Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us on February 11th

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played hardcore so no fast travel ever. It's not even really needed – once you learn the map, you can get everywhere really fast.
Yes, sure, but admittedly... I was fucking relieved I don't have to trundle from Skalitz all the way to Rattay for the 534th time in those few rare moments the game forced a fast travel for narrative reasons.

To be honest, for the sequel I'd be glad for a limited fast travel option on Hardcore, say a handful of "caravans" going between major hubs or some such.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
How can anything be on the "scale" of a Bethesda game with this level of attention to detail? It's an absurd expectation. Bethesda games can afford to be "wide as an ocean" precisely because they are "deep as a puddle".
It describes Kingdom Come down to a T, its open world is completely empty, not that it doesn't make sense after all but then don't make an open-world.
The real world isn't a big theme park and neither is KCD's world. It's nice to have a change of pace from tripping up over content every time you stumble into a room.
it's a game

How can anything be on the "scale" of a Bethesda game with this level of attention to detail? It's an absurd expectation. Bethesda games can afford to be "wide as an ocean" precisely because they are "deep as a puddle".
It describes Kingdom Come down to a T, its open world is completely empty, not that it doesn't make sense after all but then don't make an open-world.
The real world isn't a big theme park and neither is KCD's world. It's nice to have a change of pace from tripping up over content every time you stumble into a room.
it's a game

Well, KCD for sure would have never made it past a single playtesting session of Northern American studios (or their Polish knock-offs), that's for sure.

In other words: Over this way, please.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it's a game

Well, KCD for sure would have never made it past a single playtesting session of Northern American studios (or their Polish knock-offs), that's for sure.

In other words: Over this way, please.
If you fail to recognize that a video game requires a degree of abstraction for gameplay to take place in the first place (going as far as Gygax), it is you who has failed to find their way finding a suitable hobby. Larping is more popular these days, and maybe you won't be scoffed at much.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I would rather dig my eyeballs out with a spoon and feed them to a horde of flesh-eating spiders while they dangle off of my face than play this without fast travel. The game is extremely long and there is so much walking back and forth. Each trip has a million fences and bushes and trees to get your horse stuck on, then you've got to spin around mashing jump to escape. Perhaps at hour 1 to 10 it might be cute, but only some kind of psycho would want to gallop across the same field for the 1000th time at hour 30.

Yosharian

Arcane
I played hardcore so no fast travel ever. It's not even really needed – once you learn the map, you can get everywhere really fast.
Yes, sure, but admittedly... I was fucking relieved I don't have to trundle from Skalitz all the way to Rattay for the 534th time in those few rare moments the game forced a fast travel for narrative reasons.

To be honest, for the sequel I'd be glad for a limited fast travel option on Hardcore, say a handful of "caravans" going between major hubs or some such.
Lack of fast travel is fine in the early game when you're learning about the world and enjoying the struggle of the peasant life.

Later when you are an armoured knight and can destroy almost anybody with a longsword, your method of travel should be more advanced, you should be able to pay for a horse carriage.

Games never seem to understand how to do travel progression correctly

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be quite happy for a mode which just slowed down skill and attribute progression but didn't do any of the other hardcore stuff.

That said, I've no idea what the progression will be like in KCD2, hopefully slower than in the first game by default.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Each trip has a million fences and bushes and trees to get your horse stuck on

The fuck are you doing cutting through shit have you ever heard of roads?
That would be even worse than getting stuck on bushes. I do not use roads and I can't relate to anyone who would use a road, you might as well be an alien to me.

See, this is why hard core mode should have just been the normal, mandatory mode.

Cutting through shit in hardcore is the easiest way to lose your way in a forest and never make it out.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
That would never happen to me, the last time I got lost in a video game was in everquest. Probably 20 years ago. Unless you mean never making it out of a bush because I got stuck in it? That could happen.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what kind of psycho would want to gallop across the same field for the 1000th time at hour 30
raise-hand.gif

kangaxx

Arbiter
it's a game
Can games be different, and offer different things? Or does everything need to be a ADHD simulator in this day and age?

fuzz

Liturgist
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1771300/announcements/detail/4679892907516715159

Shape and evolve Henry your way

While the world of Kingdom Come: Deliverance II is handcrafted to be a historically accurate and deeply immersive medieval Bohemia, the game’s main character - Henry - is something of a blank canvas for you to complete as his story unfolds. Henry is a young man who has yet to develop deeply entrenched views of the world. As such, you’re free to develop his skills, morality and personality in ways that reflect both your own unique values and the deep gameplay principles of the Kingdom Come: Deliverance universe: that Henry’s skills level up as he uses them.

For example, as you master a weapon in any given class, your basic capability with other weapons within that class also improves, which then gives you access to new combat techniques. Master the darker arts of stealth and you’ll find it easier to distract guards and make effective use of disguises as you complete your deadly work in the shadows. Hone your blacksmithing and alchemy skills and your crafted items become more powerful.

As well as practising these skills (and countless others), additional progress comes from the discoveries you make in the world. You’ll find teachers willing to share a little of their expertise, or quests that reward exceptional knowledge. However you choose to progress through the ranks of each skill, you’ll feel the power and possibilities that come from true mastery of your craft.

In addition to these core skills, you’ll also uncover a host of perks throughout your journey: for example, you might learn how to enter berserk mode when your health is low, or find it easier to distract guard dogs, or prove more effective at charming the opposite sex; once learned, these perks remain active and add further flavour to your unique experience of Henry’s world.

73f1410838c3ceff33c812c94ea9e4e7d8c0435c.png

Crucially, that world reacts to how you make use of these skills. Kingdom Come: Deliverance II is a proudly traditional RPG that’s driven, first and foremost, by its underlying systems, rather than heavily scripted encounters. In other words, this is a world that remembers your actions and the choices you make and pushes back against you accordingly. Each inhabitant of this sprawling world is a real character, with their own motivations, emotions and experiences of 15th-century life. Present yourself to them bloodied and bruised from battle and they’ll judge you accordingly. Choose to kill an ally of theirs and they’ll shun you.

If you choose to commit crimes under cover of darkness, you may well go unpunished; but the world will nevertheless react to the threat you’ve introduced to their lives. The now-fearful locals will arm themselves, the guards will become more vigilant, and the shopkeepers will increase the price of their goods.

Not every moral issue is a question of law and order and some of the decisions you’ll face weigh temptation against personal corruption. Choose the morally questionable path and you may gain a distinct advantage, but at what cost? It’s your longer-term investment in your own personal Henry that gives these dilemmas their true weight and meaning.

Your Henry is uniquely yours. From the skills you master, to how you choose to flaunt those skills in a complex world, Kingdom Come: Deliverance II is built from the ground up to provide a richly immersive experience unlike any other in gaming.

777588e65ada37019767f1e3086337d33f6afd7d.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What did you expect, Warhorse isn't an indie dev anymore, and giant corporaishuns gonna giant corporaishun.

Plus Denuvo isn't being cracked anymore, ofc your Embracers and EAs and Ubisofts are gonna abuse that.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What did you expect, Warhorse isn't an indie dev anymore, and giant corporaishuns gonna giant corporaishun.
That'a why I still like CDPR. They advocate no DRM approach and apply it to their business model. And they do have impressive results.

Witcher 3 had no DRM and sold 50 million copies.

Cyberpunk 2077 - no DRM, 25 million copies sold.

Its a pity Warhorse prefers to follow Ubisofts and EAs instead of their Polish cousins.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Its a pity Warhorse prefers to follow Ubisofts and EAs instead of their Polish cousins.
I literally just wrote Warhorse isn't in charge anymore. It's Embracer/Plaion.

Btw other beloved games with Denuvo and zero backlash - Wukong, Persona 5, Street Fighter 6, Dragon's Dogma 2, Helldivers 2, Monster Hunter Wilds and a whole bunch of beloved anime JRPG ports.

I buy on GOG regularly, I don't like any DRM, I especially don't like Denuvo, but call me a KCD fanboy but I'm not gonna stand here and selectively shit on KCD while nobody else gets any Denuvo backlash anymore.

DKunit

Literate
Is this the part where we pretend this was in any way surprising and act way more mad about it than we actually are?

They could get away with not putting in DRM with the first game because they didn't know if it would be a success or not. Then it sold a million copies in 2 weeks.

Damn right Plaion was gonna have them put Devuno in this time around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom