Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us on February 11th

Gargaune

Arcane
I guess it depends on the bear, but even if you posit the player can survive a bear attack if they try to make the encounters at all realistic it would have to be too much of an ordeal to make bears regular critters you can meet or go after. Best way would probably to go all the way with the historical accuracy, by alllowing the player to trap the bears or use specialized weapons like the bear spear.
I don't feel it'd push the realism angle any more than KCD already needs to with quaffing a potion to get over the ordeal of fighting a pack of brigands. My point is that plate would render a grizzly significantly less of a mortal threat than a pair of mace-swinging yokels, and it's a persistent bugbear of mine how videogames insist on portraying bears and wolves and other forest vermin as an equal or greater threat against armour that was designed to protect from a charging lance. But we should probably get off the bear talk before we attract certain... Belgians.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Of course, if the game were to be realistic, even in a full suite of armor getting charged by a bear would likely result in certain death
Bohemia isn't the Rockies, we don't have grizzlies or kodiaks here. Our brown bears are much smaller and usually they just injure people, and those are just wimpy vegan hikers without any armor or weapons. In full plates and a sword you'd absolutely stand a chance.

I don't feel it'd push the realism angle any more than KCD already needs to with quaffing a potion to get over the ordeal of fighting a pack of brigands.
Yea. I'm all for larping but ultimately it IS a game. If you push realism too far you'll get something like RDR2 with minutes-long skinning animations, city-wide shootouts started with an inadvertent bump in the street, horrifying horse-riding crashes because of a small rock on the road and other obnoxious elements.

Litmanen

Educated
Bears wouldn't be found so close to farmland
What?

Wild animals are generally shy and rarely venture where humans are. I live next to a national park that has quite a few bears in it, but they almost never venture where people are. Europe isn't like 'Murrica where Grizzly bears show up at your doorstep because you decided to build your house right in the woods.
I disagree. In Northern Italy the cases of bears in "highly" inhabited areas were not that rare, especially when they started to regulaly found/steal food. And there were also one or two casualties.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The only bears known to regularly fuck people up are grizzlies, statistically. Not saying I would want to tussle with an Eurasian brown bear, even in armor (which wasn't designed for bear attacks) and some kind of polearm.

That's still like a 500kg natural war machine that the romans used in their arenas.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The only bears known to regularly fuck people up are grizzlies, statistically. Not saying I would want to tussle with an Eurasian brown bear, even in armor (which wasn't designed for bear attacks) and some kind of polearm.

That's still like a 500kg natural war machine that the romans used in their arenas.
I've been very close to such a brown bear. It lifted a heavy pipe that took 4 people to carry with one paw like lifting something super light. It would probably crush a knight inside his armor with one real hit.

babayaga

Educated
There are plenty of stories about brown bears brutalizing people in Russia.
They are apex predators and they are hungry.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i went to google what kind of bears the Czech republic has and this line came up:

"The brown bear (Ursus arctos) – the biggest European carnivore – was exterminated from most of the Czech Republic"

Like damn Henry, did you have to kill them all.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Its a pity Warhorse prefers to follow Ubisofts and EAs instead of their Polish cousins.
I literally just wrote Warhorse isn't in charge anymore. It's Embracer/Plaion.

Btw other beloved games with Denuvo and zero backlash - Wukong, Persona 5, Street Fighter 6, Dragon's Dogma 2, Helldivers 2, Monster Hunter Wilds and a whole bunch of beloved anime JRPG ports.

I buy on GOG regularly, I don't like any DRM, I especially don't like Denuvo, but call me a KCD fanboy but I'm not gonna stand here and selectively shit on KCD while nobody else gets any Denuvo backlash anymore.
I have a somewhat related story to share. I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU, which necessitated a windows 10 reinstall. This made me appreciate how few programs I actually need installed. Most of them have almost no personalization footprint or can be installed in a portable installation and are freeware. Brave browser, Notepad++, VLC, qbittorrent, FastStone Image viewer, 7zip. The only licensed software (read unethical spyware unless cracked) is some older version of Photoshop for when I need some simple edits, but I digress.

I found that I have two different Witcher 3 installs on my PC, set up with mods, sitting in their folders, which would remain immutable forever, regardless of how many windows reinstalls I make, because they came from the GOG installer and were DRM-free. It's just such a good feeling to be able to reinstall windows, or practically take your storage drive and plug it into a different motherboard and have your games functioning. That's how PCs were meant to work, I'm convinced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom