Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I can see this is definitely a nuXcom version of JA2. You can teleport items between party members during combat (for AP cost) and soldiers have perks and free movement abilities and all other things you expect from a modern Xcom game.
Missing from short range is common while melee seems more effective than using guns.
It will probably still be a fun game but this is not a true successor to JA2. They basically gave up on simulation.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
>A game set in 2001

>Everyone is properly indexing on their guns

Literally unplayable.

m_s0

Arcane
https://www.twitch.tv/dastactic doing a early run of it and explaining stuff. Also Ivan Dolvich finally got a pay raise :laught:
View attachment 38697
Wtf I like 2d fox more
Abandoning the portrait style from what it's been refined into for JA2 is a mistake. Just doesn't look right if you've spent decades with some of those characters, and I don't anticipate many converts this'd need to appeal to. Will take a lot of getting used to.
eiNN65A.jpg

Fuck yeah, gimme that modernized jagged alliance tactical depth, baby! Ahahaha
:d1p:
It's like they're sitting on a fence and enjoying the barbed wire instead of picking a damn side to get off on. How's hitting a different body part confusing? If you have indicators telling the players they missed (I can't see any other reason) - maybe, but then you should lose the miss indicators, not compound this stupidity. No damage = obvious miss, and if the player cannot grasp the idea of aiming and failing to hit the exact point they aimed at... they're probably incapable of playing your tactical game to begin with. Who was doing QA for them and flagged this?

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The game seems to be doing surprisingly well on the steam global best seller list today. 11th from the top, 6 spots below Baldur's Gate 3, and 5 below Elden Ring.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Looks like it'll be okay, which is more than you'd expect. Other than that, Sir-Tech is long dead, no point in expecting continuity in design. We don't really need more whining about Firaxis X-Com. It's just property salvaging, but it seems like there was some energy but into it this time. I don't exactly know how the franchise survived so long, it's not like it's that well-known outside of the tactical crowd.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Interesting video for anyone chomping at the bit and wants a more un-diluted look at the game in action.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is there a non-zero chance this game will be decent and not like those other JA revivals?
Depends on how much you want it to play like JA2. If you want it to be as close as possible this is not going to make you happy. This is something in between JA2 and JA:Rage.

Vatnik Wumao
Wonder how much narrative C&C there will be, particularly in regards to the ending ("decide the fate of Grand Chien in an open RPG structure"). But in any case, aesthetics (incl. merc designs) seem on point so that's satisfactory enough for the storyfag in me.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Mack from Worth a Buy gives it a glowing recommendation:

He got much softer after he got sponsorship.
Also the headshots are not lethal against unhelmeted targets. That's decline.
There is some kind of pod system where all enemies on the map aren't alerted, seen here, look at the enemy at the top/north after ivan kills the enemy, they are not engaged in a fight[unaware], so you only fight a handful of enemies at the map at the same time, while the rest are in pretty much relaxed state. Maybe it depends on some radius or turn delay, but its hard to believe a 90s militia wouldn't have at least cheap radios.
https://youtu.be/GddMTHg4yyc?t=1159

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Still on the fence for this. On one side it will probably be a decent game overall, but each time I hear about enemies tanking headshots it really puts me off.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Still on the fence for this. On one side it will probably be a decent game overall, but each time I hear about enemies tanking headshots really puts me off.
It's not like enemies in JA2 couldn't tank headshots as well. Even in vanilla elite enemies with spectra helmets could withstand a headshot from an assault rifle.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Still on the fence for this. On one side it will probably be a decent game overall, but each time I hear about enemies tanking headshots really puts me off.
It's not like enemies in JA2 couldn't tank headshots as well. Even in vanilla elite enemies with spectra helmets could withstand a headshot from an assault rifle.

But could they wearing nothing but bandana?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From what I've seen and read this looks like a solid basis for modders to mold this into an actual good game. Which is way more than I hoped for tbh.

Will sit on it for a few months.

Beowulf

Arcane

But could they wearing nothing but bandana?

Not sure really, but I think characters could survive a headshot from some small pistol (loosing Wis in the process, if I remember correctly). One of the reasons to use HP ammo was to increase damage on unarmored enemies. Haven't played JA3 so I don't know how big the issue is. If it's common, then yeah, one more stone to the decline pile. But one guy surviving from time to time is not that immersion breaking.

Thorgeim

Educated
if the core/engine is good i still have some hopes for modding, assume it will be easy to change things like range, dmg, etc.

If its better than nu xcom but not as good as JA2 on release I think we can be glad (in todays world)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom