Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I disagreed that European lore is inherently better

So I am not in the mood to discuss something I didn't mention, what I said was Josh's not-America lore blows. Evidently you were triggered by me writing that "nothing outshines European based lore". I did not actually write "European lore".

I wasn't talking about actual European lore, but derivatives based on it. Now I'm sure you are all up in arms about this, but really - your Asian lore simply hasn't created much interesting *derivative* work. Nothing outshines European based lore in that regard. That means nagas and mages and all that is taken and incorporated into European-based lore, for our entertainment.

Now if you were being intellectually honest, you'd mention that none of these things you talked about are even recognizable in European derivative works, compared to the original. They're twisted and changed to serve European aesthetics and interest. The names are sometimes kept and just about everything else scrapped.

So do you understand? Am I being unclear?

You are also exceptionally butthurt for a Spaniard.

Probably. Yes I probably am.

Probably because half of what you wrote was relativistic drivel and the other half were half-truths and vague insinuations about how supposedly "incredibly interesting" sandnigger "lore" is.

That's what you read as butthurt, when someone rejects this romanticized pile of manure you halfbreeds shovel to gild your otherwise culturally barren existence, after your satanic religion wiped it all out. Always victims. Always lying.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I disagreed that European lore is inherently better

So I am not in the mood to discuss something I didn't mention, what I said was Josh's not-America lore blows. Evidently you were triggered by me writing that "nothing outshines European based lore". I did not actually write "European lore".

I wasn't talking about actual European lore, but derivatives based on it. Now I'm sure you are all up in arms about this, but really - your Asian lore simply hasn't created much interesting *derivative* work. Nothing outshines European based lore in that regard. That means nagas and mages and all that is taken and incorporated into European-based lore, for our entertainment.

Now if you were being intellectually honest, you'd mention that none of these things you talked about are even recognizable in European derivative works, compared to the original. They're twisted and changed to serve European aesthetics and interest. The names are sometimes kept and just about everything else scrapped.

So do you understand? Am I being unclear?

You are also exceptionally butthurt for a Spaniard.

Probably. Yes I probably am.

Probably because half of what you wrote was relativistic drivel and the other half were half-truths and vague insinuations about how supposedly "incredibly interesting" sandnigger "lore" is.

That's what you read as butthurt, when someone rejects this romanticized pile of manure you halfbreeds shovel to gild your otherwise culturally barren existence, after your satanic religion wiped it all out. Always victims. Always lying.

What a sad state of existence it must be to live in such butthurt. I put in very disclosed terms that Western fantasy is more developed and explored but that this isn't an inherent quality of the base lore. I also wrote that it's a shame there isn't more variety and not even from origins that are already heavily borrowed from or are foundational in case of one thousand one hundred nights, mainly blaming lack of writers from those places. I then stated I am disappointed in Western audiences for only demanding Western medieval and not being open to later Western and especially colonial settings as I enjoy those. Meanwhile you are boiling over nothing in particular, nothing I can discern really just loose reactive anger yelling at clouds. Also saying nothing while calling what I wrote vague and trying to come up with what I assume are supposed to be witty insults with no substance, when I was as clear as what was said can be. Keep randomly seething about Muslims or whatever, it's just uninteresting to read.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I think at the root of it all is good old-fashioned Weltschmerz, another great compound German noun. It literally means, "world pain", but more poetically, "a mood of weariness or sadness about life arising from the acute awareness of evil and suffering".
That is called being a teenager. Grow up a prefrontal cortex and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Slavic, Chinese, Persian, bronze age Middle-East, Greek and Roman, all of this could make for a good fantasy setting. Typical Western fantasy is overdone to death and boring.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I put in very disclosed terms that Western fantasy is more developed and explored but that this isn't an inherent quality of the base lore.

So if you want to argue about the base lore, please start a thread about it.

Slavic, Chinese, Persian, bronze age Middle-East, Greek and Roman, all of this could make for a good fantasy setting. Typical Western fantasy is overdone to death and boring.

You are mixing up fantasy and lore.

Longes

Augur
Modern western fantasy's primary source is D&D. People like to talk about "Tolkien knock-offs", but it's actually the D&D interpretation of fantasy races and monsters that everyone and their dog start from.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If only he channeled it into creating a gloom & doom RPG, that'd be something.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sawyer streams Kingdom Come.

I tried watching it. He opens his inventory and there's 25 apples in it. He goes "apples in May in medieval Bohemia? Immersion destroyed". Laughed my ass off.

Quillon

Arcane
He's so bad playing it; can't/doesn't read UI, can't find characters even when they are right in front of him, wonder how he'll manage KDC's crappy combat :P

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He's so bad playing it; can't/doesn't read UI, can't find characters even when they are right in front of him
Yeah, that always makes me wonder how are these developers making games if they're gaming-illiterate, i.e. can't understand basics of other games. He's not the only one like that, Tim Cain is absolutely hopeless.

That probably contributes to Obsidian's games being bad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He's so bad playing it; can't/doesn't read UI, can't find characters even when they are right in front of him, wonder how he'll manage KDC's crappy combat :P
He used to be good at games, but brain rot has clearly set in.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He used to be good at games.
What evidence do you have of that?

At this point I'm afraid we'll all go senile like Sawyer in 10 years, and that's a scary prospect. I'd rather think he always used to be like that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It'd be really sad if he went senile like that. I wonder how much he drinks. I remember him opening his first beer back around 2014, and nowadays he just drinks alone at home while streaming, and likes talking about what he's drinking and showing the bottle to the camera. A sign of alcoholism?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Fantasy often based on lore.

Yes. It's still not the same thing and the distinction is meaningful. Treating them as the same thing is meaningless.

It'd be really sad if he went senile like that. I wonder how much he drinks. I remember him opening his first beer back around 2014, and nowadays he just drinks alone at home while streaming, and likes talking about what he's drinking and showing the bottle to the camera. A sign of alcoholism?

Or Russian heritage
thinking.png

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
These days, almost all Americans drink more and exclusively at home.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Careful Josh. You don't want it to look like you oppose the chimps destroying your cities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom