Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

Duraframe300

Arcane
Doesn't seem like SE has too much faith in the project.
Guess they realized that hiring westerners to write your game and do the score does not equal a more popular game.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first and last such *experiment*.

(Well, technically its not the first but they at least decided to focus development in one country instead of the shit of splitting up everything overseas)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks terrible. The boss just stood there as if it doesn't recognize where the player is due to the range of detection and movement. It's like they designed slower paced dark souls boss in a game marketed heavily with free form, high speed parkour. Bad design. Bad art direction. Those environment looks dull af. Typical SE development management, especially on the western side.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It looks terrible. The boss just stood there as if it doesn't recognize where the player is due to the range of detection and movement. It's like they designed slower paced dark souls boss in a game marketed heavily with free form, high speed parkour. Bad design. Bad art direction. Those environment looks dull af. Typical SE development management, especially on the western side.
I have no idea why they let Luminous of all teams be its own external company. That just baffles me.

Especially as I've recently been replaying XV and.... its not that this game is just bad. There's bits and pieces I actually like, there's that sidequest that's fairly decent, there's that one mechanic that's interesting, there's those story beats that hit, Ardy, and so on. But everything is just so covered in bad execution that it takes a total of 30 seconds to imagine how this could be done better. Constantly. And I'm not talking about the game's troubled development, but about things that must have happened when the game was already at Luminous.

It screams of a team that needs more oversight, not less. Yet its the same team Square splits off into its own company and decides to pump money into for a project which requires extensive cross-continental communication to develop.

Well, Square let that be a lesson to you. You prepare everything possible to make a game shit, you get shit in return.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no idea why they let Luminous of all teams be its own external company.

Probably because XV is fairly successful. Mind that a lot of SE games has missed internal corporate expectations in the past years outside of the FF franchise.

Yet its the same team Square splits off into its own company and decides to pump money into for a project which requires extensive cross-continental communication to develop.

Having the writer being westerner is intentional. You can see with FF XVI being produced with English writing and VA most and foremost as well. SE is a "global" company now instead of Japanese one.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Yet its the same team Square splits off into its own company and decides to pump money into for a project 0which requires extensive cross-continental communication to develop.

Having the writer being westerner is intentional. You can see with FF XVI being produced with English writing and VA most and foremost as well. SE is a "global" company now instead of Japanese one.
XVI isn't produced with english writing. It's written by japanese in japanese and got localized from there.
(only difference being that it got english motion capture which i assume is what you mean here and the guy leading that has been at Square in japan for 20 years.). It's a japanese production. Not in any way the same as Forspoken.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
can't wait for square enix's latest AAA flop. honestly if not for final fantasy and final fantasy XIV this company would've bought the far away farm

Unwanted

†††

Patron
can't wait for square enix's latest AAA flop. honestly if not for final fantasy and final fantasy XIV this company would've bought the far away farm
You mean Dragon Quest? even the latest FF titles have failed to meet sales expectations given their humongous budget, which is why XVI looks more modest this time.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
You mean Dragon Quest? even the latest FF titles have failed to meet sales expectations given their humongous budget, which is why XVI looks more modest this time.
yeah dragon quest too, japanese audience alone will keep them afloat but that's the reason they haven't fucked around with DQ to piss off the japanese famicom grognards. we will see how will they change the formula with DQ12

scytheavatar

Scholar
This reddit comment sums up the game the best: 15 year old twitter edge lord girl gets teleported to a particle effects simulator.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
LmpwZw

"How would you feel if you hadn't been transported to the land of Athia?"
"What do you mean? I WAS transported to the land of Athia."
"Right, but if you hadn't, how would you feel?"
"I WAS TRANSPORTED TO ATHIA. Why do you keep saying I wasn't?!"

Forspoken follows the journey of Frey, a young New Yorker transported to the beautiful and cruel land of Athia. In search of a way home, Frey must use her newfound magical abilities to traverse sprawling landscapes and battle monstrous creatures.
The game promotes anti-Athian hate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom