Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 1 - Mutagen Released

NerevarineKing

Learned
The UI looks better at least, but the environments don't look very different. Did they dumb down any of the mechanics for this version?

V_K

Arcane
I mean, that kinda actually makes it a pretty bad place to start with Vogel games because anything else after that would feel like a downgrade.
His magnum opus is the Exile 3. Everything after it is more or less a downgrade.
Let's agree to disagree. I love E3, it's a great classic RPG - but Geneforge is just so much more ambitious and creative.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's ambitious in different places. In Exile 3, iirc, whole towns could gradually deteriorate if your heroes didn't take care of them :) and the world is just massive, begging for exploration, with few hints (iirc).

V_K

Arcane
It's ambitious in different places. In Exile 3, iirc, whole towns could gradually deteriorate if your heroes didn't take care of them :) and the world is just massive, begging for exploration, with few hints (iirc).
Oh, I'm absolutely not saying Exile 3 lacks ambition. But it was in a way a safer bet for Vogel because e.g. Magic Candle 3 had already done something similar. It would also have been easier to trim down in case scope got out of hand. On the other hand, Geneforge has all the plot branching and alternative solutions and an open world - I really can't think of another game that gives this much freedom to the player. Trimming that down in the process would have been utterly impossible because of all the interdependencies; it was sink or swim kind of gamble. So it was definitely a bigger risk than Exile 3. I can't help but respect that.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I enjoyed the Geneforge series, though I am a bit disappointed to see that there is, currently, no native Linux port available for the game given that his latest releases included such.

Huh? Wasn't only Avadon 1 released for Linux natively? And that was only to get in on a Humble Bundle back when they required a Linux version.

I believe most of this games work in Proton, with Nethergate: Resurrection the only one I know of off-hand that has problems.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
After I have done the Awakened quests I will become more powerful and then genocide them!

Nijar

Novice
So Jeff still releases stuff for PC plebs after making millions with mobile love? Good guy Jeff.

Oh, I'm absolutely not saying Exile 3 lacks ambition. But it was in a way a safer bet for Vogel because e.g. Magic Candle 3 had already done something similar. It would also have been easier to trim down in case scope got out of hand. On the other hand, Geneforge has all the plot branching and alternative solutions and an open world - I really can't think of another game that gives this much freedom to the player. Trimming that down in the process would have been utterly impossible because of all the interdependencies; it was sink or swim kind of gamble. So it was definitely a bigger risk than Exile 3. I can't help but respect that.
Out of curiosity for both of you, does the recent Avernum 3 remake stack up as favorably to Exile 3 as this Geneforge 1 remake stacks up to the original?

urmom

Learned
Exile had more spells and 6 character parties I think. If you're into that kind of thing.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm not proficient with Magic shaping so I have no idea how it performs, but I did take a look at its skill + passive list and it seems to be fairly cool and so I think for my next run I'll go the magic route again just to try this cock.
What

V_K

Arcane
Out of curiosity for both of you, does the recent Avernum 3 remake stack up as favorably to Exile 3 as this Geneforge 1 remake stacks up to the original?
No, it's the other way around. Exile might be a pain to run on current PCs and lack some QoL features, but it's a more mechanically complex game. The first remake (i.e. the original Avernum 3) already streamlined/simplified some things (much fewer spells, smaller party, dialog trees instead of keyword hunting) and the re-remake does even more of that (skill trees, ugh). It's still a reasonably enjoyable game, but it's not on par with the original.

No, it's the other way around. Exile might be a pain to run on current PCs and lack some QoL features, but it's a more mechanically complex game. The first remake (i.e. the original Avernum 3) already streamlined/simplified some things (much fewer spells, smaller party, dialog trees instead of keyword hunting) and the re-remake does even more of that (skill trees, ugh). It's still a reasonably enjoyable game, but it's not on par with the original.
Thanks for the tip, though that's a bit of a bummer to hear. Glad the Geneforge remake sounds like it's by and large a straight improvement then.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Enjoyed a lot
What are the major differences between this and the original?

Main Stuff:

New content spread evenly about, including a new settlement.
Changes to creation system. You give them abilities rather than directly changing their stats.
Stealth skill replaces luck.
Some new creations.

Great design choice. I've bought Mutagen for this change only.

Dr Schultz

Augur

I'd also add another entry to the list of merits to this series: the creation system allows for a decent turn-based combat in the context of a "solo" RPG a la Fallout, which is a quite rare occurrence since, well, since Fallout...
Making the player in control of a single intelligent human being which leads a party of "pokemon" was incredibly smart.
You basically get a single character experience outside of combat and a party-based experience during combat. Or maybe not: Allowing the player to choose the size of his party with a "lore-firendly" explanation was even smarter.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'd also add another entry to the list of merits to this series: the creation system allows for a decent turn-based combat in the context of a "solo" RPG a la Fallout, which is a quite rare occurrence since, well, since Fallout...
Making the player in control of a single intelligent human being which leads a party of "pokemon" was incredibly smart.
You basically get a single character experience outside of combat and a party-based experience during combat. Or maybe not: Allowing the player to choose the size of his party with a "lore-firendly" explanation was even smarter.

You can also play entirely without creations if that's your jazz. A pure fighter or mage is perfectly viable.

Dr Schultz

Augur

You can also play entirely without creations if that's your jazz. A pure fighter or mage is perfectly viable.

Yeah, exactly. That's what I meant with "maybe not". The game is perfectly soloable and is designed from the get go with this in mind (unlike Baldur's Gate and Co. where a solo game is surely doable but kind of reserved to veteran players with a bag full of meta-knowlwge). The "essence" mechanic is a great balancing tool in this sense and is way more interesting than the usual "your character gets more experience if you play solo, less experience if you play with a party".

Having said that, I'm firmly convinced that the only players who prefere solo turn-based battles to party turn-based battles are the ones who are not really into tactical games.
Kudos to Vogel for having taken care of them as well as turn-based fags like myself.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played the first remake (the original Avernum 3) to completion and loved it. Didn't mind the lower number of spells, liked the dialogues. The stat system was perfectly fine. I'd avoid stat trees if you can!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom