Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm strongly against using the "
stop.png
" button, but you are really forcing my hand here.

You cannot stop Skyrim. The train of incline is strong, fast, and powerful.

2 isn't enough, let's watch 6 combat ability cutscenes over and over again, it'll be fun

Well, you can tweak that, you don't have to see ability cutscenes. I agree that ability cutscenes and their rate of occurence should be optional. But it would be fun if you played a Skyrim game and you had 5 DnD computer controlled companions (but with scripting and some buttons to order them to do specific staff) to adventure with in the Spine of the World. A man can dream.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My dream game is a game game that one can play first person, third person and/or top-down at will, with the ability to choose on the fly between RTwP and turn-based combat gameplay.

Combat shouldn't be divided imo, I'm all for mixing camera perspectives when it comes to fp/tp exploration + top down combat(only option) tho. Otherwise stick to perspective; I prefer top down but group control can be fun in fp/tp games also; f.i. S.W.A.T or even ARMA; even tho its far from the game's focus it a lot of fun ordering teams of soldiers around, setting up ambushes etc. but this stuff rely on AI-controlled teammates so codex would reeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry, I want it all, and I want all the options, in combat as well as out of :)

The only difficulty seems to be that different type of AI is required for turn-based than RtWP, and that doubles developers' work. Well ok, just let the thing be moddable to the level that modders can get at the AI for one side or the other.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Well, you can tweak that, you don't have to see ability cutscenes. I agree that ability cutscenes and their rate of occurence should be optional. But it would be fun if you played a Skyrim game and you had 5 DnD computer controlled companions (but with scripting and some buttons to order them to do specific staff) to adventure with in the Spine of the World. A man can dream.

You remind me of Icarus who flew too close to the sun.

45236c89-2ff5-4f93-bd49-8fbbc0ea8000_400_400

Combat shouldn't be divided imo, I'm all for mixing camera perspectives when it comes to fp/tp exploration + top down combat(only option) tho.

I believe next Obsidian game will be third person like that never made Stormlands.

Drakortha

Liturgist
How can anyone dream anymore with this nightmare of a games industry. One overhyped turd after another and every beloved franchise becoming a shadow of it's former self. I don't feel like I've truly enjoyed a game, RPG or otherwise, since around 2011.

Yeah, Skyrim ruined RPGs for a lot of people, it is hard to top that. Only Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Deux Ex Mankind Divided came really close.

Yeah you're right, Skyrim did ruin RPG's. But not in the way you think.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
They seem to be doubling down on first person with all those job postings a while back.
That could be for Outer worlds. New RPG is mystery. But if you take a glance in history with New vegas exception, KOTOR2, Alien RPG(canned), Stormlands (canned), all third person games.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
:nocountryforshitposters:

bethestard.png

I expected a BG-like world, with BG-like lore - not just BG-like gameplay.

That shouldn't have been a big ask, since BG lore is just about the most generic in the world (FR), and instead we get some kind of East-Coast North American mythmaking.

Guys, my dear Americans, you don't have a culture. You don't have history. You don't have anything interesting.

Hence the incredibly boring and uninteresting plot and setting. Sorry Josh, German myth and setting would have been infinitely more interesting, just about any myth and setting apart from North American.
It sucked, but not because it had a colonial type setting. Do you also think Wild West films are inherently uninteresting?

Quillon

Arcane
They seem to be doubling down on first person with all those job postings a while back.
That could be for Outer worlds. New RPG is mystery. But if you take a glance in history with New vegas exception, KOTOR2, Alien RPG(canned), Stormlands (canned), all third person games.

It was around the time of TOW's release and the jobs were about first person melee combat, I doubt they were thinking of TOW 2's melee combat at that time; it's combat is mostly about guns anyway.

Then again, Grounded has both FP&TP so they could add TP to be a bit more bethesda-like.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It sucked, but not because it had a colonial type setting. Do you also think Wild West films are inherently uninteresting?

No it did suck because of the Merrycan colonial setting. America has no history to speak of, so building on it is a big mistake. It becomes a boring snorefest or some New Age claptrap.

When I think Baldur's Gate, I don't think New Age adventures with Josh. Sorry.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

In April of 2018, my girlfriend broke up with me. The reason wasn't anything dramatic; she just didn't love me anymore. It was the night before I had to fly to Croatia for a conference and a month before I had to ship the game I was working on.

For practical reasons, it didn't make sense for her to move out until a month or two later. We were still on very friendly terms, but that kind of made it excruciating. In the interim, the game shipped and commercially flopped. Everyone was taking vacations, but I didn't want to.

I felt like shit because the game did badly and I didn't want to go anywhere alone. And honestly I was still in love with my soon-to-be-ex so I was still holding on to those remaining days together even though each one was sadder than the last.

While it wasn't *the worst* I have felt in my life, it was pretty bad. At one point I said to her, "I wonder if I'm depressed," and she immediately replied, "No, you're just sad." She was right (also, depressed). She moved out, I felt terrible, time moved on, and I felt better.

And yes, I finally went on vacation.

Lately I've been feeling awful and wondering at the cause. My life is, I think, a lot better than it was two years ago, but I can't concentrate on anything. I don't really want to do anything. My sleep schedule is screwed up. I stress eat.

Everything is exhausting and infuriating. Last year at this time I was doing 100-150 mile weekend bike rides. Now it's a struggle to find the mental energy to do a 25 mile ride.

I've been thinking about this a lot because, like I said, I haven't really felt this way before.

I think at the root of it all is good old-fashioned Weltschmerz, another great compound German noun. It literally means, "world pain", but more poetically, "a mood of weariness or sadness about life arising from the acute awareness of evil and suffering".

For most of my adult life, I've thought that human beings are generally selfish, awful, miserable creatures, but 2020 is really pushing that to the forefront of my mind at all hours. I certainly have never felt as alienated from and repulsed by American social values as I do now.

And that's really saying something, because I generally feel alienated from American social values. I think the difference now is that for the first time in my charmed life, I can't escape the influence of those values. They are physically affecting everything around me.

Even if I'm not doomscrolling, the impact of those values is everywhere in my community. I can't ride a bike away from them, I can't drive away from them, and I can't even fly away from them. My previous ability to do so is probably what's kept my head above water until now.

And because I'm deeply cynical about American politics (I think it's probably more fair to say that I have outright thorough contempt for all American political institutions), I have zero hope about things getting better through our institutions.

In fact, I think those institutions will steamroll and destroy the extraordinary people who are tirelessly giving all of their energy to improve things. Because that's what they've done before. And because we can see it happening again, day by day.

I've talked to friends about this, generally, specifically, and they've said, "Yeah, we all feel like this." IDK if I'm depressed. I just know I feel awful every day and like I'm just waiting for earth to fill up around me until I'm completely entombed and suffocate to death.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh is a bro. He's going through a tough time and I really feel for him. What he describes is literally depression. He needs to get professional help. And maybe change the workplace and/or move to another country or at least state.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Social media and the 24 hour international news cycle is messing a lot of people up regardless of ideology. Previous generations had it right accidentally; check the news once, twice a day at most and no more. Focus on your life, family, and local community.

Edit: re-examined the timeline and the girlfriend he was sad about was the ugly QA tester he rebounded from his decade+ long relationship, tsk. Figures she was cold and distant though, looks the type.

Last edited:
Social media and the 24 hour international news cycle is messing a lot of people up regardless of ideology. Previous generations had it right accidentally; check the news once, twice a day at most and no more. Focus on your life, family, and local community.
In general I agree. But in Josh's case, the main trigger of depression was not international news or social networks, but personal problems, namely breaking up with his girlfriend and the commercial failure of PoE 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In general I agree. But in Josh's case, the main trigger of depression was not international news or social networks, but personal problems, namely parting with his girlfriend and the commercial failure of PoE 2.

He says himself those things no longer bother him and didn't bother him anywhere near as much as politics.

He says himself those things no longer bother him and didn't bother him anywhere near as much as politics.
Yes. But he also says that he used to be able to cope with his 'political issues' (by riding a bike). And now he can't do it. The excessive and painful interest in politics seems to me more like an untreated depression syndrome than the cause of it in his case.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Is no one going to address the elephant in the room? Source of all his problems is right there in his post, 150 mile weekend bike rides. That sort of distance would put immense pressure on your nuts and crush the testosterone right out of your system. Wearing cycling spandex leotards was just feature creep of the low-test lifestyle brought on by pedal pushing. Plus, aint nobody got time or fluids for QA testers after that much cycling.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
And that's really saying something, because I generally feel alienated from American social values. I think the difference now is that for the first time in my charmed life, I can't escape the influence of those values. They are physically affecting everything around me.

That is, Josh: take Chrissy in a bunch and move to Russia! Yes, in the couple of years you will hate everything here; but in the meantime you will produce couple of awesome games and coming back to States you will appreciate American lifestyle with new passion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom