Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hot Dragons & Dirty Dungeons for free

Percy

Cipher
Yeah, I guess it should be expected that every second message should be about how to finish certain quests, the basic DnD rules and how to turn your helm off. Oh, also how to shot web came up a number of times. One person asked how to talk to people. Fucks sake.

Point Taken though.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Hey man, my level 5 hirelings had level 3 spells. I thought it was 5.

WE NEED A GUILD NAME YOU JEWS

It is done, pm me, Gragt, Kraze, or Doncalmsnake for an invite.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AND SO IT BEGAN

vr60rs.jpg

The Founding Fathers

All recruits and future newcomers should enlist ASAP

Mystary!

Arcane
Excellent, it will strike fear into the heart of our enemies. Atleast the homophobic ones.

L'ennui

Magister
My roomie has started playing this an hour ago. It has pushed me over the edge of uncertainty. I'm downloading, will become a Butthurt Bro. ASAP.

ALL HAIL THE BROTHERHOOD

We're like Nod, only more butthurt.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well we wanted a name with double entendre after all. My backup name was Disciples of Goa Tse.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Goddamn should've taken that Niac's ice ray spell. Currently would've dealt 5d10 damage which with my charisma will be like 50 every single cast. And with empower it's like 75 goddam.
3 days to next respec :<

14k xp to fireball + maximize (or should I go with empower? Choices & Consequences!)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I left my dwarven barbarian alone and now started playing a cleric/wizards focused on NECROMANCY. Will join the Brotherhood, of course.
Name is Bronko Atzenking.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's surprisingly fun and different from other MMOs.

The main difference for me is the quest system. For those who don't know it:
Unlike in other MMOs, in DDO all quests are instanced missions with their own story and "plot". No "go and kill 10 spiders in the wilds, then come back".
Sometimes, there even are instances within bigger instances. Quite nice ;)

The graphics do their job, nice atmosphere, nice sound.
Also: Spellpoints/MP instead of memorizing spells, which is what it should be anyway ;)

The only thing that bugged me so far is that, once you reach The Harbor, you run around in sewers after sewers after sewers after warehouse after warehouse after sewers... Especially annoying when you try to solo.

Data4

Arcane
thesheeep said:
It's surprisingly fun and different from other MMOs.

The main difference for me is the quest system. For those who don't know it:
Unlike in other MMOs, in DDO all quests are instanced missions with their own story and "plot". No "go and kill 10 spiders in the wilds, then come back".
Sometimes, there even are instances within bigger instances. Quite nice ;)

The graphics do their job, nice atmosphere, nice sound.
Also: Spellpoints/MP instead of memorizing spells, which is what it should be anyway ;)

The only thing that bugged me so far is that, once you reach The Harbor, you run around in sewers after sewers after sewers after warehouse after warehouse after sewers... Especially annoying when you try to solo.

So I hear you can play it solo by hiring henchmen. Is that ridiculously expensive?

Humanophage

Arcane
Well, as a matter of fact, most other MMOs, particularly those modelled after Everquest, have instances with their own plots as well. I tend to view it as a downside, since the players are supposed to affect the world somehow according to the missions, yet every single player on the server is doing the same missions over and over again.

The same village is 'saved' by a thousand players a day from exactly the same threat by exactly the same means, with exactly the same non-existent consequences for the persistent common world. No effort at all is made by the developers for such a situation to make sense. In older games - in Ultima Online, for example, - even the presence of servers was explained in the context of the multiverse. But now they don't even bother to explain how the heck are instances supposed to be interpreted for the world to be plausible.

Instances, i.e. isolated servers reserved for a few people, by definition defeat the purpose of an MMO game, which should have a persistent common world influenced by a massive amount of players. All the benefits that could be derived from such a world are ignored in most games, save for the likes of EVE. They are ignored particularly vehemently in games with a heavy emphasis on instances.

Besides, no one is paying attention to the said plot (possibly because it has no impact on the world), and that's the problem with DDO as well, as it has already been mentioned. It seems like a somewhat less cerebral version of NWN multiplayer with absolutely redundant public areas.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Data4 said:
So I hear you can play it solo by hiring henchmen. Is that ridiculously expensive?

Don't know, I never tried with my barbarian. It is probably needed if you play a wizard or any other class that is "challenging" to solo.

Humanophage said:
Well, as a matter of fact, most other MMOs, particularly those modelled after Everquest, have instances with their own plots as well. I tend to view it as a downside, since the players are supposed to affect the world somehow according to the missions, yet every single player on the server is doing the same missions over and over again.

[...]

Instances, i.e. isolated servers reserved for a few people, by definition defeat the purpose of an MMO game, which should have a persistent common world influenced by a massive amount of players. All the benefits that could be derived from such a world are ignored in most games, save for the likes of EVE. They are ignored particularly vehemently in games with a heavy emphasis on instances.

Besides, no one is paying attention to the said plot (possibly because it has no impact on the world), and that's the problem with DDO as well, as it has already been mentioned. It seems like a somewhat less cerebral version of NWN multiplayer with absolutely redundant public areas.

You take a lot of things for granted and proven, that's the only thing "for sure" in your text...

Yeah, you don't have any influence on the world. So how comes the players don't mind that at all?
Yeah, it's more like a great version of NWN online, but why is that a bad thing?
Of course the plots are not brilliant and nobody is really immersed in this world, but they add to the atmosphere and fun, which is, I guess, their purpose.

Also, there is a huge difference between having instanced quests and consinsting ONLY of instanced quests. Besides, instances I played in games were not that well made with narrators, etc. And I certainly played a lot MMOs... And most became pretty boring after one week ;)
The first thing that comes to mind as comparable would be Guild Wars, but I can't remember if that had only instaces or not.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Sooo... any spare spot for a paladin in the guild? My download is gonna be finished in like 30 mins, will roll a toon soon after.

Humanophage said:

The same village is 'saved' by a thousand players a day from exactly the same threat by exactly the same means, with exactly the same non-existent consequences for the persistent common world. No effort at all is made by the developers for such a situation to make sense. In older games - in Ultima Online, for example, - even the presence of servers was explained in the context of the multiverse. But now they don't even bother to explain how the heck are instances supposed to be interpreted for the world to be plausible.

Its like a haunted house, you know the ghosts aren't going to kill you, but you go with it for fun

non instanced mmos usually put a quest giver NPC somewhere only for it to be surrounded by players selling their stuff; persistent world makes sense if you're walking around town, not if you're trying to tak to someone.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Goddamn should've taken that Niac's ice ray spell. Currently would've dealt 5d10 damage which with my charisma will be like 50 every single cast. And with empower it's like 75 goddam.
3 days to next respec :<

14k xp to fireball + maximize (or should I go with empower? Choices & Consequences!)

I thought respecing was a result of the dumb-downing of games, and that only pussy casual-gaming consoletard ESF faggots needed or wanted that feature?

MetalCraze said:
respec is for fags.

Indeed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wulfstand said:
Sooo... any spare spot for a paladin in the guild?

Why of course we need MORE paladins.

Silellak said:
I thought respecing was a result of the dumb-downing of games, and that only pussy casual-gaming consoletard ESF faggots needed or wanted that feature?
Respec here lets you only exchange one of your spells for some other once in 3 days. Considering that all spells work here not the same way you used to them in DnD such minor thing won't hurt.
But have fun finding something else to nitpick!

@Humanophage:
This is a problem with every game, not just DDO. When you have a bunch of people they will always want more action/less reading - no matter the genre.
There are some missions that make DDO stand out from other western MMOs - like the missions with puzzles and a shitton of traps - and such missions tend to be really hard and unforgiving. Not your standard easy PvE. I play this game mostly because it's more like a coop akshun dungeon crawler, though the MMO part in it hurts at times (like slow XP and redoing the same quests again)

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Hey, somebody in the guild send an invite to Rigor Goldhammer, I just hit stormwhatever and I am level 2. IM a dwarf cleric, focusing on healing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom