Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Soydevs getting what they deserve

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's definitely a place for shocking results stemming from a seemingly good choice. Fallout 3, for all its massive, MASSIVE narrative issues, had that rare great moment where you help the ghouls and Tenpenny people live in peace, only to come back later and find that the ghouls murdered all of them. If you make every quest, or even a significant number of quests, end like that though you'll make it rote and annoying. So not to sound too simplistic, but I think the key is just to keep it rare and impactful.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is that Killian/Gizmo thing from a mod? A very early version perhaps? I hear a few people say that. But my version had the help Killian > happy ending, I think. Fallout Wiki says: "In the original write-up of Junktown, the "ending sequence" was reversed from its final incarnation. See the alternate endings for the original versions" with the Fallout Bible as the source.

Endemic

Arcane
As I understand it, basically Killian was too harsh and drove away business with his uncompromising rule, Gizmo was willing to allow things Killian didn't and meant Junktown flourished in the long run. Someone higher up at Interplay vetoed it apparently.

I can sort of see the appeal in that ending, but you'd also need to edit the Junktown quests and dialogue to avoid contradicting what is already shown of the two characters. So it's understandable the end slides were changed instead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Do you mind if I ask the story of how you hopped from being a webmaster to designing games there?
I harassed Colin McComb, Chris Avellone, and Feargus Urquhart relentlessly until Feargus agreed to allow me to do junior design work on Icewind Dale part-time.

Imagine a world where he was humble and this never happened.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Do you mind if I ask the story of how you hopped from being a webmaster to designing games there?
I harassed Colin McComb, Chris Avellone, and Feargus Urquhart relentlessly until Feargus agreed to allow me to do junior design work on Icewind Dale part-time.

Humility for thee but not for me. It’s the progtard way.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
- Icewind Dale 2 would still be using the 2E ruleset.
- There would be no one to save Neverwinter Nights 2 from being a trainwreck at launch.
- I guess Avellone would've been the lead designer on the Aliens RPG, as opposed to him just being a Creative Lead reporting to Josh. Maybe under his leadership things would've went more smoothly and Sega wouldn't have cancelled it.
- Assuming Avellone still moved to Alpha Protocol, he might've ditched it mid-development to lead New Vegas (which would be a shame, because Alpha Protocol is awesome).

Yeah, keep your Sawyer-free world. I'm not giving up Alpha Protocol.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

After the double debacle of Pillars I can see why they might have been hesitant

Avarize

Magister
Once the devs pay for the development of the game they can expect royalties. Just start a game company and try to hire by telling them you won't pay anything but they'll get a part of the profits. See how many sign up.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's easier to achieve balance in a game system he didn't design than one he did? And what the fuck does he mean by enjoyable balance? Best part is he doesn't elaborate on anything. Just leaves it all vague with regards to balance.

Basically, it sounds like all classes function the fucking same in all situations, no matter what. So why design a game with classes then if you don't like the concepts of strengths and weaknesses?

purupuru

Learned
Well, poe has magic (both spells and magic items) which is always a pain to balance. I mean, no weapon in FNV can cause as much balance problem as Frostseeker with a crit build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom