah were really good

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How to make Far Cry better without spending that much money:

- You're a mercenary now
- No linear story sections
- You can take on contracts to make money
- You can build a mercenary company, or go solo
- Can take a mercenary squad of up to x (probably at least 4), with a reserve pool
- Mercenaries can be injured and need recovery time a la nuXCOM
- Steal gameplay elements from Battle Brothers but apply it to a modern setting

Profit.

You mean Metal Gear Solid 5?
Because Far Cry is always been about you alone in some exotic micro-nation versus a small army of mooks

True, but that doesn't mean they can't change the formula (in fact, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy if it did). Far Cry 5 already introduced AI teammates and the AI wasn't horrible for the most part.

I would say give players the option. They can either go solo or rock out with a bunch of custom squaddies. Like a first-person Breakpoint.... but good.

Agree with the African setting. It's perfect for a mercenary concept like this.

deuxhero

Arcane
I think historic setting would be better for this kind of game. African shithole doesn't really enable interesting weapon design.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think historic setting would be better for this kind of game. African shithole doesn't really enable interesting weapon design.
Considering how many people have run guns, sold them to governments and PMC groups waltzing in, I think weapon design is the least of an African settings problems. In such a setting you really have a dozen different groups eager to play with the latest toys or the ones they've had since the '50s. You could do a lot of interesting things there.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

There's a Pieper Revolving Carbine in the game?

Absolute :incline: for including something that Ian should cover for Forgotten Weapons.

That being said, I really hope they change their weapon system from the old-fashioned "some weapons do more damage lol."

Yeah, some weapons IRL do have more stopping power, but the factors that go into making one firearm "superior" to another go way beyond DPS.

ADL

Prophet
How to make Far Cry better without spending that much money:

- You're a mercenary now
- No linear story sections
- You can take on contracts to make money
- You can build a mercenary company, or go solo
- Can take a mercenary squad of up to x (probably at least 4), with a reserve pool
- Mercenaries can be injured and need recovery time a la nuXCOM
- Steal gameplay elements from Battle Brothers but apply it to a modern setting

Profit.
This is almost exactly what I wanted out of Ghost Recon Wildland's sequel. Then we got Breakpoint instead...

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

9dc.png

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Ubicuks didn't have the balls to made it a communist dictator. Fuck them. I want a game where I can throw communists from helicopters into the ocean.
We know he is one even if they're afraid of saying so

https://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-6-isnt-a-political-statement-on-cuba-narrative-director-says/

No it's about fascism and LGBT+ rights. Did you really think they wanted to criticise communism?

The Politics of Far Cry 6

Our story is political.

A story about a modern revolution must be. There are hard, relevant discussions in Far Cry 6 about the conditions that lead to the rise of fascism in a nation, the costs of imperialism, forced labor, the need for free-and-fair elections, LGBTQ+ rights, and more within the context of Yara, a fictional island in the Caribbean. My goal was to empower our team to be fearless in the story we were telling, and we worked incredibly hard to do this over the last five years. We also tried to be very careful about how we approached our inspirations, which include Cuba, but also other countries around the world that have experienced political revolutions in their histories.

The guy is (I think) Iranian, so maybe their revolutions also influences the narrative. Maybe they will indeed shy away from the "revolutions are great" simplifications and try to give a more nuanced view on revolutions (again I think they did it in 4 too).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom