Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Khor1255

Arcane
Dev Diary 2 - Legacy and Writing
Legacy and Writing

Hey everyone, my name is Ian Currie and I’m happy to welcome you to another Jagged Alliance 3 DevDiary. I am one of the original creators of the Jagged Alliance series and have been working with THQ Nordic and Haemimont on Jagged Alliance 3 for a couple of years now. I’m excited to share some of my thoughts with you!

The original Jagged Alliance games

Jagged Alliance dates back to the latter half of the 1990s where the first game was released somewhat under the radar but was considered a critical success. It was quite ambitious—a strategy game with tactical combat, a large cast of colorful characters, role-playing elements, and a storyline with multiple outcomes. It was unique in allowing players to form a party of characters but using pre-existing individuals who had distinct personalities who had both strengths and weaknesses. It was further unique in that these individuals didn’t always get along with each other and could sometimes, to the surprise of players, act out. Like a lot of entertainment, it also sprinkled in a good dose of humor.

229493809_6-questsandquirkyNPCs.thumb.jpg.d6c8b2cdfdf6200cb4d470bbc3dacc93.jpg

While it was followed by a small mission-based sequel that introduced multi-player gameplay (titled ‘Deadly Games’), the original game was preferred for its more open-world feel. This, along with many other aspects, was expanded upon in what became a more appropriate sequel to Jagged Alliance.

And that brings me to Jagged Alliance 2, which was certainly one of the most ambitious projects I’ve ever worked on and a true labor of love for myself and the team that developed it. It expanded upon the first Jagged Alliance in almost every aspect. Players could employ multiple squads and create their own merc, experience side-quests along with a variable storyline, taunt the main antagonist by sending them flowers.
They generally experienced a game that played out differently each time, including more in-depth tactical combat and many easter eggs that we delighted in creating. Many of the characters that players grew to love from the previous games returned along with many new characters. One of the goals of the Jagged Alliance series was to create tension between the attachment to characters and the need to acquire more skilled team members.

hiring.png.b221da032f2bd079ef02f92f9e7b3b03.png

While Jagged Alliance 2 was very successful, the owners of the development studio decided to focus on other business opportunities and the studio closed down. The intellectual property was sold and my teammates and I all moved on to other gaming studios.

Jagged Alliance 3

A couple of years ago I was contacted by THQ Nordic to see if I’d be interested in helping a team of developers to create a new Jagged Alliance game. I was initially skeptical as there had been some Jagged Alliance games released over the years and none of them impressed me. Making something I could call a ‘true’ Jagged Alliance game would be a complex and daunting task. THQ Nordic assured me that they were going to take their time and ‘do it right’. I was told that they were boldly calling it Jagged Alliance 3 as it is intended to be the true spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance 2.

To be honest, while I loved the idea of working on a ‘true’ Jagged Alliance game, I didn’t want to let myself get too excited. It wasn’t until THQ Nordic showed me an early prototype and I read the design documentation that I allowed myself to become somewhat optimistic. Then I met with the design and production team and was impressed. OK, I was interested; what did they need me to help with?

The answer was creative writing: the story, the quests, the characters, the mercs, the dialog etc. While I had certainly contributed to the writing, the person who really owned all that work on Jagged Alliance was my partner and good friend, Shaun Lyng, who was no longer available. Hmmm, could I do it? I decided to reach out to a former colleague, Dan McClure, who is a game industry veteran and published author. Luckily, Dan agreed to sign on and the two of us became very good partners.

1050631165_2-hiddenperkchecks.thumb.jpg.3377bab86b9be95702abd92ba3b7b6ce.jpg

Working with Haemimont Games

We quickly got to know the developers at Haemimont Games and started working with them on the story and timeline for the game. It was so much fun! It wasn’t long until we were throwing around ideas for quests, discussing which mercs would be ‘back’ and of course, the new mercs – which is always exciting. Many of these personalities are like old friends that I’ve truly missed.

1185440268_5-merconeliners.thumb.jpg.e8425768ce565347d11772bedffe2ac1.jpg

One of my favorite features of the game is the conversation system – the part of the game that allows players to interact with various NPCs (non-player characters) in the world. In Jagged Alliance 2, this feature was very limited – you could only choose a general ‘approach’ (e.g. friendly, direct, threatening).
Jagged Alliance 3 introduces a robust conversation system that allows for a much more engaging role-playing experience and will often include participation from some of your mercs. This can range from simple comments to more helpful observations and plays out differently depending on the situation, adding to the game’s replay-ability. We iterated on the design until we were all happy with it and seeing it all come together was immensely satisfying. I’m very proud of what we’ve done here as it allows for so much more interaction between the player, the NPCs and the mercs, and allows us to tell a much deeper story than in any previous Jagged Alliance game.

2080646359_1-conversationstructure.thumb.jpg.2ec482f8819e13f994623061baaf29b3.jpg

Working with Haemimont has been very rewarding. They’re not only a team that has worked together for a long time, but their expertise is evident in everything they do. Watching the game take shape over the past couple of years has been amazing.
Graphically there is so much detail in the game, from how all the mercs in the game have custom avatars, to the carefully crafted environments and of course the combat system is equally rich and rewarding. Jagged Alliance 3 truly is bigger and better. Sometimes it’s just so hard to believe that after all this time, I’m working on another Jagged Alliance game. I consider myself very lucky and can’t wait for you to experience the game.

Thanks for reading!
OK, now I'm getting kind of excited.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never got into JA series (Russian 7.62 knockoff was more appealing) but I do know that the unique characters and 'conflicts', etc seems to be a big selling point to the game. How does that work out besides nostalgia?

IIRC M&B original/Warband used a companion system that was 'inspired' by JA and it was basically dropped or nerfed into irrelevance in the newest Bannerlord because it was just annoying. You could either experiment yourself and hire companions that you'd have to drop because they'd hate each other no matter what after a time, or you'd get the dudes doing charts online who'd map out the relationships and you would know from the start what companion team you could build to keep the relationship equilibrium from breaking your group, thus allowing you to ignore the relationship mechanism for companions.

Lots of "ooh, we burned a village? I hate when we burn a village, -2 loyalty" and "Ah, I like when we win battles, check out my deep personality, +2 loyalty" filler didn't make it a must have in that game.

The only interesting part was going to places on the world map that triggered memories (this is where I was sold into slavery, here is where my family was butchered, etc).
I mean, if you want a wargame where you optimize a spreadsheet and do nothing else, OK, that's valid, go play a wargame.

Jagged Alliance series has game mechanics that aren't spelled out for you on the character sheet, personalities with measurable consequences that have to be learned through experience. Yes, this can lead to unexpected setbacks. That's the point, and it's amazing for those of us who like to see actual characters rise above the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Khor1255

Arcane
I never got into JA series (Russian 7.62 knockoff was more appealing) but I do know that the unique characters and 'conflicts', etc seems to be a big selling point to the game. How does that work out besides nostalgia?

IIRC M&B original/Warband used a companion system that was 'inspired' by JA and it was basically dropped or nerfed into irrelevance in the newest Bannerlord because it was just annoying. You could either experiment yourself and hire companions that you'd have to drop because they'd hate each other no matter what after a time, or you'd get the dudes doing charts online who'd map out the relationships and you would know from the start what companion team you could build to keep the relationship equilibrium from breaking your group, thus allowing you to ignore the relationship mechanism for companions.

Lots of "ooh, we burned a village? I hate when we burn a village, -2 loyalty" and "Ah, I like when we win battles, check out my deep personality, +2 loyalty" filler didn't make it a must have in that game.

The only interesting part was going to places on the world map that triggered memories (this is where I was sold into slavery, here is where my family was butchered, etc).
I mean, if you want a wargame where you optimize a spreadsheet and do nothing else, OK, that's valid, go play a wargame.

Jagged Alliance series has game mechanics that aren't spelled out for you on the character sheet, personalities with measurable consequences that have to be learned through experience. Yes, this can lead to unexpected setbacks. That's the point, and it's amazing for those of us who like to see actual characters rise above the spreadsheet.
It also really adds to replayability. But I think an improvement on this would be the possibility for new antagonisms to arise or existing ones possibly subside in some cases. It wouldn't apply to all characters but if you could have developing and eroding relationships that would be really cool.

Victor1234

Educated

It also really adds to replayability. But I think an improvement on this would be the possibility for new antagonisms to arise or existing ones possibly subside in some cases. It wouldn't apply to all characters but if you could have developing and eroding relationships that would be really cool.
Does anything actually happen in JA beyond what I gave as examples? A always hates B but likes C, A hates action X but likes action Y? I was hoping to get some concrete examples because "personalities with measurable consequences that have to be learned through experience" could be something mind blowing or this terribly bland mechanic from Mount and Blade that gets dropped in the sequel (Artimenner doesn't like Jeremus, no matter what happens...)

mbww-05.jpg

Last edited:

Khor1255

Arcane

Does anything actually happen in JA beyond what I gave as examples? A always hates B but likes C, A hates action X but likes action Y? I was hoping to get some concrete examples because "personalities with measurable consequences that have to be learned through experience" could be something mind blowing or this terribly bland mechanic from Mount and Blade that gets dropped in the sequel (Artimenner doesn't like Jeremus, no matter what happens...)

mbww-05.jpg
If you mean in the newer (Ja3) game I have no idea. But in Ja2 it results in their morale sometimes plummeting (which has 'real' gameworld consequences) and they even at times attack each other or quite because you hired someone they hate.

Asdow

Educated

Some mercs refuse to get hired if you have a merc they hate on your payroll. Complain if you do manage to hire them and they then find out.
In JA 1 or Deadly Games (can't remember which), Skitz (A specific merc) would murder Sparky because her voice irritated him.

Victor1234

Educated

Some mercs refuse to get hired if you have a merc they hate on your payroll. Complain if you do manage to hire them and they then find out.
In JA 1, Skitz (A specific merc) would murder Sparky because her voice irritated him.

Thanks guys! Sounds like M&B then, with the interesting addition of attacking each other if things get bad enough. Weird how what was a staple of one game became so forgettable in another one. It probably didn't help they dropped their own lore/companions for a whole new set with each expansion in M&B. I guess the dialogue in JA was probably also way better, to make it memorable. In M&B this is what this whole mechanic turned into before being dropped:

MB_Companions.png

zqv2ogu79jx31.png

Khor1255

Arcane
The dialog is downright funny in a lot of Ja2. A movie made from this game would write itself.

Khor1255

Arcane
Thanks guys! Sounds like M&B then
There is WAY more than that in JA series, and no, I'm not going to make a list so you can optimize your spreadsheet. Play without spoilers, it's good and good for you.
I would add

START WITH VANILLA

The 1.13 is good for what it is (mostly gun/item porn) but the balance and a few other things are severely borked and it's much more of a chore to play.

Victor1234

Educated
Thanks guys! Sounds like M&B then
There is WAY more than that in JA series, and no, I'm not going to make a list so you can optimize your spreadsheet. Play without spoilers, it's good and good for you.
I would add

START WITH VANILLA

The 1.13 is good for what it is (mostly gun/item porn) but the balance and a few other things are severely borked and it's much more of a chore to play.
I ended up finding a fan website that pulls back the curtain to show the JA 2 code and a fanmade relationship chart from 2011, so I've got everything I wanted.

http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218328/"How does it work" Part 9: Relationships
http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?&t=msg&th=17923

I already play 7.62 (Russian JA clone) like I said, so I was just curious about what the JA fans see in the merc relationships, which 7.62 didn't bother copying, because from the outside it doesn't look very dynamic or interesting. From the inside, it still doesn't look very dynamic, and the reaction to game world events is actually less granular than M&B, which did copy the system, which is surprising until we consider M&B released 9 years later.

Guess the JA mercs really were super well written to be so memorable. From 7.62 the only one I could name off the top of my head besides Ivan the starting character I always pick, is some Canadian merc whose merc name was 'Beaver'. :lol:

You want to talk about gun porn? 7.62 has +800 guns in +35 calibres, with varying ammo quality depending on whether it's crafted, local or imported.

I'll definitely try JA 3 though because Apeiron Games is bust and won't be doing any more JA clones.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mbww-05.jpg
That mechanic doesn't mean squat because you can tell them to shut up and they do.

Krivol

Magister
It really looks a lot like nuXcom to me, with claustrophobic maps and 'there are 3 ways to get into the goal' rather than 'map is open for you, do whatever you want'. Still, the strategic layer looks good. I will keep my eye on it, but with a great amount of suspicion.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

mbww-05.jpg
That mechanic doesn't mean squat because you can tell them to shut up and they do.
Nope, That just makes both of them unhappy. Picking sides in these disputes lets you keep one companion content.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mbww-05.jpg
Nope, That just makes both of them unhappy. Picking sides in these disputes lets you keep one companion content.
Really? They never did bug me after that so I guess they were happy with my style of leadership, happy with my choice of companions and happy with the general state of affairs.

1fGzl.png

lol, who does this?

:lol:
I don't know, but what a great thing it is. Now there's no need anymore to play the game to know what it's like, they can just look at this. What a timesaver!
lol..exactly..I don't get it..take all that time to destroy the mystery and fun of the game, then complain about how the game sucks: "well ackchyually the interactions are really simple and not all that interesting or deep, look I mapped them out..."...yes, games have limits to them, maybe someday there will be some gaming AI like ChatGPT meant to constantly create endless new realistic and fitting responses and interactions to games, but a game from late 1990's does not have that, nor will any game in the next 5 years at least I am guessing. Would be cool if it existed, I imagine it could someday be a thing....could be a good business idea..create a ChatGPT but tailored to various types of games, like fantasy RPG, Western etc...then there would probably be a way to get it to fill in more specific things like peoples or places names by using programming..but I am not a programmer so have no idea about any of this, just talking off top of my head.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Really? They never did bug me after that so I guess they were happy with my style of leadership, happy with my choice of companions and happy with the general state of affairs.
You can get away with a bit of grumbling among companions if there's something else making them happy to compensate, like having another companion they like in the party. Evey companion dislikes 2 other people but only likes one, so if you try to have every single companion in the party at once they will alll slowly become more and more unhappy untill people start leaving and the situation stabilizes.

Papill0n

Educated
It really looks a lot like nuXcom to me, with claustrophobic maps and 'there are 3 ways to get into the goal' rather than 'map is open for you, do whatever you want'. Still, the strategic layer looks good. I will keep my eye on it, but with a great amount of suspicion.

yes. The product, or at least its PR seems to be improving but the scale of tactical maps, the Nuxcom look and the shit animations are still putting me off compared to Ja2.

Also i'm worried about the new dialogue system they are blabbering about that looks like a gazillion cringeworthy shit dialoge lines are being written for every NPC interaction choice. Mulitply that wth 40plus playable characters and you get a massive cringe overflow. Ja2's dialogoe, or rather, monologue, system spared us shit tons of such cringy dialoge options typcial for all those piss-ass-poorly written rpgs.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
yes. The product, or at least its PR seems to be improving but the scale of tactical maps, the Nuxcom look and the shit animations are still putting me off compared to Ja2.
Agreed, even in the few snippets of organic gameplay there's a lot of stuttering, stop-and-starts and awkward walks. Here & Here in particular, hoping they've got more than a few animation refinements in their development pipeline. Also hope they don't do the XCOM thing of having soldiers artfully raise their gun, take aim, brace for recoil, fire a volley and than dramatically lower their weapon in a series of cinematic cuts that lasts for over 5 seconds.

Also i'm worried about the new dialogue system they are blabbering about that looks like a gazillion cringeworthy shit dialoge lines are being written for every NPC interaction choice. Mulitply that wth 40plus playable characters and you get a massive cringe overflow. Ja2's dialogoe, or rather, monologue, system spared us shit tons of such cringy dialoge options typcial for all those piss-ass-poorly written rpgs.
Fully expect this game to suffer from over-spending on getting voice-over for everything, particularly in the final amount of mercs there'll end up being. But if it's a choice between exaggerated stereotypes and characterless manikins, then I choose the former.

Besides, it's not like cringy, overacted dialogue has never been in one of the good Jagged Alliance games before. It's part of the charm.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Ian Currie Wants You To Know That This Game Will Have Standards
Recently Ian Currie had a brief interview about Jagged Alliance 3 with the German-speaking outlet Gamestar.de and we thought you guys would be very interested in what was asked and more importantly what he said..

Your official title is writer, but what’s your exact part in the team?

My role was to help ensure that the writing was high quality, both creatively and technically. This meant reviewing all the writing done by others and of course, producing a lot of new text (which included everything from dialogue to non-spoken text). Part of the role was to ensure consistency regarding grammar, culture, etc., but also with the JA franchise in general. In a nutshell, my job was to make certain that the writing was of the quality that fans of JA would expect. Working with the team, I also gave feedback on many things that weren’t writing related, but I think that’s just part of being a game developer.

The last installment of Jagged 2 is over two decades old, so a big part of today’s strategy gamers didn’t play it, or even don’t know it. As a writer, how do you reconcile these JA rookies and the veterans?

Well, that task goes beyond just the writing of course, but I think from a writing perspective you want to be able to reward veteran players without confusing new players. An analogy might be how Pixar can make very entertaining movies that include humor only adults will understand without diminishing the entertainment value for younger viewers. So perhaps we might reference something that only players familiar with JA2 may pick up on, but do it in a way that still works fine for new players.

JA2 offers dozens of mercs who are way more than just characters with certain skills shown in numbers: everyone has a background, strengths and weaknesses, is commenting what’s going on. How do you develop the old mercs further in JA3, and how do you bring new characters like Livewire to life?

Well of course that was one of the main goals of the JA franchise: to create interesting (and hopefully memorable) characters. To accomplish this in a strategy game setting was an interesting challenge and in order to make 40 different mercenaries unique we leaned on ethnicities, attitudes, interesting backgrounds, accents and of course good voice acting.

With each new installment in the franchise one of the challenges is keeping it feeling fresh. From a character perspective this involves balancing the addition of new mercs with old favorites. As designers we can also try to imagine how some of the returning characters might have evolved.

You must build a squad of six JA2-mercs. Budget doesn’t matter. Whom do you choose, and why?

Hmm, let’s see. I’d probably go with Scope & Reaper for their magnificent marksmanship and attitude. Nails for his explosive ability while still being strong in other areas. Vicki is my go to mechanic. Dr. Q is a great medic and Gus as a tremendous well rounded, very experienced who can serve as a second medic.

At the end of the great Legacy Trailer you say there are some things you wish you could have done in Jagged Alliance 2, and now you can do them in JA3. Can you give us two or three examples?

The first things that come to mind would be anything that helps convey the merc’s personalities. The more they come across like real individuals, the more attached the player is to them and that has multiple benefits. In JA3 mercs have a lot more opportunities to speak and react to things, which is one of the ways we learn people’s personalities in real life. Some of these opportunities include conversations with NPCs but there are times when they might just chat with each other – make small talk, etc.

Another thing that comes to mind is the depiction of the characters while in the sectors (e.g. exploration and combat). Instead of a simplistic and vague figurine, the mercs have all been uniquely modelled. The team has done an excellent job with this.
In other news, rumors based on blurry desktop screengrabs say this game will have Mod Support in some form.
Evidence.png
Continue, New Game, Multiplayer, Load Game, Options, Credits, Mod Manager, Quit.
This is from the screen that was behind Ian in their legacy vid btw, not just another shop-job.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 is the only game I ever preordered.
Still remember how excite I was at work on the day it arrived and couldn't wait to play it.
I hope this turns out good, if only I could be as I was, naive and full of optimism.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 is the only game I ever preordered.
Still remember how excite I was at work on the day it arrived and couldn't wait to play it.
I hope this turns out good, if only I could be as I was, naive and full of optimism.
I think you have too high expectations. I have little just like I had with PP and I am hard to disappoint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom