Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I like Highfleet, I really do, but this review falls well below his usual standards. Same goes for the previous one. The Egyptian thingie was ok.
I just subscribe to his channel to get thumbnails of a game. If I like the look of it, I do a search and take it from there.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
since highfleet is basically one of the best indie games i've played in years, i come to you with sage advice:

don't give into the temptation to use nukes, or mutually assured destruction will happen. if you're lucky, you can intercept and destroy one or two of them before they finally catch up to you and vaporize your entire fleet

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's true, by the way. On Hungarian TV for example you always hear the original faintly in the background. You get used to it...
To be fair, only the low budget documentaries are done like that, film dubbing is done in a professional way, with separate voice tracks.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Today i learned that someone is making russian dubbed versions of Sseth videos.

speak-english-or-die-anniversary-edition-b-iext103516236.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
Dubs are really plebs choice because you effectively delete any value of the original voice acting and any nuances to it. Not to mention the original phrasing - even if you know its language only vaguely it still helps. So "eastern style" VO is slighly better in any case but annoying as fuck. It's possible to get used to, yeah but why'd anyone would do that instead of just use of subs? Beyond me, really. Just... fucking read them if you don't know the language, don't submit yourself to VO crap of any sorts.

Parsifarka

Arcane
So "eastern style" VO is slighly better in any case
It isn't, it's in fact the worst possible choice: it doesn't allow the spectator to enjoy the original performances nor does it provide a pleasant substitution.

Anyone whose only experience is the embarrassing practice of Eastern European countries may not have an accurate view of how dubbing works elsewhere, but it's performed by actual actors, and good ones oftentimes with vast experience in theater and national cinema, carefully selected for each role.
Thus, countries with a dubbing tradition such as Spain produce (or used to) high quality voice acting that can often compete with or even surpass the originals of regular mainstream films -thanks to Francoist politics.

It's naturally a different experience from the original (and anyhow you will never be able to fully have that unless it's the language you were spoken to in the womb) and you aren't going to want such a thing meddling with prestigious cinema, but when it comes to mass entertainment (so that dubbing receives a proper budget) it does add value specially for children who are thus able to enjoy the films in their mother tongue instead of being fully subjected to English colonization from cradle to grave.

Caim

Arcane
Dubs are really plebs choice because you effectively delete any value of the original voice acting and any nuances to it. Not to mention the original phrasing - even if you know its language only vaguely it still helps. So "eastern style" VO is slighly better in any case but annoying as fuck. It's possible to get used to, yeah but why'd anyone would do that instead of just use of subs? Beyond me, really. Just... fucking read them if you don't know the language, don't submit yourself to VO crap of any sorts.
Yeah, Sseth sometimes uses particular turns of phrase or wordplay that is nigh impossible to translate into another language. And YouTube used to have a "submit your own subtitles" feature but that got axed. You'd have to rely on the goodwill of strangers to not have your Russian dub just be Mein Kampf and memes.

Come to think of it, I see this video dubbing on YouTube a lot with Russian. Do so few of them have a working grasp on the English language?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's true, by the way. On Hungarian TV for example you always hear the original faintly in the background. You get used to it...
To be fair, only the low budget documentaries are done like that, film dubbing is done in a professional way, with separate voice tracks.
Yeah, I'm not sure where Jasede got this. Hungarians are foolishly proud of Our Noble Dubbing Tradition, and always have been. This is better than the Polish style (some guy talking over the film in a monotonous voice), but ultimately, it is still something that removes part of the original tone from the work. Since the dubbing pool is kinda small, there are like a few dozen "movie voices", and it flattens things into a homogenous mass.

When I become el Presidente for Life, dubbing will be ceremonially banned.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I don't watch TV much anymore but when I was little they always dubbed people speaking on the news with the original voice in the background. I think my poor alcoholic brain thought that meant we did it like that for every show and movie, which is not true.
I generally get when people get off on hating dubs but man, some countries have actors trained for this purpose for decades. I have seen a few media that were better dubbed than in the original because the actors were more talented. I agree that it is rare.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I'm not sure where Jasede got this. Hungarians are foolishly proud of Our Noble Dubbing Tradition, and always have been. This is better than the Polish style (some guy talking over the film in a monotonous voice), but ultimately, it is still something that removes part of the original tone from the work. Since the dubbing pool is kinda small, there are like a few dozen "movie voices", and it flattens things into a homogenous mass.

When I become el Presidente for Life, dubbing will be ceremonially banned.
Same here. Despite out PROUD DUBBING HERITAGE, I watch movies in their original languages whenever I can. With the exception of some classics I grew up with. (Bud Spencer-Terence Hill movies wink-wink).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I have seen a few media that were better dubbed than in the original because the actors were more talented. I agree that it is rare.
Yeah, some of our hungarian dubs for action stars who cannot act for their life actually have wonderful dubs which make their performances pretty great.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
This stupid video format just makes my head spin with meme images popping in and out in split seconds
And they are hyping games in a similar fashion to kids talking between themselves. yeah buddy it sounds so cool
rating_prosper.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom