Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Efe

Erudite
its his fault ever thinking that armor/pen design is anything but failure

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I hope he doesn't. Deadfire was put out too hastily, IMO. Instead going through full voiceover 3 months before release, Sawyer should have worked to improve game overall I have high hopes for POE3 to rectify all of the issues with Deadfire but still change lore and writing for the better. Performance too.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
For example, if you have an enemy with extremely high damage output yet reasonably low pen of a single type, then players will learn to raise armor value to get that 70% damage reduction, or if the enemy's attack with highest pen deals no direct damage but applies DOT, then maybe it's a good idea to use lighter armor and kill it fast. But if you just throw a bunch of generic mobs at the player with an even assortment of damage types and strengths then there really isn't much the players can do to interact with the system and optimize.
Sawyer, a 20+ years veteran dev, should go and take some fucking lessons from a Styg on topic of "how to design a proper RPG system using classic RPGs as your inspiration".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
For example, if you have an enemy with extremely high damage output yet reasonably low pen of a single type, then players will learn to raise armor value to get that 70% damage reduction, or if the enemy's attack with highest pen deals no direct damage but applies DOT, then maybe it's a good idea to use lighter armor and kill it fast. But if you just throw a bunch of generic mobs at the player with an even assortment of damage types and strengths then there really isn't much the players can do to interact with the system and optimize.
Sawyer, a 20+ years veteran dev, should go and take some fucking lessons from a Styg on topic of "how to design a proper RPG system using classic RPGs as your inspiration".
But Underrail allows the player to make bad builds, and that's no fun. It's better when the decisions you make during chargen don't mean anything.

Codex Year of the Donut
Underrail has GURPS heritage, PoE has D&D heritage. Even when far removed, the differences are still very distinct and GURPS was always a better system for combat.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Never did GURPS before, but if Styg & co did a D&D styled game, I'd imagine it would be implemented magnificently better than anything Sawyer could do with GURPS.
Imagine Dark Sun game in Underrail engine...

I'm imagining Sawyer doing an Underrail style games. All I keep getting are snarky characters I want to punch, muh feminizm, and crap combat encounters./

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope he doesn't. Deadfire was put out too hastily, IMO. Instead going through full voiceover 3 months before release, Sawyer should have worked to improve game overall I have high hopes for POE3 to rectify all of the issues with Deadfire but still change lore and writing for the better. Performance too.

Deadfire turned out much better than it started, though still limited in some exasperating places.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Dude, he should honestly stop communicating in general and just focus on whatever project it is that he's working on.

At this point, you have to wonder if he's ended up like Manderley, pushed into some obscure bureaucratic cubbyhole, as a result of Obsidian's would-be franchise falling flat on the sequel and 2 of the Troika returning to make Obs. big bucks with their own game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wayne Reynolds
TrumpDisgusting.png

Quillon

Arcane
Gweath is Engwith and Moi Gweath is Engwithan.

maybe, I don't know :D

Flying Dutchman

Learned
The only thing that can made a boring fantasy setting worse is the addition of a crap fantasy language.

The depths sunk to for the language and insane focus on currency is Unfun Autism Verified.

Keyboard Vomit

Fantasy language is cool. We need a "postenago" button for those who disagree.
They can be cool but most authors completely miss the point and most devs too. Stories and video games are just as much about what you put in them as what you don't, so all the parts you make use of need to justifiable. Tolkien started the trend but his stories depended on linguistics while the cargo cults that were built around his books never did anything with it and should have saved us all some cringe by not trying to. In game dev the story is similar, it is very rare that a conlang is actually made a real part of the game. I never played the Pillows of Snoozternity but from what I can tell it is a game that decidedly doesn't make any real use of the conglang.

See Ultima Underworld for a game doing it right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom