Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Readher

Savant
Historical low price right now:
https://www.allyouplay.com/jagged-alliance-3
With code ALLYOUCANPLAY (additional -10%)

Used to play a fuckton of JA2 when I was a kid and despite all the problems enjoyed BiA, so I'm going to cave in and buy this today. The mod tools announcement bought me in, since at worst we should have a modern platform for a 1.13 successor.
No, historical low price starts after release
It starts the moment game goes up for sale.

https://gg.deals/game/jagged-alliance-3/

ArchAngel

Arcane

Used to play a fuckton of JA2 when I was a kid and despite all the problems enjoyed BiA, so I'm going to cave in and buy this today. The mod tools announcement bought me in, since at worst we should have a modern platform for a 1.13 successor.

No, I am pretty sure it starts at release (or soon after): https://torrentgalaxy.to/torrents.php?parent_cat=Games#results

Readher

Savant

No, I am pretty sure it starts at release (or soon after): https://torrentgalaxy.to/torrents.php?parent_cat=Games#results
Pirating as an adult in 2023 is kinda cringe unless you're from a total third-world shithole, or it's overpriced AAA rehash (which usually has Denuvo anyway). Either the game is good and you buy it, or it's bad, and you don't waste time on it. That's my take on it, anyway.

Black

Arcane
Reviews when?
Really hoping to see some soon, it's just three days left to grab it with the nice discount. I mean even seeing a couple of these dumb journos bitch about the game being too difficult would be enough to make me buy it :negative:
It's odd, because we have the one review out in the wild... sort of, so even if there was an embargo surely it'd mean nothing at this point? The 'someone broke it, so might as well run ours as well' type of deal?

So, is this a global exclusive for that one outlet, and there still is an embargo in place (which this close to release never makes anything look good), or does no one care to review it after the previews released a couple of months back? Even in July? Jagged Alliance is pretty much the one niche game you don't want to keep people in the dark about prior to release, unless your intent is to swindle everyone. Again.

I expect the game to be competent at the least, but all of the devs' previous games were the definition of soulless. Hopefully Currie writing can help stem some of the ESL stodginess
Based on the samples we got it's safe to assume we're not getting any of this magic back:

NeDMeQd.jpg

Which in itself is a tragedy.
cb9MWBX.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

Pirating as an adult in 2023 is kinda cringe unless you're from a total third-world shithole, or it's overpriced AAA rehash (which usually has Denuvo anyway). Either the game is good and you buy it, or it's bad, and you don't waste time on it. That's my take on it, anyway.
You guessed it. Funny thing it is in EU but still third world shithole. We got prices like Germany but only half the paycheck per month.. fun life.. If games cost on Steam and GoG like they did for countries like Russia I would not feel bad buying luxury items like games instead of things I need for life.

Readher

Savant
You guessed it. Funny thing it is in EU but still third world shithole. We got prices like Germany but only half the paycheck per month.. fun life.. If games cost on Steam and GoG like they did for countries like Russia I would not feel bad buying luxury items like games instead of things I need for life.
It's not much different here in Poland, though there are worse places in the EU for sure (e.g. Romania or Bulgaria).

Modron

Arcane
Preordering with the 20% discount makes more sense than any day0 to whenever they discount it again purchase. You can still refund it in the first two weeks if you don't like the kodex kritical konsensus, reviews, and/or your demoing.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
$28 on greenman. Glad I held out for that increased discount. Friday gon be fun, boys.

Thorgeim

Educated
This is going to be interesting... by the looks it seems a bit more gamey than Id prefer, the burst dmg reduction is not great but probably could live with due to balance. Although they could just make it cost more and reduce accuracy after initial shot of the burst. But the comment about the acc being flat and not per bullet shows simplified ballistics. Thats more concerning to me. The engagement ranges are short but could be fine once you start playing. Cant remember how penetration of materials work, if you can easily destroy cover or if each material has a different penetration value or if there is none, cba to rewatch videos now. I guess I couldnt expect a tactical simulation nowadays. But hopefully it wont be annoyingly gamified :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Piracy is a sacred duty that contributes to game preservation in a time when it's more at risk than at any other time in history, due to digital-only releases and terrible DRM schemes.

No, I don't pirate games, I buy them. But I do download cracks for my legally purchased games just in case, and I wholeheartedly support pirate sites that preserve DRM and storefront locked games for posterity.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Opencritic.

Four reviews. Unscored, 9/10, 9/10, 6.5/10. Butthurt over writing and tone.

Shacknews:
I had my doubts about if Jagged Alliance 3 could really tap the joy I felt in commanding mercenaries back in Jagged Alliance 2. This is a series that predates most tactical strategy we know, but it’s had some bumps along the road. Jagged Alliance 3 can’t be counted among those bumps. It’s a proficient and beautiful return to form for this franchise with a wealth of options inside and outside combat. It’s also a tough game to overcome, but with all of the options at your disposal, finding your path through the breathtaking landscapes of Grand Chien should be an exciting and varied blast every time. I’ll have a hard time putting anything else in the strategy category above this when the year ends.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun:
And this is why I'll be playing it more: the combat, the heart of it, is really damn good. Shootouts are varied and chaotic, the tactical challenge real enough that I've never felt like I lost by chance, but because I didn't bring enough dudes, or put too much pressure on one key merc, or didn't cover someone's position properly. I replayed a couple of shootouts just for the fun of it and to experiment. I'm enjoying it! Where XCOM bored me senseless, and succeeding in Phoenix Point made me feel more spiteful than triumphant, I love every win, and a hell of a lot of the individual moments where Ivan zaps two dudes in a turn, Vicky flanks a sucker, or Ice utterly baguettes a dude with his machete.

I think it's a success. It's a strong push to move the genre beyond the model we've been stagnating in for years that still acknowledges the strengths of that design (so far that it copies some things I wish it wouldn't, like the godawful panic system). It will be divisive for that, and may alienate the most obdurate of the purists too, neither of which it really deserves. Tonally, it's mostly a miss, and aspects of its UI like travel, merc selection, transferring, and splitting inventory need another quality-of-life pass. But the combat / strategy / management elements are enough to carry it through those disappointments, and I suspect to keep me coming back for quite some time.

GameGrin:
Jagged Alliance 3 is a bold attempt at blending the best of multiple genres. Despite success in several areas, its overbearing systems often sideline the enjoyment of an otherwise well-made game.

Try Hard Guides:
The Final Word
Jagged Alliance 3 takes a familiar yet improved-upon turn-based experience, a unique resource management system, 4x-Lite strategy and a satirical setting bursting with character and tosses them all together. While the turn-based combat isn’t going to be everyone’s favorite aspect of the game, it is easy to say that Jagged Alliance 3 hits way more than it misses and offers plenty more for players to enjoy.

PCGamer:
While the battlefields are gorgeous and each merc has a distinct character model (unaffected by armor worn), there's a few areas where it's clear that this isn't a mega-budget production. Character animations can be a little stiff (especially knockdown animations from shotguns and explosives), and gore effects look a bit cheap, with blood looking more like someone spray-painted wounded characters bright red. It's nitpicking, but other recent games have done better.

Those flaws take some luster off this otherwise excellent strategy RPG, but only enough to downgrade it to a strong recommendation to genre veterans. Haemimont have promised extensive mod support shortly after launch, letting players create new maps, characters, gear and even new stories. By the time I've cracked this campaign, there'll be even more battles to fight. I can't wait.

There's a few bolts that could be tightened up here and there, but Jagged Alliance is back in business.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom