Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Sunri

Liturgist
U6tLmxo.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone, though, been able to properly do stealth in the game?

So far didnt manage to stealth kill everybody but gotten at most like killing half enemy force by kungu chopping them with the Chinese doctor. Melee srealth is fun but at some point enemy sit down together too close for it to work

mondblut

Arcane
However, when the enemy arrives I'm forced to "set up" in a small area like I'm the one attacking or something. Lame and gay, but fair enuff so I set my guys up there. Then I click to start and my fucking mercs teleport from their second position to their killing field position.

Just reading that made me want to refund the game, even though I never bought it in the first place.

Do. Not. Ever. Touch. My. Characters. With. Your. Little. Slimy. Hands.
Leave. Them. Where. I. Want. Them. To. Be.
I. Put. Them. There. And. That's. Where. They. Got. To. Stay.

Is that so hard to penetrate into your small, muh balinse-riddled brain?!?!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
If you came into this game expecting JA2, this is probably a 7/10. Where a 10/10 is a perfect sequel with new innovations, and 1/10 is unadulterated shit.

Worst thing by far is combat initiation.

Just moving them into the same square seemed to work for me. I had one squad on an enemy-occupied square, had them wait a couple days while the reinforcement squad arrived, then just deployed them both together on the deployment screen.

Dunno if there's a unit limit though, my first squad was four people and my second squad was two.

I couldn't progress time until the map sector was cleared, and I wasn't even in active combat.

Hmm, weird.
Wait, that means it IS the proper continuation.

randir14

Augur
I'm impressed by the game's writing. They really captured the original without straying far. Also, your mercs are constantly interjecting into conversations which is a nice touch.

Has anyone, though, been able to properly do stealth in the game? Like go in at night, suppressors equipped, and carefully navigate a hostile base? So far, the combat initiation is very herky jerky, and popping anyone even in stealth seems to just set everything alight. JA2 you could truly spy-walk your way into situations, but I don't think that's going to be possible here based off what I've seen so far.
It only works if your target is far enough away from other enemies, otherwise anyone nearby will hear or see them die. It is possible to kill everyone in an area before they raise an alarm though. Put everyone into hidden mode, then have a couple guys with suppressed machine guns go into overwatch. Then have two people with suppressed sniper rifles initiate combat, the enemies who survive will run into overwatch and die.

It's also sometimes possible to take out a bunch of guys with one sniper who remains hidden, but I've only managed to do it from the roof of a third story building.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ok, I have a question regarding the Outbreak quest.
When helping Dr. Kronenberg (while she is dying) do you need to collect all the samples, or are e.g. 4 sufficient?

bobocrunch

Educated
got myself a dragon lore
ammo in this game feels like metro on ranger mode, the most happy ive been with loot was a fully loaded mg42 i just took the 100 rounds from

36DEF411A84400EDAE3FD51A431E651888659CC8

Ryzer

Arcane
Which is ironic considering Ivan Dolvich is one of the best mercs in all Jagged Alliance games, much better than Bobby. He stays in character, he was always anti-Russian.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Which is ironic considering Ivan Dolvich is the one of the best mercs in all Jagged Alliance games, much better than Bobby. He stays in character, he was always anti-Russian. I'm glad they didn't change him.

I kinda like the guy but i remember only hiring him once because my favorite merc with high medicine skill despises him and refuses to work if he is on the team. Gontarski was also a caricature on Arnie in english version. And in russian version he was voiced like a dumbass potato caricature. Arnold-wannabe is just not possible in russian, since he always was dubbed\voiced normally in movies.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The game is ok as an unbalanced xcom clone, as JA2 1.13 fan the game falls short, as a JA2 vanilla fan it also fail short in certain areas of tactics, inventory and maps, while it adds more RPG elements. If you have nothing better to do, the game will suffice to absorb your attention. I gave the game a second chance and left the tutorial island and had also captured new port on the mainland on my old save. So far it's 5-6/10 game, if they balance it and overhaul some mechanics[upgrades, inventory, weight] it might be even 7/10. Mind you this game is a child's play compared to JA 2 1.13 with sevenfm AI, the battles take like 15-20 minutes here, while in that mod it's 60-120min depending on the size of the map and enemy team size, a lot more suppression usage, much more utilities, laying mines, sneaking around. Jagged Alliance 3 encompasses best what zoomers like, so no wonder the game had such a good reception despite being an unknown franchise with fairly low budget and low marketing. Have i said before how i dislike zoomers and teenagers and everything that caters to them?

Suicidal

Arcane
Much better reception on the Codex that I was expecting, but I'm seeing reports of bugs and shit performance and since this is a modern game they probably have some additional content planned as DLCs later so this is probably a good "wait a year and buy" game. Still nice to see someone taking the JA name and actually putting in at least some effort after all these years. Also the game is filtering some modern XCOM fans hard. Saw a streamer, who's a big XCOM 2 fan, drop it after an hour because "no to hit % display" and when people told them there's a mod for that made by the devs he complained that it should have been in the game from the start and rage quit.

Vityaz

Augur
Looks like modders are already fixing some of the stupid design decisions of the game, like armor not showing up on your mercs.

Apparently, someone just enabled a code that was already in the game for it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like modders are already fixing some of the stupid design decisions of the game, like armor not showing up on your mercs.

Apparently, someone just enabled a code that was already in the game for it.

How can you make it, and imagine the game would be better without it?

Fargus

Arcane
Played it today. So far my impressions are:

Bare bones IMP customization, far worse than what was in JA2. Shamefur dispray. But at least skinhead in red beret looked cool, the IMP survey was pretty lame so i adjusted my self insert to be a close combat psycho.

Hired Grizzly and Raven as they were among my favorite mercs in JA2 and also Fox because she was a cheap medic and she likes to work with Grizzly. Might hire Wolf later, i often had him with fox on the team in JA2. No Doc Danny sadly. Quite some mercs are missing, though they added some newcomers.

The voice acting is cringy and annoying at times and gets on my nerves. Grizzly was a badass in JA2 but here he sounds like insufferable hillbilly fucktard. Raven and Fox are voiced decently.

Dee Dee Bombastic is a girl actually :\. I thought it was just a skinny boy child soldier. Female child soldiers, yeah totally non pc.

First few maps were small and pathetic. I hope entire game is not like this. Just a bunch of cover spots where you can overwatch while enemy niggers rush at you like fucktards. Kinda underwhelming.

Can't say i like combat or dislike it much ... its ok so far for a nu-com clone, just ok. Pretty much wasteland 2 with ja2 inspired aiming and shitty nu-com lock on.

Stealth is annoying so i dont even bother with it.

Simplified inventory and looting are decline. Interface is pretty crappy. Nuff said.

Really enjoy the usage of perks in dialogue. Threatened some wigger on the beach for extra diamonds, weaseled more money and diamonds with Fox kikery skill (scoundrel) from that bitch uphill. And you can use skills on objects often enough.

Also good idea to hire someone who can handle explosives properly, and someone who got high wisdom (My IMP merc with 81 wis is cut out for it apparently) pronto. This isn't like JA2 where early maps were practically bomb free, so you could hire someone with skill later or train. Also your steroid mercs can't bash containers with their kicks like before.

Soundtrack is ok but nowhere as good as Kevin Manthei's masterpieces.

Early game warpainted chimps handling the guns as expected. One nigger gibbed his buddy while going full auto and accidentally hitting a mine. Another shot his comrade in the back while he was hiding behind the tree, because why the fuck not i guess? Its pretty funny. The AI is dumbfuck, had a bunch of niggers inside the bunker rush b to my location and when five of them were moving up the stairs i just grenade spammed them, stick grenades are fucking garbage or maybe i just dont have anyone with decent explosives skill yet. Another nigger showed up in the next turn and fully knowing where we were and that we killed his comrades and he just junkie rushed in the middle of my merc group...

While i dont dislike the game yet, i'm not that impressed either. I'm actually thinking about taking a break already and play something else, though maybe i'll give this game more chances to see if it grows on me.

Bonus screenshots

Nigger rush

Fox is pretty likable here. It was good idea to hire her. Face needs reworking though, maybe mods will fix it.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Should i scrap all the unused ww2 guns or wait untill i can sell them if possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom