Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

krilcebre

Learned
It's a concept demo. Nothing is "finished".

I know that, but their demo didn't achieve a single thing that would make me excited for a new gothic game, which is its purpose in the first place. Pretty much everything about it was wrong.

I'll play the devil's advocate, and say they wanted to avoid the omnipresent "shades of brown" colouration that has been a plague on the gaming industry for most of the last two decades.

So they added bluish filter along with huge amount of bloom, which has also been plaguing gaming industry for the past decade. I am okay with improving things that were done poorly in the original game, but don't try to fix things that made it good in the first place.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It would be nice if there is a full remake that comes from this. But not without PB doing it. But I'm sure PB is deep into Elex 2's development.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I do agree that the graphics are the least concern to me here.

I mean sure, is it perfect? no, not by any stretch of the imagination but at the same time Gothic looks like it's made out of Lego so i'm really giving them some leeway here (just as with the combat)

The rest is still atrocious but I think that this is the least of out problems

JDR13

Arcane

I know that, but their demo didn't achieve a single thing that would make me excited for a new gothic game, which is its purpose in the first place. Pretty much everything about it was wrong.

It's purpose is to gauge fan interest and see what we want. That's why there's a survey for it. A lot of shit is obviously wrong with it which is why everyone needs to fill out that survey.

krilcebre

Learned

It's purpose is to gauge fan interest and see what we want. That's why there's a survey for it. A lot of shit is obviously wrong with it which is why everyone needs to fill out that survey.

But the fact that they got so many things wrong doing stuff on their own is not very promising, don't you agree? If they need the fanbase to tell them what to do, and what not to, I don't think they are capable enough as a team to do this project. Also whenever i hear "modernization", I immediately knot they sre gonna ruin stuff ( they already got a dialog wheel in). They went the Ass Effect route, instead of implementing clqssic dialog mechanic that works on every occasion. Even Skyrim got that right. :despair:

JDR13

Arcane

But the fact that they got so many things wrong doing stuff on their own is not very promising, don't you agree? If they need the fanbase to tell them what to do, and what not to, I don't think they are capable enough as a team to do this project. Also whenever i hear "modernization", I immediately knot they sre gonna ruin stuff ( they already got a dialog wheel in). They went the Ass Effect route, instead of implementing clqssic dialog mechanic that works on every occasion. Even Skyrim got that right. :despair:

Again, it's just a concept demo. Nothing is set in stone. Yes, the dialogue wheel is garbage, but that's something that can be changed fairly easily. If enough people show their dislike for it, I'm pretty sure they'll go to a more standard system for the dialogue.

The combat is also garbage, but that's another thing that can be significantly changed and hopefully will. I have no delusions that they'll make a game that's on the same level that Gothic was in 2001, but it's possible they could at least make something decent with enough refinement.

krilcebre

Learned
I hope this "tech demo" is basically a sacrificial offering in order to make a "DO NOT DO" list, and then follow up with a proper development cycle. The number of obviously wrong choices seems almost intentional.

Sounds like doing things right with extra steps.:D

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'll play the devil's advocate, and say they wanted to avoid the omnipresent "shades of brown" colouration that has been a plague on the gaming industry for most of the last two decades.
How's 2010 like? I haven't been there in the last 9 years.
"Brown and bloom" died with the 7th console generation. It's no longer a serious thing since the Xboner and PS4 launched.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Again, it's just a concept demo. Nothing is set in stone. Yes, the dialogue wheel is garbage, but that's something that can be changed fairly easily. If enough people show their dislike for it, I'm pretty sure they'll go back to a more standard system for the dialogue.

The combat is also garbage, but that's another thing that can be significantly changed and hopefully will. I have no delusions that they'll make a game that's on the same level that Gothic was in 2001, but it's possible they could at least make something decent with enough refinement.

And you are optimistic that with an approval rating of nearly 80% they will understand that these aspects are shit?

We all know what will happen, they will analyse the easy to analyze data on the forms, extract the average check the overall review score and be done with it.

As if someone would read the 5k written essays of the users and even if, there will be enough people without taste voicing there that it is great.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Again, it's just a concept demo. Nothing is set in stone. Yes, the dialogue wheel is garbage, but that's something that can be changed fairly easily. If enough people show their dislike for it, I'm pretty sure they'll go back to a more standard system for the dialogue.

And you are optimistic that with an approval rating of nearly 80% they will understand that these aspects are shit?

We all know what will happen, they will analyse the easy to analyze data on the worms, extract the average check the overall review score and be done with it.

As if someone would read the 5k written essays of the users and even if, there will be enough people without taste voicing there that it is great.

Like I said, I have no delusions that they'll make another Gothic that's on the same level as the old one.

As someone mentioned earlier, Gothic was "lightning in a bottle". No one, including Piranha Bytes, will ever perfectly recreate that.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
jnoixwoelv441.jpg

[Gothic: Remake] Apparently it's possible to disable some of the graphical postprocessing to make the game look less bright and bloomy (screenshots found on /v/)
source https://www.reddit.com/r/worldofgot...ic_remake_apparently_its_possible_to_disable/

Interesting how removing some post-processing can improve graphics and atmosphere so much. Shit mechanics, dialogs and writing are sadly not as easily improvable, once already finished. Hopefully they'll listen to the fanbase, as this thing doesn't have anything to do with Gothic as of right now.

The shades of brown was because almost every dev was using the Unreal engine. Especially the Unreal 3 engine.

soulburner

Cipher
jnoixwoelv441.jpg

[Gothic: Remake] Apparently it's possible to disable some of the graphical postprocessing to make the game look less bright and bloomy (screenshots found on /v/)
source https://www.reddit.com/r/worldofgot...ic_remake_apparently_its_possible_to_disable/
Wow, the screens on the right look so clean and clear, I love that look. Just add a slight HDR effect on the sky here and there, maybe some small distant fog on the farthest objects, some shadows and it would be brilliant.

Anyway, based on what I've read and seen so far, this remake looks like it has everything that's wrong with modern games, only increased a notch or three.

catfood

AGAIN
b6L37vQ.png

So you wanna enhance the immersion huh? Ok, let's see what you got.

Gothic 1:
First enemies the main character sees are a bunch of thugs that punch him in the face and tell him "Welcome to the colony". A perfect introduction to the setting that the player is presented with.

nuGothic:
First enemies the main character sees are a bunch of snappers, a creature he apparently sees for the first time even though they are present on the main continent. Welcome to the colony moar liek WHALECUM TO JURASSIC FUCKING PARK. BITCH!

Fuck these mouth breathing developers.

catfood

AGAIN
I watched a gameplay video and every single fucking thing that these retarded spics added and changed is the complete and total opposite of "enhancing immersion" Every. Single Fucking. Thing. FUCK

krilcebre

Learned
I am not even sure why are they trying to enhance immersion, when immersion and atmosphere are probably the best things about Gothic games already.

Alphard

Magister
Worst idea? No, it makes perfectly sense. I can't deal any damage in a fire magician with a fire bolt, but can with a storm of fire, because the fire robe absorbs in flat amount.

Armor absorbing in percentage is awful. Makes a sword and a warhammer wielded by a 2.5m tall orc equally effective vs a heavy plate armor. On FNV, a SMG outDPS a rifle with AP rounds vs unarmored targets but is useless vs heavily armored enemies and i love it. Percentage reduction homogenizes armor, progression, spells and weaponry.
That's all good for a turn based game, but in an action game, theoretically built around player skill rather than character skill, flat damage reduction sucks. Just look at Dragon's Dogma, or BotW, you are either so underequipped that mastery of the game's systems is irrilevant as you'll be stuck doing chip damage, or so overpowered that you are free to detach yourself completely from the combat as you'll melt anything anyway.
I don't want another Gothic 1/2 where your defensive options suck, enemies don't telegraph for shit, you can't reliably deal nor avoid damage and with random spurs of completely unneeded RNG. If you want to make an action RPG use the template of the actually good ones, that managed to make good player skill systems while also throwing a bone to the RPG players who want to see numbers go up and improve passively (because not every % reduction game is fucked up like Skyrim is), that released in the last 20 years like the Souls games or Nioh.
Idk why the ratings, but i completely agree with you. Having a subtraction system defenses absolutely ruin the immersion.
I smack this high level goblin head with my mace: 0 damage because my attack is lower than his defenses. That is absolutely right, right?
Or i have this op weapon and can 1shot low level dragons.
The combat like this feels just a calculator is playing for you.
The worst moments for me in Dragons dogma ( wich is one of my favorite modern action rpg btw) is when i was doing 0 damage to enemies because defense threeshold, and after getting op weapons destroying them.
Idk the damage formula of games like DS, but that's the way to go. You can kill all enemies at lv 1 with unupgraded weapon, provided you are good enough and know the game.

Israfael

Arcane
Gothic Cry 5: Forsaken Bloom. Did they actually play Gothic and see how it's drab, lightless and not that shiny and plastic-y like this prefabbed fastfood game is?

Maybe it's just developers, not the population that is inclined in Eastern Europe?
Absolutely. It's just more or less literate and older people from CIS post here on 'dex, while the sui generis gamer from Russia is haunting the VK / Russian part of Youtube / Twitch or whatever. They all love F3, MMS (unless it's blatant anti-Russia shlock like the recent CoD (or was it BF 5?))) and every sort of decline unless there are LGBT people innit (then it's hated till no tomorrow - the most prevalent complaint about DA:O was that the hapless players found themselves in the gay elf's bed after clicking through whole dialogue tree)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

A penal colony should not be like Disney.

But the fact that they got so many things wrong doing stuff on their own is not very promising, don't you agree? If they need the fanbase to tell them what to do, and what not to, I don't think they are capable enough as a team to do this project. Also whenever i hear "modernization", I immediately knot they sre gonna ruin stuff ( they already got a dialog wheel in). They went the Ass Effect route, instead of implementing clqssic dialog mechanic that works on every occasion. Even Skyrim got that right.

I don't know why developers love this fallout 4 dialog. The most popular FL4 mod literally replaces this BS with the classic dialog system

Having a subtraction system defenses absolutely ruin the immersion.
I smack this high level goblin head with my mace: 0 damage because my attack is lower than his defenses. That is absolutely right, right?

No, makes PERFECTLY SENSE. Your goblin example is wrong because goblins has poor armor.
If you swing you sword in a high armored NPC, it will deals no damage and makes sense.
If the damage reduction is by percentage, then a KITCHEN KNIFE WIELDED BY A LV 0 PLAYER AND A WARHAMMER WIELDED BY A 2.5M TALL ORC WILL BE EQUALLY EFFECTIVE VS PLATE ARMOR. Plate will just reduce X percent of the damage. Golems in any gothic game are far more susceptible to take damage from hammers than swords and it makes perfectly sense.

Your example of Dragon's Dogma is silly because in DD has much gear dependency.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
When dark souls remaster got announced, prepare to die got removed in steam.
We are talking about Gothic here,even if it got removed from steam,the game have like 10 million pirated copies.....in poland alone lol. The only way to ruin the original with a remaster is to make it better than the original. And as we see here,that is not happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom