Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I wouldn't be surprised if the Xenonaut guys used the new game as a pretext to throw in the towel, when they lose interest. On the other hand their screenshots look too advanced for that. But it has happened before http://ufotts.ninex.info/

I guess it's wait and see. If this game (Xenonauts) gets finished I will definitely buy it.

But right now I have the feeling they have no idea when they plan to finish it. I don't think the game will be released in 2012. Somehow I get this vibe that even in 2014 it will still be 'coming in about six months'.
If you want to finish at a certain point you don't make vague promises but a definite schedule. You may fall behind a few months, But if you fall behind years there is something wrong.

The dev quit his day job to focus on the game 100%. So I doubt he will be throwing in the towel any time soon.

Though funding is a question mark. There is apparently a Kickstarter fund coming in to get some dough for additional polishing, so we'll see.

You do realize that even projects with hundreds of millions of budget have trouble making "definite schedules". In Xenonauts case the release date estimations are more than a little difficult to give, since almost everything is outsourced and is dependant on freelancers.

If you compare this project to say... Dwarf Fortress, I don't really mind the fact that the release is getting pushed back and additional polish is being put in the game. There is a constant sense of progress, fresh alphas coming out frequently and the dev has rather realistic view on what should be added and what not.

It is once in a decade kind of a game anyway, so they might as well make it as good as it can be.

zeitgeist

Magister
Are female squad members and sprites that show the squad members' skin color, haircut and gender in yet?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Are female squad members and sprites that show the squad members' skin color, haircut and gender in yet?

Nope, and won't be unless they get a whole lot of moneyz. I was proposing that they'd let Kickstart funders/premium purchasers choose which features they'd want to get in. More sprites was like 1-2k€, though that was some months ago so the sprite count has probably even gone up.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a post recently on Xenonauts site that they have all the models done for all soldier type/weapon combo done, now they need to make a render farm to render the required frames.

I haven't seen a female soldier in all my games though. I don't care much about such stuff, it's not like females will get +20 to beauty or -4 to str ;)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, if DwarvenFood wants romances between female and male squad members, he could always contribute to Ufo:AI. This game is also getting better and better. Still ugly as hell though.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The dev quit his day job to focus on the game 100%. So I doubt he will be throwing in the towel any time soon.

Though funding is a question mark. There is apparently a Kickstarter fund coming in to get some dough for additional polishing, so we'll see.

You do realize that even projects with hundreds of millions of budget have trouble making "definite schedules". In Xenonauts case the release date estimations are more than a little difficult to give, since almost everything is outsourced and is dependant on freelancers.

If you compare this project to say... Dwarf Fortress, I don't really mind the fact that the release is getting pushed back and additional polish is being put in the game. There is a constant sense of progress, fresh alphas coming out frequently and the dev has rather realistic view on what should be added and what not.

It is once in a decade kind of a game anyway, so they might as well make it as good as it can be.

Incidentally, I just found this news post made Jan. 17: http://www.xenonauts.com/category/news/
I think it means they have come to the same conclusions (i.e. they need a firm schedule and concentrate on programming a GENUINE remake). So the game will probably come out Dec. 2012 and -provided it will not suck- all will be good!!

Good news indeed. The new farm tileset looks nice. They should make potato fields though, so that missions in Poland and Russia look realistic :troll:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The evolution of XCOM's enemies

5531.thinevo.jpg

versus

:patriot:

Who would win in a brawl fight?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You say sectoids are small humanoids, we say they must be seven feet tall.
You say the new muton is a little too 'orcy', we say it's not 'orcy' enough.
You say cyberdisc, we say fuck it, it's actually an arachnid.
You say zombies, we say THE THIN MAN.

I love remakes.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Original x-com was very popamole because you could crouch behind cover = xcom is the father of decline, amirite ? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom