Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rafidur

Learned
Tons of people already gamble their money on preorders, but gambling your money on a PS5 for a game that's not out yet is next-level.

I just ordered the PS5 God of War Raganarök Bundle for 619 Euros.

It feels great to not be a poor fag and also have functioning motor skills.

That said, I am going to have just as much of a blast mashing buttons in Final Fantasy XVI like I did in Final Fantasy VII Remake.

:drink:

So sorry, grandma.

turn-based-granny.png

Stokowski

Arcane
JRPGs are the old cRPGs. /sucking_at_memes

:martini:

YoshiP is a strange one, but he is a fantastic pimp that arguably got SquareEnix out of a financial shit-hole with the rescue of 15. He can - and will - sell you anything ... good, bad, diseased, retarded, flashy, nostalgic, ripped-off ... to keep the board in coke and hookers. The perfect helmsman for the ongoing decline of a series has hasn't made a decent game since 9.

FF15 did not rescue Square Enix from dire financial straits. Sure, it sold a few million, but that was a one time purchase. What kept SE alive during the 2000s was FF11, because while it had a smaller userbase, those users were paying $15 per month to play the game ($180 per year, every year, before considering $30 expansions every other year). What kept SE afloat for most of the 2010s was their new MMO, FF14. Nowadays gacha games keep SE afloat.

Duraframe300

Arcane
FF hasn't been turn based since 3, though.
I think I've talked about this somewhere else, but ATB is real time but presented in a way that the user thinks it's TB.
10 wasn't atb. It was turn based. 10-2 was atb again. There was no ATB bar in X.
It provided several options to fuck with the turns, but so do other turn based systems.

Had some of the best fights in the series too.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
Guys, there's nothing wrong with Square Enix moving away from turn based. FFVII-R combat was awesome and everyone would love to have more of something similar to it. Problem is that they are trying to move away from "command based" combat which is absurd. The manner that Yoshi-P and the entire CU3 shit on FFVII-R and basically treat it like a complete failure kind of blows my mind. If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Guys, there's nothing wrong with Square Enix moving away from turn based. FFVII-R combat was awesome and everyone would love to have more of something similar to it. Problem is that they are trying to move away from "command based" combat which is absurd. The manner that Yoshi-P and the entire CU3 shit on FFVII-R and basically treat it like a complete failure kind of blows my mind. If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.
:killit:

The manner that Yoshi-P and the entire CU3 shit on FFVII-R and basically treat it like a complete failure kind of blows my mind. If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.
When and where did Creative Business Unit 3 and Yoshi-P shit on FFVIIR? Gameplaywise both are quite similar, other than the obvious fact that you control a party in FFVIIR.

Also, FFVIIR did very well financially. Squeenix sold 5 million copies in three months and probably a million or two more after that - nobody knows for sure. Not to mention that Sony paid big bucks (tens of millions of dollars) for one year of PlayStation exclusivity and for a permanent Xbox embargo.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FF7R's battle system was not my cup of tea. Either lean more towards command based, or go full action.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's pretty but not much else. Which is what I expect FFXVI to be, as well as any other Square product, until proven otherwise.

If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.

No idea how that game did, but if you assume Squenix management is retarded and makes bad decisions, you'll be right more often than not.
Financially I don't know. Critically, among fans, it's a torn opinion. A lot of people think it sucks. People talk more about Tifa's italian incident than the game itself I'd say. Doesn't help that they went full price with this.
In fact, the only games I see people talking about non stop are 8 and 10.

Elttharion

Learned
If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.

No idea how that game did, but if you assume Squenix management is retarded and makes bad decisions, you'll be right more often than not.
Financially I don't know. Critically, among fans, it's a torn opinion. A lot of people think it sucks. People talk more about Tifa's italian incident than the game itself I'd say. Doesn't help that they went full price with this.
In fact, the only games I see people talking about non stop are 8 and 10.
The game sold reasonably well and they also got money from Sony and Epic. In my experience a lot of people are wary of what they will do with the story on part 2, with most people expecting it to be a shitshow. I dont mind Aerith surviving since she is cute but thats just me personally. I cant deny that the last hour or so of the game was silly, they could just had said its a reboot instead of a remake, there was no need for all of that nonsense with the shades or whatever they are called.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom