Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Dexter

Arcane
you have no problem using oled with critical weakness ( pentile) AND amazingly YOU STILL DO after x years down the line.
No, I have no problem using OLED, in fact I'd prefer it over LCD especially in VR, although I don't own a OLED TV right now (4K LCD with LED backlight) it's likely to be an Upgrade at some point soon. Burn-in is a bit of a concern (not in VR since the picture always changes), but I don't know how much of a problem that still is.

If anyone is wondering wtf he is even ranting about for the past several posts, it's the Subpixel arrangement on displays, RGB LCDs (And RGB OLEDs, which are rarer, for VR afaik only the SONY PSVR uses it) have a Pixel segmented into three Subpixels (Red, Green and Blue), Pentile Segmentation is based on the idea that the human eye is more sensitive to Green as a color and usually has Red and Blue Subpixels twice the size of Green ones, but Green ones being more numerous and being shared between pixels:
1-Figure1-1.png

https://smartglasseshub.com/vr-headset-display-comparison/
LCD (RGB Stripe) vs OLED (PenTile)
One of the main differences between LCD (RGB) and OLED (PenTile) is the subpixel count and layout. LCD displays with RGB Stripe layout have 3 subpixels for each pixel (red, green, blue).

OLED PenTile displays, on the other hand, only have 2 subpixels for each pixel (a dedicated green subpixel and 0.5 red and 0.5 blue pixels – the other half is shared with neighbor pixel).

lcd-rgb-vs-oled-pentile.jpg

Pentile vs RGB Subpixel arrangment
What this essentially means that if we take two VR headsets with the same resolution, but one has an LCD RGB and the other OLED PenTile display, we should notice a difference in the overall sharpness of the image.

To illustrate the point, let does take a through-the-lens capture of two Pimax headsets (5K+ vs 5K XR). Both of these headsets have a resolution of 2560 x 1440, but it is quite clear that the image on the LCD display is sharper and more easily readable (look at the word “Credits” for example).

oled-vs-lcd-same-resolution-1024x372.jpg

Pimax 5K (LCD RGB) vs 5K XR (OLED PenTile) through-the-lens capture. Image Source: SweViver
This image also shows another key difference between OLED and LCD displays. What we have here is a “dark scene” and it is clearly visible that the blacks on LCD are significantly more “washed out” and greyish than on the OLED screen.

OLED screens, compared to LCD, tend to have more “popping” and vivid colors in general, but unfortunately, it is not too apparent on this particular capture.

Did you know? LCD-s tend to produce “washed out” blacks because they use extremely bright LEDs as the light source. Even when the liquid crystals (pixels) are “shut off”, some light still gets through (and thus contributing to a greyish effect)

The key ideas for you to take along – LCD screens with RGB stripe have 1/3 times more subpixels (for the same resolution). This contributes to a sharper overall image and less screen-door effect. On the other hand, OLED displays (PenTile subpixel arrangement) are able to output darker blacks and more vivid colors (whereas the image from LCD might seem more “washed out”)

What about OLED (RGB) displays?
If OLED displays are able to output better colors and RGB subpixel layout contributes to a higher sub(pixel) count, then it seems that the best of both worlds would be an OLED display with an RGB stripe subpixel layout? And you might indeed say so.

The things is, however, that OLED displays have been only lately adapted to HMD-s and are more expensive to produce. In fact, one of the reasons why PenTile layout is often used with OLED screens is actually to save on costs (it easier and cheaper to implement compared to RGB)

Regardless, Sony’s PSVR headset was the first mainstream VR headset to use OLED (RGB) displays and somehow they managed to keep the production costs at a reasonable level. The other two headsets in this list that utilize OLED RGB displays are StarVR One and XTAL. Here we can clearly see the price correlation, as both will set you back at least a couple of thousand dollars.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Don't be so naive, it's not just arrangement but the direct progenitor of SDE.
Even if you'd try some clever vibrated screen method to hide it ("wow oled is so fast lets use it!" ), oleds still show SDE because the gaps are so bad.
And this sets apart a true microdisplay from a repurposed handheld display (+stuff like black smear)

but obviously they have many generations to sell before you get a true microdisplay, how ironic, maybe its not too late. :D

tritosine2k

Erudite
otpr7m27rtar5eftnbmex77jha.jpg

LCD contrast+fill is 10x easier fix than OLED fill, 16% fill is unfixable , not that you see anyone fixing anything in VR , even though it had the "original kool kid" Palmer ( still lmao) but hey.

what a crock ... as expected.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is starting to shape up nicely.

Pretty much confirms what I've said in one of the previous pages

VR is never going to replace traditional input interfaces

I might be great for games with very tactile interactions, god games and racing games
But anything where the player must perform fast and complex movements/interactions, it can produce nothing but slow, limited, boring games

And Alyx is nothing more than a tech demo for Source 2 and Valve Index

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is that supposed to be some kind of rebuttal Ed123?

Not only does that look boring, it still doesn't prove how you could make something like Sands of Time playable with VR devices as input interfaces.

ADL

Prophet

Isn't already there a much better-looking VR game focused around climbing? What's the point?

The inevitable Epistle 3 fan made levels will need climbing mechanics like this.

You could say the same thing about Half-Life 2 for Source and Half-Life for GoldSRC. These games have always been technical showcases first and foremost.

Egosphere

Arcane
Pretty much confirms what I've said in one of the previous pages

VR is never going to replace traditional input interfaces

I might be great for games with very tactile interactions, god games and racing games
But anything where the player must perform fast and complex movements/interactions, it can produce nothing but slow, limited, boring games

VR might pick up the pace with 3d artists. Sculpting by hand instead of a tablet and stylus is pretty damn cool.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished it. How does the ending make sense? Why would we have ever seen the alternate as Freeman?
I still miss the proper Alyx voice (Merle Dandridge).

Nah, the new voice actress is doing a great job for a 19yo Alyx.
She's only five years younger. That's a pretty stupid reason. Dandridge was better.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
She's only five years young. That's a pretty stupid reason. Dandridge was better.
It's interesting to see her in the beta. I wish Tyler McVicker could somehow leak it. Who the hell knows how he got his hands on it.

Finished it. How does the ending make sense? Why would we have ever seen the alternate as Freeman?
Pocket universe used by the G-Man to test Alyx and recruit her, which seems like they're writing themselves into a corner unless they intend for G-Man to come out of Eli's plot for revenge unscathed.

tritosine2k

Erudite
fizzelopeguss
you're not getting oled cmos microdisplays with fillfactor on consumer level anytime soon (with large area for VR fov) so you'r not getting your oled kool aid fill lol,& that's that ( because transistors on glass are large and they are already using too few that's why there's shitty near black because no mura compensation ). The one talking shit is you as always.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I still miss the proper Alyx voice (Merle Dandridge).

Nah, the new voice actress is doing a great job for a 19yo Alyx.
She's only five years younger. That's a pretty stupid reason. Dandridge was better.

5 years younger makes a difference. Dandridge would have sounded too mature.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started playing Alyx tonight. 90 minutes in and I'm blown away by how gorgeous it is. ADL and Wunderbar are totally right about VR changing the complexion of the experience. Touching the gun itself to reload it instead of pressing a button on a keyboard is indeed a big deal, and little touches like storing ammo in your backpack instead of an abstract inventory does wonders for making me feel like "I'm there". I'm very much reminded of how I felt when I first played Half-Life 2, with its gorgeous-for-the-time graphics and impressive set pieces, without especially memorable or groundbreaking gameplay. What's really on offer here is a sensational showcase of the technology's potential, and it delivers.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I would love to try HL:A with a VR headset but I can't afford one so I hope that that non VR mod gets finished even if it makes the game a rather standard FPS.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I would love to try HL:A with a VR headset but I can't afford one so I hope that that non VR mod gets finished even if it makes the game a rather standard FPS.

Playing HLA without a VR headset is destroying the purpose of the game. Id either get a Quest2 for 300 bucks or leave it be

Latelistener

Arcane
I've checked that mod some time ago. It doesn't play like a standard fps at all. You have to remake the whole game for that.

I don't have a VR headset and I doubt I'll get one in the foreseeable future, but I agree that playing Alyx without one doesn't make sense. There are much better non-VR fps games.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I've checked that mod some time ago. It doesn't play like a standard fps at all. You have to remake the whole game for that.
Oh thanks for telling me that. Guess I raised my hopes a little too much.
I don't have a VR headset and I doubt I'll get one in the foreseeable future, but I agree that playing Alyx without one doesn't make sense. There are much better non-VR fps games.
I find it very hard lately to find decent single player FPS games that are not tired repeats of previous ones or open world action-adventure hybrids.
A lot of focus these days is on team based shooters, some which can be played in single player mode but the companions would have to be bots.
Especially the sci fi genre has been rather disappointing.

Latelistener

Arcane
I find it very hard lately to find decent single player FPS games that are not tired repeats of previous ones or open world action-adventure hybrids.
A lot of focus these days is on team based shooters, some which can be played in single player mode but the companions would have to be bots.
Especially the sci fi genre has been rather disappointing.
Not sure about that. I've never felt a shortage of fps games. We now literally have the whole Halo series on Steam.

And there were a lot of good indie projects like Ultrakill, Severed Steel, Bright Memory, Deep Rock Galactic (which can be played solo with a flying drone as a help), Roboquest, etc.

Plus a whole wagon of boomer shooters.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Alyx without [a VR headset] doesn't make sense.
I find it very hard lately to find decent single player FPS games.
That's a separate problem that has nothing to do with this game. Just because you can't find a game you like doesn't make it a good idea to butcher this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom