Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sinilevä Arcane Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    The thing is I never attacked Norway. Norway just decided to join Allies for now reason at all.

^ Top  
  2. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Yes that was quite obvious from your post.

I think thats quite historical honestly, Sweden was very much forced to trade with Germany and would prefer to not do it if given the option. IIRC they were allowed 4 ships of supply per year from the West during the war to cover the most basic import needs...

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sinilevä Arcane Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    So I conquered both Sweden and Norway. Lots of iron now. Is there any way to dismantle those Reichskommissariats? The Reichskommissariat of Denmark now owns the entire of Scandinavia. That's really annoying, because I just want to release all those countries as puppets. In DH you can just release countries with no problem, but here it's some kind of a shitshow. I wanted to do Sea Lion, but my navy only has 13 ships now, so it's not gonna happen, even though I bombed the crap out of all English ships in the channel. The naval invasion thing is also poorly implemented. Why the hell do I have to wait for so long before launching an invasion? If in reality it took 40-80 days to plan to land on some little island the Pacific War would still be going. And why I can't override the lack of naval superiority? My planes destroy anything that enters the channel. Why can't I risk it? Oh well... Barbarossa it is then...

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Niggerino Arcane Vatnik

Niggerino
    13 ships is enough, just keep bombing the shit out of the channel and put the ships on invasion support. You can even invade with only subs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jonathan "Zee Cat Magister

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    Game is poop, play Darkest Hour or Hoi3 stead.

• Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Tried another German campaign, again crashed in April 1942. Anyone else experiencing that issue?

• No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sinilevä Arcane Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    I will try that, because Barbarossa failed. The production capability of SU in 1942 is just too massive for me to handle. I need some nukes and rockets to tip the balance. Also I run out of rubber.
    I couldn't start the game yesterday, because their shitty launcher refused to work. I reinstalled the launcher and the game started but it would crash when I tried to load my game. I had to reinstall launcher again and it worked.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    HoI3 is crap, it looks like game made by people who heard about war planning and stuff, but they never had any clue about real world military operations. Fans recreated maps, "chain of command" and then forgot to add actual research, and simulate combat.

HoI4 is becoming more crap by iterations after each DLC, naval DLC removed gun and aircraft ranges, thus it killed naval combat. Railroad DLC is lame duck. Greece DLC changed balance.

• decline decline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gary Grigsby or death!

• feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    You too can now waste your entire life trying to finish one campaign only to encounter a bug with tank penetration stats that forces you to restart.
    All for the low price of 70+ euros.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    C'mon stuff like that should be free. No point of paying them for wasting hours by playing it.

^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Thanks, I am sane enough to play the Army Group X-level scenarios, which don't span 4 years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jonathan "Zee Cat Magister

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    already play it, also is too much "autistic" for the normies that play hoi4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    Yeah, HOI4 is good for larping, but pretending it's a simulation if you've had school education of ww2 is a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jonathan "Zee Cat Magister

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    similar way as then did to stellaris, game was nice when it came out but went decline as soon then changed the pop system with "improving the ai" excuse.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sinilevä Arcane Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    I gave up on my campaign, because of extremely poor performance. Started to play DH again with Blood and Iron mod. What a huge difference. It's so much better than HoI4 even with World Ablaze. One thing I wish mods for DH used E3 map. In fact I can't even find E3 map anymore. All links seem to be broken and there is only a topogrpahic version available which I don't like.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron Vatnik

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    I don't understand why Paradox STILL hasn't modernized their engine, or rewrite it from scratch. They are not some small 50 person studio anymore. They can do that and soak the upfront costs. It will be a base ground for their upcoming titles. Also add modding support and you get yourself another 10 years of industry profit, because there are no serious competitors with the resources. A small studio can make complex simulator, but it will be without any flavor and presentation[forget any graphics, even good map], unpolished mess for next 5 years. Look at Aurora 4x. Does it look like something you want to play?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    It's much better to write games like HoI4 from scratch without using engine, and hardcode stuff, than use engine. With engine, paradox blabbering about being unable to send bombers over multiple provinces, and it must teleport them to destination, otherwise HoI4 would run too slowly.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron Vatnik

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    It is to cut cost and standardize their games which in turn decrease manpower needed and as mentioned, huge cost benefit for them. We should not kid ourselves that they will make engine for every game they do, or every game series.

^ Top  
  20. Sinilevä Arcane Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    That's because they have noone who can really programme. They have lost all the talent, because they are a shit company to work for. Those glassdoor reviews were fun to read. Now the only people who work for them are SJW pink haired "community managers" and some interns working for bread crumbs who do some minor coding for their shitty dlcs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Seigneur Locklear Cipher

Seigneur Locklear
    Look mum, no hands!
    AKA I wanted to see whether the new OP focuses of Baltic countries can hold on their own against CCCP. Started off with Estonia, no cheese or cheats, no annexing anything other than Latvia and Lithuania and most importantly - not joining papa Adolf because that shit's just too easy and no lend lease before the Germans actually got into the war themselves and offered on their own.

Basic set up a few months after the Soviet ultimatum: Went with 21 width with AA and mass assault doctrine for the memes.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Forts OP because AI is retarded.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Initial result. I let em have half the country and bunked down along Daugava river/Riga line.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

4 years later: Did union with Finland for the memes, not like I actually needed them.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Seigneur Locklear Cipher

Seigneur Locklear
    So, 1.11.5 is out.
    LUL, no wonder I was cutting through everything like knife through butter with motorized/rocket arty Bulgaria. Took Stalingrad in like 3 months or something.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The defenses of Stalingrad are no match for the Mad Max Rocket Bikergangs of Bulgaria.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Angelo85 Arcane Patron

Angelo85
    Paradox is dipping their toes into a subscription model, at least for DLC:

FAQ about the subscription from their Steam page:
    Show Spoiler

Subscription Service FAQ

How do I get the subscription?
    You need to own the base game only, then simply purchase game time from the Steam store page. There is also a button on the title screen that will take you there if you are not currently subscribed.

What does the subscription include?
    The subscription will give you access to Together for Victory, Death or Dishonor, Waking the Tiger, Man the Guns, La Resistance, Battle for the Bosporus, No Step Back, and cosmetic DLCs. Future releases will be covered in the subscription as well.

Why a subscription?
    With a plethora of DLC options to choose from, starting out from scratch can be daunting to new players. This is an affordable way for players to experience the entire HoI4 catalog without having to weigh which items they would prefer to purchase. This does not mean it is the only way to get DLC moving forward. The subscription service is entirely optional, and buying DLCs as you have always done is still, and always will be available.

I already bought a bunch of HoI4 DLC, will this affect me?
    Nope! Nothing will change for you. You still own all your DLC and you still have the option to purchase future DLC.

What happens if I stop subscribing?
    If you stop subscribing, you will lose access to any content you have not separately purchased.

I won't be playing HoI for a while, how do I cancel my subscription?
    Canceling is handled through your Steam account. Visit Account Details, where you can cancel a subscription at any time. Your canceled subscription will remain active until the paid plan expires.

Will my subscription cover future DLC?
    Yes! When new DLC and content packs are released, current subscription owners will have immediate access to them upon release.

What if I want to buy a DLC?
    That option is still available and always will be. The subscription service is an additional option that some players may find better suited to their situation. It is in addition to, and not instead of, a normal purchase.

Can I get a refund?
    If a renewable subscription has not been used during the current billing cycle, you may request a refund within 48 hours of the initial purchase or within 48 hours of any automatic renewal. Content is considered used if any games within the subscription have been played during the current billing cycle or if any benefits or discounts included with the subscription have been used, consumed, modified or transferred. More details can be found in Steams refund policy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • decline decline x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. RobotSquirrel Savant

RobotSquirrel
    Hah good one. Is that why you still have countries in Europe without focus trees? I can't keep up with all the irrelevant dead people they keep adding as althistory leaders.
    Also shouldn't they have made the base product free to play with this announcement? It'd be a smart move, they practically give it away during humble sales.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.