Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Are they working with Paradox?

Hope they are ready to get their leads fired

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1548650/view/4853167442603397504

LudoNarraCon Panel: Good Stories Must Die

About the Panel
In this casual panel we explore games and developers who faced the difficult challenge of ending their games. The panel will go over the topics such as branching narratives and how multiple endings function, the impression that a game leaves at the end of the experience, and the challenges which were faced in bringing everything together in a conclusive and satisfying manner.

Panelists
George Ziets, Annie VanderMeer, Märten Rattasepp, Ata Sergey Nowak

Ata Sergey Nowak
Ata Sergey Nowak is a game developer from Germany with an intercultural background. Eight years ago, his passion for games began to transform into a professional career, since then he worked on several games like Hearts of Iron 3: Their Finest Hour, East vs West, Squad, Terminal Conflict and acclaimed mods like Black ICE and Project Reality. While studying in Turkey, his experiences of political tension and instability inspired him to work on a new game to dive deeper in the subject. This led to the creation of Suzerain; a political narrative game where the player steps in the shoes of Anton Rayne, an upcoming President of Sordland in a fictional 50's universe.

Annie VanderMeer
Annie VanderMeer has been in the game industry since 2004, working on both AAA and indie projects, and in both design and writing roles. In 2009 she helped start DoubleBear Productions, was a senior writer/designer on their first title (Dead State) as well as directing its successful Kickstarter campaign, and the project lead on the second (PANIC! at Multiverse High). She has also contributed to tabletop projects (such as Fantasy Flight’s The Legacy of Dragonholt, Arkham Horror, and The Legend of the Five Rings), and freelance narrative design for the upcoming game Unpacking.

In 2019 she founded the Tiamat Collective - an organization for creatives of all stripes to find exciting opportunities and provide guidance to one another – and in very early 2020 she released a solo project, The Passenger, on itch.io. Her work has spanned from bizarre comedy to grim realism, genres from horror to high fantasy, and humor from dry wit to fart jokes.

Annie is currently working full-time as a senior game designer at ArenaNet, as well as freelancing in the occasional writing gig to ""keep her skills sharp"" (as well as a chance to write dumb lines about jalapeño poppers).

Märten Rattasepp
Märten is an ex-academic with a background in literary and cultural theory/criticism, with a side of semiotics, philosophy and classical philology. During his researcher days he focused mostly on modernism-postmodernism-amodernism, historiography and metafiction. Over the past ten years he has written a whole heap of reviews of books, movies, theatre and music, although that's been happening less as of late. After several years of grinding away at the analytical-theoretical angle, he decided not to pursue a doctorate (at least for the moment), and instead stumbled into video game writing.

Starting off, Märten worked as a Writer and Editor for Disco Elysium, then as a Lead Writer / Narrative Designer for Death and Taxes. He enjoys going on lengthy, several-hour-long walks (daily, if at all possible) and occasionally playing the drums (at a mediocre skill level). He currently works as a Narrative Designer for Digimancy Entertainment.

George Ziets
George Ziets has been a narrative designer and writer since 2001. He spent the first part of his career on MMOs like Lord of the Rings Online and D&D Online before running off to make more traditional RPGs. While working at Obsidian Entertainment and InXile, he designed or contributed to branching narratives on RPGs like Wasteland 3, Pillars of Eternity, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, and many more. In 2019, George co-founded a new RPG studio, Digimancy Entertainment, where he’s hard at work on a super-secret, publisher-funded project.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
"Good stories must die"
Indeed, there aren't many good stories in mainstream c/rpgs.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like someone on the organizing team wasn't quite sure of Annie VDM's gender, had to make it clear to onlookers, and then threw the rest of the pronouns in as a matter of consistency.

frajaq

Erudite
h-he's just going along because he has to, price of doing business these days, he's still /ourguy/

fwOJ6qL.png

CyberModuled

Savant
As if the term "ludonarrative dissonance" doesn't already want me to hang myself with how overused it is within the sphere of modern video essayists, who thought it'd be a good idea to make an entire mini convention around it?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Been listening for 5 mins or so. They're talking about freedom, choice, C&C, identity and

E M O T I O N A L
I N V E S T M E N T

Crpgs revealed as the play ground for postmodern identity

As if the term "ludonarrative dissonance" doesn't already want me to hang myself with how overused it is within the sphere of modern video essayists, who thought it'd be a good idea to make an entire mini convention around it?

Ludonarrative just means games having a narrative. I don't know why they wouldn't used that term, that's all they're talking about (narrative in games). No one said anything about dissonance you fucking imbecile

he's still /ourguy/

He'll be our guy when he'll be accused of rape, I guess

CyberModuled

Savant
Ludonarrative just means games having a narrative. I don't know why they wouldn't used that term, that's all they're talking about (narrative in games). No one said anything about dissonance you fucking imbecile
My bad for thinking it was tangentially related to a dumber term then.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Märten is an ex-academic with a background in literary and cultural theory/criticism, with a side of semiotics, philosophy and classical philology. During his researcher days he focused mostly on modernism-postmodernism-amodernism, historiography and metafiction

WTF did i just read lmao.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Marginal persona heading a team of woke SJWs. We have all seen this before with Pillars. Infinitron is sprinting into Zeits' asshole quickly, to absolutely no one's surprise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
luj1, since you arrived on this forum from RPGWatch, you've quite successfully try-harded your way to the top of the edgy social ladder. But sorry, I don't think you're going to get anti-George Zietsism to become a thing on the Codex. Not yet.

Murk

Arcane
Is he just talking to them or is he hiring them?

Their website only shows the three founders, no list of other staff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom