Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cutscene battle, soldier aims some 10 metres above the head of an enemy, fires the shot, enemy drops dead. The Silent Storminess is overwhelming.

Edit: come on, just look at that. I can't believe we have that in this day and age.
1084160_2023071615391i5efq.png

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If you came into this game expecting JA2, this is probably a 7/10. Where a 10/10 is a perfect sequel with new innovations, and 1/10 is unadulterated shit.

Worst thing by far is combat initiation.

Just moving them into the same square seemed to work for me. I had one squad on an enemy-occupied square, had them wait a couple days while the reinforcement squad arrived, then just deployed them both together on the deployment screen.

Dunno if there's a unit limit though, my first squad was four people and my second squad was two.

I couldn't progress time until the map sector was cleared, and I wasn't even in active combat.

Hmm, weird.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cutscene battle, soldier aims some 10 metres above the head of an enemy, fires the shot, enemy drops dead. The Silent Storminess is overwhelming.
Only thing missing is hilarious ragdoll effect.
Worst thing by far is combat initiation.
Yeah. I'm over 10 hours into the game, and I still don't understand it. I surprise people, but they still get a turn and a half before me????

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I can get stable 60fps only on medium?

The game is super heavy on cpu and with poorer cpus you will get wild FPS swings. I can get anything from 50 to 100. There's no consistency at all, i assume if you sport X3D or i7 cpu you will be somewhat fine.
It's the GPU in my case. Only on medium do I get below 100% load.

I've installed it again, checked, and the game basically pegs one cpu core, as for gpu yes it runs on max, but i detest having such high fps fluctuations. I get 80-130 fps on high, and 50-100 fps on ultra depending where i look.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh god, it finally happened. I have an auto-resolve milita mission that refuses to go through. My game is completely locked up and I can't progress. That will teach me to play with ironman rules.

rojay

Scholar
This got iron man mode?
Yes.

Steam says I have 7 hours in and it has been pretty fun. Combat initiation can be tricky but at least when you start combat not every enemy on the map is automatically notified.

I've seen people complaining about having to pixel hunt for loot, but "alt" highlights interactable objects and it's a toggle rather than something you have to hold.

Not the variety of weapons that were in JA2, and they don't have manufacturer's names but I do like that ammunition is a relatively scarce resource at the outset. I understand the inventory system is limiting as a design decision but it is sort of annoying having to move things from one merc's backpack to another's so I can fit "two-square" items where I want them.

It's been a while since I played JA2, but it seems like there's more feedback on your chance to hit in this game than I remember. You get notified if there's a barrier in between you and your target and in my last battle there was an enemy prone on some stairs below my mercs - Buns got the message that she couldn't penetrate the cover when aiming at his torso but his head was clear and then it was clear of his neck.

I've still only faced mid-tier enemies and most of them do run to the sound of fire but they're also pretty good about getting into cover and setting up their own overwatch so they can pop out from behind cover, fire, then pop back in. I am starting to see some HP bloat (playing on the base, normal difficulty) but only one headshot that didn't result in a kill.

No idea how resources are going to end up; I played about 2 hours when I first got the game but made some very poor decisions and decided to start over. Specifically I only hired the initial mercs for one week, didn't remember to start an IMP merc for the first two in-game days and then hired Grunty a day after that. Around the two week period when I was faced with re-upping four of the five merc contracts I had to let one go (Blood, I think?) and figured I'd try again with a more strategic, long-term approach. Since then I've blown through most battles without taking more than a couple of grazes - with one or two exceptions where a merc picked up a few wounds - and even then because I'd steamrolled up to that point I had plenty of time to rest and heal up.

Can confirm you can have two independent squads in combat at the same time, but I'm not sure why you'd do that when you can just merge them ahead of combat and, where the map allows for multiple deployment zones, you can split up your squad between them to get a head start on flanking anyway.

I'm with Tuco on some of the complaints here. I mean, it's the Codex, there are going to be utter fucking morons writing brain-dead shit to get edge points with the other morons but it's been pretty good thus far and I'd agree with Tyranicon that it's 7/10.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
21,000 concurrent players on steam right now. That's fucking insane! I never thought this game would get so much attention. Happy it is though.
Hey, nice. Not huge numbers, but it's definitely not an ignored flop. For a game developed in Bulgaria, likely in the profit zone.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I would say those are pretty damn big numbers for the genre. Can't think of another game of this type besides nuXcom that has gotten this many players in recent years. I personally never saw this getting over 9k concurrent players on steam, if that.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
21,000 concurrent players on steam right now. That's fucking insane! I never thought this game would get so much attention. Happy it is though.
Glad to see it's doing well. This game is good but it feels like it has the potential to be something greater; I'm eager to see if those number translate into continued support and improvement from both the developer and whatever mod scene springs up in the future.

The writing and overall narrative they've got is starting to grow on me; might just be because I've gotten to the Big Midgame Plot Twist but it's definitely made me want to see how it develops into the ending; as well as what a different playthrough would yield.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I'm eager to see if those number translate into continued support and improvement from both the developer and whatever mod scene springs up in the future.
A big expansion pack would be great. I think it's safe to say we're going to be seeing at least one or two major good mods coming out of this too.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Not a bad game but even after turning the graphics down to Medium I’m still experiencing micro stutters. Game is eating too many resources for the amount of eye candy I am getting.

I’ve been noticing this trend for a while now. Yes people have beefier computers now but is this really an excuse to not optimize your games? It does cost extra electricity to run them after all.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm impressed by the game's writing. They really captured the original without straying far. Also, your mercs are constantly interjecting into conversations which is a nice touch.

Has anyone, though, been able to properly do stealth in the game? Like go in at night, suppressors equipped, and carefully navigate a hostile base? So far, the combat initiation is very herky jerky, and popping anyone even in stealth seems to just set everything alight. JA2 you could truly spy-walk your way into situations, but I don't think that's going to be possible here based off what I've seen so far.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I will say something that will probably make most people squirm but at first glance Miasma Chronicles is better than this.

MC has common sense UX (ESC closes every window, not in JA3) (JA3: ~ to select all team members, wtf!?) (JA3: highlighting things by pressing ALT!?) (how do I properly switch between moving and shooting!?)

MC has huge maps instead of piece meal maps but perhaps the maps will increase in size at some point (I'm still on the 1st island)

The combat is really nuXcom and for me it feels like I've already played the game.

bobocrunch

Educated
On 2, I wouldn't say they are vastly better equipped, at least not in the beginning. Most of them have bolt action rifles and SMGs, which you get plenty of soon enough.

On 3, this is one of the aspects I like. These are just some crazy dudes and gals (merc tourists) who signed up for AIM, and if you want the real military dudes you got to pay for it. Maybe the weapon smuggling just cost too much for anything heavier. Live off the land type of deal. I remember watching a documentary about south african mercenaries somewhere in Africa, and just getting a small speed boat was a major pain in the ass. I think they had one AK which they shared within the group. Most of the time they just bluffed their way through stuff, but eventually they got government support and got more equipment.

On 4. I agree with this, but it has been like that since the first JA. Not sure how to balance it. But there is a cost for setting up militia, so I assume weapons are included, but then the fact remains why we can't order from that source. Don't know how to balance it.
Yeah I've coped with the shitty gear by just accepting that it's basically Far Cry 2 but turn based (even though FC2 still had actual gun dealers), I'm not sure if it scales to your situation because I was sure even the Gold people had shitty little pistols and revolvers, but looking at it now a dozen hours in a lot of the Gold dudes have MP5s / AK74s. Still pretty weird that Militiamen have Famases, though

Has anyone, though, been able to properly do stealth in the game? Like go in at night, suppressors equipped, and carefully navigate a hostile base? So far, the combat initiation is very herky jerky, and popping anyone even in stealth seems to just set everything alight. JA2 you could truly spy-walk your way into situations, but I don't think that's going to be possible here based off what I've seen so far.
The stealth seems really dependent on weather / time which makes sense, the enemies might scramble or be surprised but if your stealth person isn't seen after the shot then it seems they'll stay in stealth. During heavy rain at night I picked off 8 dudes semi-bunched together without starting a fight using 2 suppressed snipers rotating behind full cover on a roof and popping out to headshot dudes, though they had Militia to distract them so they didn't converge on the bodies / shot location like they'd usually do.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I will say something that will probably make most people squirm but at first glance Miasma Chronicles is better than this.

MC has common sense UX (ESC closes every window, not in JA3) (JA3: ~ to select all team members, wtf!?) (JA3: highlighting things by pressing ALT!?) (how do I properly switch between moving and shooting!?)

MC has huge maps instead of piece meal maps but perhaps the maps will increase in size at some point (I'm still on the 1st island)

The combat is really nuXcom and for me it feels like I've already played the game.
It is a bit more advanced version of nuXcom and that is good. Hopefully between PP and this game this gets Firaxis to implement improvements for Xcom 3

Fargus

Arcane
Seems like a lot more people in this thread say this is a decent game with flaws, than people who say its piece of shit. I might try it myself tomorrow.

randir14

Augur
One thing I think the game does well are contextual actions and conversations depending on the character. For example there's a map with a church and a Bible that requires a wisdom check. If you check it with Barry (who is a Christian) he not only passes the check but goes into more detail about what he found.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I'm eager to see if those number translate into continued support and improvement from both the developer and whatever mod scene springs up in the future.
A big expansion pack would be great. I think it's safe to say we're going to be seeing at least one or two major good mods coming out of this too.
There is DLC mentioned in the save file. So, there is probably something planned. Especially now when it's such a success.

I've gotten to the Big Midgame Plot Twist

About that:

I assume you mean when the corp turns on you? In my game, before it bugged itself, I sure was punished by them. They wrecked and took many towns and killed countless militia. Really a damn fun twist though, because at that moment I thought the game started to become a bit easy money-wise.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I think the game is pretty good overall. It's got a solid core of a faithful sequel despite being marred by modernist game design brain rot. Just need to fix some bugs and have mods remove the enemy podshit, make a more complex inventory, better enemy goon AI and to bring back Bobby Ray's.

Lost my first party to a dumb bug. I see the enemy trying to pull a Drassen counter attack on me so I create a killing field on the side they're coming from. However, when the enemy arrives I'm forced to "set up" in a small area like I'm the one attacking or something. Lame and gay, but fair enuff so I set my guys up there. Then I click to start and my fucking mercs teleport from their second position to their killing field position. With 0 AP remaining. On ironman.

Good thing the enemy AI is nonexistent and I also had some militia to draw their fire, so my mercs survive and get to a safe position crouched behind a car. Two goons left and one of them decides to unload full auto on my ass but he misses every shot.

Unfortunately every bullet hit the car I was behind and I was actually playing Fallout 3 because the car went absolutely nuclear. Only the IMP emerged from the mushroom cloud alive, but he too fell to my single shot Alt-F4.

Bonus meme:
3v444a.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom