Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I mean I agree the guy worked on a lot of games I like,
Name three.

IWD 1, IWD 2, and IWD Heart of Winter!

Beast of Winter
White March

He loves making winter season theme DLC
I have a love/hate relationship with the white march, on one side I really enjoyed it, on the other it made me kinda hyped for the future of pillar franchise which made Dumpster fire sting even harder.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sawyer is a mediocrity in the gaming industry and a despicable SJW infused cuck outside of it.

I took a closer look at Josh Sawyer the man and who he is since 2012 when he backed Anita Sarkeesian's kickstarter project.
Since then, discovering his beliefs and the lens through which he views the world, it was a tragicomical journey.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
He don't have it. Flair, vision, charisma, execution. He just a running coffee and donuts boy from Interplay days, who landed in lead roles by gargling Ferg's goo.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I think Josh has more clue than most regarding game design, but his overall style and personal politics prevent him from achieving true greatness.

He would work best in an environment where he's kept on a tight leash with other proper designers.

The Jester

Cipher
kwo1jv7.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Retards love to hate PoE but it was actually quite good when finished+DLCs. Yes, it wasn't original, it was the clone of BG, what did you expect? It was what you asked for... I personally enjoyed it, it brought a lot of BG nostalgia. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece though. Clones of archaic games, even with improvements, are still archaic games. Skyrim is where it's at. I hope Sawyer gets the chance to make Icewind Dale 3 in a Skyrim-like engine with a party of 6 controlled like the Outer Worlds parties. It would be so much fun. That would actually be my dream game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Retards love to hate PoE but it was actually quite good when finished+DLCs. Yes, it wasn't original, it was the clone of BG, what did you expect? It was what you asked for... I personally enjoyed it, it brought a lot of BG nostalgia. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece though. Clones of archaic games, even with improvements, are still archaic games.
:5/5:
Skyrim is where it's at. I hope Sawyer gets the chance to make Icewind Dale 3 in a Skyrim-like engine with a party of 6 controlled like the Outer Worlds parties. It would be so much fun. That would actually be my dream game.
:1/5:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Skyrim is where it's at.

:nocountryforshitposters:

bethestard.png

Retards love to hate PoE but it was actually quite good when finished+DLCs. Yes, it wasn't original, it was the clone of BG, what did you expect?

I expected a BG-like world, with BG-like lore - not just BG-like gameplay.

That shouldn't have been a big ask, since BG lore is just about the most generic in the world (FR), and instead we get some kind of East-Coast North American mythmaking.

Guys, my dear Americans, you don't have a culture. You don't have history. You don't have anything interesting.

Hence the incredibly boring and uninteresting plot and setting. Sorry Josh, German myth and setting would have been infinitely more interesting, just about any myth and setting apart from North American.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Retards love to hate PoE but it was actually quite good when finished+DLCs. Yes, it wasn't original, it was the clone of BG, what did you expect? It was what you asked for... I personally enjoyed it, it brought a lot of BG nostalgia. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece though. Clones of archaic games, even with improvements, are still archaic games. Skyrim is where it's at. I hope Sawyer gets the chance to make Icewind Dale 3 in a Skyrim-like engine with a party of 6 controlled like the Outer Worlds parties. It would be so much fun. That would actually be my dream game.

My dream game is a game game that one can play first person, third person and/or top-down at will, with the ability to choose on the fly between RTwP and turn-based combat gameplay.

It's becoming more and more possible these days. (e.g., although DA:I has its flaws, it did show how lovely it can be, aesthetically, to have all the options.)

At that point, the only advantage with the Infinity-style rendering and strict isometric view is the possibility of more unique backgrounds - which is still a considerable advantage (as I discussed with someone here a while ago, it's the time difference between having to paint the visible part of an object vs. having to paint the whole 3-d object). But even that advantage will fade as things move to materials-based rendering.

Strict first person is far too restrictive though, and the degree to which it's immersive is overblown - in fact third person is more immersive most of the time, since it mimics normal situational awareness, whereas first person actually mimics tunnel vision, which would really be operative only in dungeons when you're really scared.

Drakortha

Liturgist
How can anyone dream anymore with this nightmare of a games industry. One overhyped turd after another and every beloved franchise becoming a shadow of it's former self. I don't feel like I've truly enjoyed a game, RPG or otherwise, since around 2011.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
How can anyone dream anymore with this nightmare of a games industry. One overhyped turd after another and every beloved franchise becoming a shadow of it's former self. I don't feel like I've truly enjoyed a game, RPG or otherwise, since around 2011.

Yeah, Skyrim ruined RPGs for a lot of people, it is hard to top that. Only Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Deux Ex Mankind Divided came really close.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yeah, Skyrim ruined RPGs for a lot of people, it is hard to top that. Only Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Deux Ex Mankind Divided came really close.
I'm strongly against using the "
stop.png
" button, but you are really forcing my hand here.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That shouldn't have been a big ask, since BG lore is just about the most generic in the world (FR), and instead we get some kind of East-Coast North American mythmaking.

Agreed with your post, in general, but I don't think there's much in the PoE world lore that strongly points to 'East Coast North American mythmaking". (Josh is from Wisconsin (midwest) and Obsidian is West Coast.) Probably just better to call it out as painfully uninspired / dull instead.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Agreed with your post, in general, but I don't think there's much in the PoE world lore that strongly points to 'East Coast North American mythmaking". (Josh is from Wisconsin (midwest) and Obsidian is West Coast.) Probably just better to call it out as painfully uninspired / dull instead.

Oh you're right, it was dull and uninspired, but to explain myself:

the NA feel is what I got from the descriptions of the colonists, the old Aedyr (Spain/England amalagamation) empire and the now free colonies of Dyrwood (thirteen colonies /mesoamerica amalgamation). Also names of spirit things were often vaguely indian-like, e.g. "biawac".

This is probably just convenient world-building, i.e. write what you know, but it doesn't work for the setting. The US is wonderful for post-apocalyptic settings, but when it comes to fantasy nothing outshines European based lore.

Quillon

Arcane
My dream game is a game game that one can play first person, third person and/or top-down at will, with the ability to choose on the fly between RTwP and turn-based combat gameplay.

Combat shouldn't be divided imo, I'm all for mixing camera perspectives when it comes to fp/tp exploration + top down combat(only option) tho. Otherwise stick to perspective; I prefer top down but group control can be fun in fp/tp games also; f.i. S.W.A.T or even ARMA; even tho its far from the game's focus it a lot of fun ordering teams of soldiers around, setting up ambushes etc. but this stuff rely on AI-controlled teammates so codex would reeeeeeeeeeee

a party of 6 controlled like the Outer Worlds parties.

2 isn't enough, let's watch 6 combat ability cutscenes over and over again, it'll be fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom