Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Tigranes

Arcane
I meant that if you spend hours digesting all the pre-release info, sure you'll know a lot, but if you just skim some DDs or something, then it's more like "oh man a cool mix of EU/CK/Rome but oh man there's some worrying shit like mana spam"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I meant that if you spend hours digesting all the pre-release info, sure you'll know a lot, but if you just skim some DDs or something, then it's more like "oh man a cool mix of EU/CK/Rome but oh man there's some worrying shit like mana spam"
Why the fuck would you waste your time reading that PR shit???? 10-15 minutes of gameplay will tell you everything you need to know about the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Took me less time. I generally don't like watching dev streams or shit, I'm not on Twitter, etc. If it's a game I have no idea about I'll glance at somebody's gameplay video on mute. With Paradox, I mean we already know 80% of the game just by virtue of it being Paradox. I figured I'd wait for actual post-release impressions about how the mechanics play out over sustained play. No rush.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Took me less time. I generally don't like watching dev streams or shit, I'm not on Twitter, etc. If it's a game I have no idea about I'll glance at somebody's gameplay video on mute. With Paradox, I mean we already know 80% of the game just by virtue of it being Paradox. I figured I'd wait for actual post-release impressions about how the mechanics play out over sustained play. No rush.
I watch a some gameplay like dev clash or florry when i have a meal. I too don't watch dev streams and pr shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
hotfix soon, and then 1.1:

• Balancing of Technology Progress, Mercenaries, Shattered Retreat, Truce Breaking, Assassinations, Governors, War Exhaustion, and Legitimacy.
  • Improving the mechanics for Population Growth, Stability, and Barbarians.
  • Tweaks to Civil War mechanics, with new power-base mechanics.
  • Naval rework, with Naval Combat mechanics and multiple ship types, as well as navigable major rivers.
  • Deeper Holding mechanics for characters, where you can give characters holdings and they can purchase new ones as they grow in wealth.
  • More character interactions.
  • New Piracy mechanics.
  • Redesigning of functionality where instead of spending power for an instant result, you now spend power to nudge it towards that result over time.
  • Better abilities to play tall, including centralising trade, impacting specific cities, etc.
  • Tribes being able to decide what units their retinues should have.
  • Dual Ruler mechanics for Roman Republic, and Consorts for Monarchies.
  • Government Abilities for all government categories.
  • ‘Quality of Life’ features like viewing all characters in a foreign country, new alerts, road building being a continuous action, and more.
  • Adding of features from previous PDS games like moving capitals and regnal numbers on monarchs
    Much more modding support.

Also if I knew the corruption mechanics were so broken I wouldn't have ever said what I said about game duration then. So clearly all the streamers are playing too passive because they assume Aggressive Expansion and Corruption are bad things but really they are inconsequential. Oof.

Well AE is completely awful shit above 50. But it decays percentage-wise, so while in the appeasing stance no matter how high your AE gets from one war, it will probably be down to 50ish in about 15 year or so (enough for the truce to run out and you to re-war). Furthermore since there's no cap on power you just stockpile it while above AE, spend it all the instant you drop below 50 (= no power penalty), then immediately start a new war and quickly get 100+ AE again.

Corruption is fairly consequential if you don't have that oratory idea and need to spam bribes to keep people happy (which is fairly necesary in large empires at times), but some governments don't have that idea slot so they just have to suck it up.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Watching any video is waste of time. Any summary?

TLDR: Game is shit, its a hollow shell of badly implemented features ripped from previous games. But Paradox are "happy" with it and cite the classic BS argument "all games release with issues, it will all be fixed with patches and DLC, we have a roadmap! You should be happy to pay us your money for years to come you stupid ungrateful plebs."

He has a good point that the "DLC will make it better" argument was kind of ok years ago when ck2 and eu4 released. But now that doesnt fly anymore, they have had years of experience crating these systems and I:R is a disgrace to release in this state. Its good to see someone saying this as most of the Youtube shill "influencers" are peddling the same BS as Paradox.

Watching any video is waste of time. Any summary?

TLDR: Game is shit, its a hollow shell of badly implemented features ripped from previous games. But Paradox are "happy" with it and cite the classic BS argument "all games release with issues, it will all be fixed with patches and DLC, we have a roadmap! You should be happy to pay us your money for years to come you stupid ungrateful plebs."

He has a good point that the "DLC will make it better" argument was kind of ok years ago when ck2 and eu4 released. But now that doesnt fly anymore, they have had years of experience crating these systems and I:R is a disgrace to release in this state. Its good to see someone saying this as most of the Youtube shill "influencers" are peddling the same BS as Paradox.

Do you watch Isorrowproductions? He primarily does videos on Paradox games and he didn't like it at all.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game will never be fixed, at its best it will be another EU. Because the core features and foundations are all wrong even if they keep adding content and minute mechanics for 5 years. It would need total overhaul to be even remotely interesting or playable.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
ISP had the exact same reaction to the game I had when I started it up, even in the right order. Nice map, weird UI, combat feels weird, nothing to do, AI doesn't do anything either.

e: Watch Paradox implement defensive pacts a la CK2 to discourage no-CB high-AE blobbing. Just watch 'em do it. Calling it now.

mondblut

Arcane
Even fabricating claims is dumb at this time period. Yeah right I am sure Caesar fabricated claims against Gauls when he took it.

Well, I suppose he did have to convince the Senate to give him money and legions by claiming some kind of WMD there or something.

But I fail to see what kind of excuse a chief of Snownigerians would need before invading their neighbors the Savagestupidians to steal their men, kill their women and rape their cattle. "Boohoo, revered elders, they have stuff!" works fine enough.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They could rename the CB mechanic to something like "Prepare Conquest" and it'd make more logical sense. Even snownigger chieftains needed to gather men and equipment before niggering away. The mana cost should be more dynamic, too, so tribes might use Red Mana to do it while theocracies need Yellow Mana and republics need Blue Mana. (Oh god what am I saying...)

FreeKaner

Even fabricating claims is dumb at this time period. Yeah right I am sure Caesar fabricated claims against Gauls when he took it.

Yes if by this you mean that what Ceasar did to justify his operations to the Senate and to gain legitimacy among the Gauls themselves was a lot more complex and elaborate.

The claim fabrication works as a diplomatic relation, not an internal justification.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Executing an unpopular traitor with approval from the Senate still gives you +5 tyranny...
honkhonk.png

FreeKaner

Basically this game should have been all about jockeying different factions in the state, trying to gain favour of army, the fractured nature of government, the struggle between instutions and privileged groups etc. but instead it is essentially map painting with magic, spending mana to do the things that should have been focus instantly instead.

This is a problem in EU4 as well. Maybe even more so because that time period is all about formation of state under a central bureaucracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom