Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    About to start my first playthrough and super excited! How is this for a first party on novice (yes novice--new to the blobber genre. My first crpg was isometric :P)?

(1) Saurian Berserker
    (2) Giant Fighter
    (3) Leonar Ranger
    (4) Durendil Templar
    (5) Feyfolk Bard
    (6) Aeorb Sage
    (7) Human mage (this is the only race/class combo I'm choosing for purely RP reasons--ref to my old D&D char)
    (8) Vamphyr necromancer

Also, how are the "Crafting" classes (Thaumaturge and Metalsmith)? I heard they've been fully implemented now--would it be worth swapping out the above for one of them?

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Butter Arcane

Butter
    That should be fine.

^ Top  
  3. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Keep in mind that Durendil cannot equip many of the armor items and that the Aeorb is very squishy. Sages can also use music intruments, so you don't need a Bard. Take a Barrower Thaumaturge instead, especially if you want to multiclass at some point.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    :thisisfine:

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Thanks guys--so far, so good on my first playthrough. Working my way through Aquavia now and just killed the snake miniboss. Even on novice the game is providing a reasonable level of challenge. Plenty of creatures were able to wipe the floor with me starting out (moths; mushrooms), but all of my characters except for the necro just gained a level, so I might have an easier time with those now.

What are "tablet robbers" and how do they work? I have the feature activated, but am not quite sure what it does...

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Butter Arcane

Butter
    In order to complete the game, you have to acquire 8 tablets scattered around the world. Tablet robbers are people that can potentially get there first, which means you have to get the tablets from them. This was inspired by a similar mechanic in Wizardry 7.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    You need to find tablets to finish the game. Tablet robbers are other parties that may find them first and then you need track them down - it's the same mechanic that was there in Wizardry 7.

Edit: Butter is a ninja.

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Does anyone know how necromancers were made better in version 3.0? Do they possibly get a chance to become liches??? :bounce:

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Do you guys multiclass everyone? Or just a few?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    I remember that Cleve wanted to buff the Necromancers, not sure if anything was changed since then.

^ Top  
  12. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Their Summon Undead spell is a quite useful meatgrinder spell.

^ Top  
  13. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    Hey--just want to say how much I'm really enjoying Grimoire. I'm only about 12-15 hours in, but the experience has been amazing so far. Playing on Novice since I haven't played many blobbers, but the game is still putting up a very good challenge. I hope there are many more updates to come!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    I tested Necromancers after 3.0 and they hadn't been changed from what I could tell. The specific idea we talked about was to give them the ability to sometimes permanently gain a hit point if they kill something with certain spells.

Edit: here is Cleve's post on Necromancers I'm talking about

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. MadMal073 Literate

MadMal073
    That would be pretty cool. One thing that I did notice, though I'm not sure whether it's a new feature is that while Vamphyrs have low hp, it is pretty awesome when they hit with unarmed bite attacks. The bite itself only appears to do 1d4 or so damage, but it triggers a save that, when failed, deals about 15 damage more to the monster, that the Vamphyr gains as hp. Was a very pleasant surprise when I discovered that :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. noog24 Barely Literate

noog24
    I don't know where to start. It's frankly incredible to me that this game exists and Cleveland saw this project through. 20+ years! As a software developer (albeit not a game developer) it's remarkable to see a fruitful release after that long of a development cycle. This is indeed the kind of dedication and vision that is lacking almost entirely in today's gaming industry. It's a success story I won't soon forget and will be sure to tell.

Ever since I played Wizardry 7 in my college days I've had a continued affinity for open-world games (still looking at you, Terraria). I eschew almost all other RPG's that are story/cutscene based and I fall squarely into the blobber genre when it comes to RPG's. The maps, the loot and the game mechanics, combined with a good pair of headphones and my esoteric choices in music - that is the story for me. More than any other game, Wizardry 7 has remained a touchstone for me - still remember my good friend and I, attending colleges 4 hours apart, often helping each other over the phone on this game. Well, mostly him helping me since he had a better knack for the puzzles. My strength was farming the right map regions and buffing up my characters when I was stuck LOL. I was a map piece short of finishing the game and I could never figure out what I had borked ... so in a sense I still feel like I have unfinished business, even after all this time!

I'm a week in and enjoying Grimoire so far. This game is a godsend because it has the quality of life improvements Wizardry 7 always needed and that Wizardry Gold (shudder) massively failed on. Going to take my time and enjoy this bad boy - I'm feeling this will be a memorable winter of gaming. Cheers and many thanks to you Cleveland!

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.