Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has Fallout 3 become a legitimate topic of discussion?

Teepo

Scholar
I just don't understand. Why would they make F3 with the Oblivion engine?

To me it points to the fact that they developers just don't give a shit. They just want to have an easy time developing a successful game. And the successful part comes from the PR, not the game.

It's not even anything against Bethesda or a personal vendetta for destroying the Fallout series as it was. It's mostly that someone like Todd Howard developed the game. I have more taste in my pinky then Howard has in his whole body. I would not trust Todd Howard to create a deep game more then I would for him to deliver my baby.

There is a complete lack of understanding of what is a good RPG from this man, and he became in charge of what was my favorite RPG at the time.

The whole idea of Fallout 3 is bad. Pseudo-RPG with a freeze ability to make head shots. Who the hell interpreted Fallout like this? Todd probably.

I think if any other professional company made Fallout 3 it would've been amazing (read: Blizzard.) But, like Obliviion, the game wreaks of amateur game design and apathy.

A lot of design decisions for Oblivion\Fallout 3 came out of it being easy for the programmers to implement. (For example, equipment that breaks so uncreatively. autoscaling of monsters around.)

I would prefer that people with more talent be behind the Fallout series.

Teepo said:
The whole idea of Fallout 3 is bad. Pseudo-RPG with a freeze ability to make head shots. Who the hell interpreted Fallout like this? Todd probably.

Well, when you consider that FO1&2 were turn-based and you could make aimed shots to the head, then the games were basically on permanent "freeze for headshots" state

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not the best comparison to make because enemies could do the same thing to you (particularly on rough difficulty where they make more targeted shots). Do enemies in Fallout 3 use VATS for the increased critical chance and damage resistance?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RWIRD.jpg

nbRKS.png

Teepo

Scholar
Aiming for a head shot was an extention of the turnbased combat. It was supposed to simulate when someone aims. It wasn't some program attached to your wrist that let you freeze shit. That is just derpy. Even if you're right, and the Fallout 1 developers were silly it can be forgiven, for that was 13 years ago.

Fallout 3 developers looked at fallout and tried to find the "epicest" thing about the game and it turned out to be the aiming system. I do not think we could find a greater misunderstanding of what Fallout was supposed to be. You can not just lift one arbitrary thing from Fallout that doesn't even really matter, and consider it a Fallout game.

My point is Fallout 3 is fundamentally flawed. The concept will not sit well even with good writing.

As much as I hate to be that guy, Fallout 3 is literally Oblivion with guns. I am not even reiterating a platitude. That is, what it is.

They took Oblivion. Added guns. Added a freeze and aim system. Everything from Oblivion is still in that game. Derpy dialogue and derpy characters. Derpy world and derpy dungeons.

It is literally a spectacular Fallout mod for Oblivion.

It is simply unfortunate that Bethesda took control of the franchise. Maybe they were taking out a potential competitor?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've tried to play FO3 about 4 times since it came out.

I gave up on the first attempt, managed to finish it at my second attempt (which took me 8 months I might add, since I couldn't play for more than 20 minutes straight).

After that, I tried to slap some mods on it but I couldn't make it out the vault into megaton before throwing up.

Oblivion with mods was not nearly as boring as this game, even though I never finished it nor did I play it for longer than 10 hours. Both games are total shit though, both from the gameplay, artistic (lulz) and specially technical points of view.

Konjad

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've tried to play FO3 about 4 times since it came out.

I gave up on the first attempt, managed to finish it at my second attempt (which took me 8 months I might add, since I couldn't play for more than 20 minutes straight).

After that, I tried to slap some mods on it but I couldn't make it out the vault into megaton before throwing up.

Oblivion with mods was not nearly as boring as this game, even though I never finished it nor did I play it for longer than 10 hours. Both games are total shit though, both from the gameplay, artistic (lulz) and specially technical points of view.
Oblivion was crap, but it did have a decent subquest here and there that kept the interest at least a little bit. That cannot be said about anything released by Bethesda after Shivering Isles.

Though it still was overall a crap game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's epic necromancy here Comrade but one has to agree Oblivion and Fallout 3 killed my two favorite series both Fallouts and TES were never same after they were both raped by Todd.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
I've played it twice, once with mods and once without. It was fun as a non-canon, alternate version of the FO universe, somewhere sideways in time to the original Black Isle games. Not a real RPG in the hardcore sense, more in the massive open world 1st-person shooter/adventure genre obviously. I'm currently installing Tale of Two Wastelands because of it's major improvements over the original release. It was a blast to install a huge monster variety mod (MMM) and the Robco Certified mod and go puttering around in that world, playing a mad scientist adventurer, creating robots and siccing them on the monsters or hapless NPCs. The official main quest was my least favorite parts of FO3 but had some highly enjoyable moments nonetheless. I just don't have the hatred for it others here have. I saw one guy here pretty much admit that he actually cried when he played FO3 because it wasn't like the originals. That speaks volumes about the mental stability of at least some of the haters. But, yes, I am noticing a trend with certain codexers returning to it because of the TOTW merge mod.

Bastardchops

Savant
played skyrim for 20 minutes and was in disbelief how shit it was

:kingcomrade:

what a poser... a true rpg connoisseur would have quit in the 7th minute at the latest!
I just remember finding Fallout 3 really fucking boring. I quit playing Skyrim when I saw the console friendly menus.

Bastardchops

Savant
Is FNV worth playing?

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout 3 is not a storyfag's RPG with less quest, less memorable characters, less even background setting for locations. As storyfaq, a normal player of RPG going in F3 will come away sore, disappointed, and annoyed as fuck~

THAT SAID.

With that said, Fallout 3 is a gameplayer's RPG, a tactical gamer's RPG. You can say it's a tactical game with heavy RPG elements thrown in~ unlike Jagged Alliance 2 which is a tactical game with medium RPG elements thrown in. OR Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
An ancient necro'd thread filled with people fondling a turd and making excuses for their turd fondling.

Yep, sure is Codex in here.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
Herr Fedora Master said that so sensuously; that part about fondling a turd.

Is FNV worth playing?

Get Wabberjack and find and install Viva New Vegas. You'll be playing FNV in 15 minutes. Most modlists are retarded and full of outdated, buggy, and unoptimized mods (one popular FNV mod runs 50+ scripts every time you take a step). Viva New Vagas was compiled by a sperg-bro who seemed to actually know what he was doing and whose obsession was to make a modlist with mods that ran so well and were so efficient that it actually makes the game run smoother than vanilla without sacrificing visual/gameplay quality. I saw a tranny on youtube yesterday that complied their own massive 200+ mod modlist, I think, for Tale of Two Wastelands with links and instructions on how to do the 6+ hour install. Don't do that.

Comte

Herr Fedora Master said that so sensuously; that part about fondling a turd.

Is FNV worth playing?

Get Wabberjack and find and install Viva New Vegas. You'll be playing FNV in 15 minutes. Most modlists are retarded and full of outdated, buggy, and unoptimized mods (one popular FNV mod runs 50+ scripts every time you take a step). Viva New Vagas was compiled by a sperg-bro who seemed to actually know what he was doing and whose obsession was to make a modlist with mods that ran so well and were so efficient that it actually makes the game run smoother than vanilla without sacrificing visual/gameplay quality. I saw a tranny on youtube yesterday that complied their own massive 200+ mod modlist, I think, for Tale of Two Wastelands with links and instructions on how to do the 6+ hour install. Don't do that.

Is viva new vegas a mod pack you can download?

Ryzer

Prophet
Even modded intensively, it remains an unstable overrated crap burden in a messy engine whatever you do. So don't bother and play something else.

Comte

Even modded intensively, it remains an unstable overrated crap burden in a messy engine whatever you do. So don't bother and play something else.

New Vegas crashes all the time when i play i usually get frustrated and uninstall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom