Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Cannot wait for this.

Also, will be cool to mod out out that token art and replace it with some Trampier and Sutherland III scans

PrettyDeadman

I remember being hella sceptical about the maptools look of the game with the tokens and all (by which I mean it looked like ass) when I saw it for the first time, but with the added effects and stuff it's actually starting to look decent.

I'd still rather have it look like the first game, but so it goes.

I'm starting to warm up to this more than the first game, look-wise. I'm thinking there're are more possibilities for gameplay-implementation when you can make assets so far. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game's artstyle anyway.

Game looks really cool on these latest shots.

EDIT: Just the amount of creatures on the shot above looks like fun.
Game looks pretty good in motion.
I think he needs to add a bit more clarity though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I remember being hella sceptical about the maptools look of the game with the tokens and all (by which I mean it looked like ass) when I saw it for the first time, but with the added effects and stuff it's actually starting to look decent.

I'd still rather have it look like the first game, but so it goes.

I just hope it's playable, because so far, screens are confusing as hell, he should push KS to march or something ...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pierre's talking about some samurai and about whirlwind attack but i only see some tokens or some shit??????

Jinn

Arcane
The digital board-game aesthetic is just not a good choice. I think it's going to make raising money for the Kickstarter extremely difficult, and obviously make for slow sales if it's released.

Also, release the first game on Steam and GoG for the love of God. He really does seem to hate money. Come on, Pierre. We need you staying strong and eating things besides roots so you can continue making RPGs. I feel like we could even do a fundraiser on the codex to cover the initial Steam fee to get the game on there or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting your game on Steam is like a license to print money.

But I guess his economic sense tells him that printing money will lead to inflation or something so he refuses to make more of it since that would devalue it

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The digital board-game aesthetic is just not a good choice. I think it's going to make raising money for the Kickstarter extremely difficult, and obviously make for slow sales if it's released.

Also, release the first game on Steam and GoG for the love of God. He really does seem to hate money. Come on, Pierre. We need you staying strong and eating things besides roots so you can continue making RPGs. I feel like we could even do a fundraiser on the codex to cover the initial Steam fee to get the game on there or something.
I agree that it isn't good for financial reasons. Though I'm not sure if it's any worse than the first KotC was in that regard. Many people on the Codex were repulsed by that weird perspective. Imagine elsewhere. So KotC 2 boardgame-like graphics might actually not be worse marketing-wise compared to the first game.
However there is also a bright side to all this. If (and that's an if) he can release the game despite its looks, the lack of graphics will act as a filter against retards who could in turn potentially push Pierre towards decline. A game like this remaining as niche as possible has its advantages. I hope.

Jinn

Arcane
I actually like the graphics in the first game a lot. Reminds me of Ultima 6 and 7.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I actually like the graphics in the first game a lot. Reminds me of Ultima 6 and 7.
I didn't mind KotC graphics myself (though I dislike Ultima 7). But I know that many people did mind. If that holds true here on the Codex, it probably wasn't better elsewhere. And many will mind boardgame-like graphics as well. But will KotC2 graphics have a worse reception than KotC graphics had? I'm not sure about that.
Still it would be nice if he made it with say Vogel's level of graphics.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I didn't mind KotC graphics myself (though I dislike Ultima 7). But I know that many people did mind. If that holds true here on the Codex, it probably wasn't better elsewhere. And many will mind boardgame-like graphics as well. But will KotC2 graphics have a worse reception than KotC graphics had? I'm not sure about that.

You might be right, he may be visionary and inspire game designers for years to come, no more IE-like bullshit, boardgames visuals for PK2, PoE3 and DOS3 !

Still, isn't the fireball quite slow in the video ?
I hope it's just his antique 486 computer running on windows 3.1 ... :roll:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

You might be right, he may be visionary and inspire game designers for years to come, no more IE-like bullshit, boardgames visuals for PK2, PoE3 and DOS3 !

Still, isn't the fireball quite slow in the video ?
I hope it's just his antique 486 computer running on windows 3.1 ... :roll:
Want sarcasm? Here you go:
Obviously Pierre can afford visuals on IE level. Yes that must be it. Pierre had to chose between making the game look like an "IE-like" or a boardgame-like and he chose the latter. No other explanation possible. :smug:

Seriously now, I was comparing it to KotC1 graphics. Which is a relevant comparison, unlike - you know - IE games. You won't tell me KotC1 level of graphics are actually selling any games?

Also I do think it's at least an interesting take at presentation of a CRPG. And might allow to include a lot more content that it would otherwise because you don't need to do any 3D models for player classes, monsters, etc... Think about the modding potential.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, in a perfect world, it won't be slow at all and it'll be heavily mod-friendly with a lot of content already.
Then, he'll become filthy rich and buy a root's farm.

Let's cross our fingers and relay the information everywhere when his KS starts.

Mustawd

So KotC 2 boardgame-like graphics might actually not be worse marketing-wise compared to the first game.

At the very least it has potential to make it look like Fantasy Grounds or Roll 20 if you wanna swap out assets.

ss_6ca7b3702a86543d0f24980a456d6acde3fd768d.1920x1080.jpg

Wounded-Warriors-tavern-basement.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I would have been happy with only a new campaign and maybe a few new classes, but blaming him for trying to make an easily usable turn-based 3.5 D&D engine (including completely reworking the art style to the related board game aesthetic) would be ridiculous, judging by KOTC1 the guy is competent so it's possible that this ends up being what we've been craving to.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The token art style is really growing on me. It accomplishes the graffix task perfectly, setting you up to have just enough context to visualize the game so you can dedicate the majority of the work to the gameplay mechanics and maps. I hope he keeps it like that, it's a really quick casual filter.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Well yes of course, but that doesn't fit with the required edge around here.

He is an eccentric who happened to deliver arguably the best combination of TB combat and competent encounter design to date on PC. Let him have his quirks.

Mustawd

Well yes of course, but that doesn't fit with the required edge around here.

He is an eccentric who happened to deliver arguably the best combination of TB combat and competent encounter design to date on PC. Let him have his quirks.

I mean tbf I think most people are simply pointing out how retarded some of his business decisions have been. Like he probably could have made a sequel of KOTC with the current engine and done it much faster before moving on to this project. Sure it would have been delayed a bit, but not more than a year.

Wasting the current assets/engine when your core fanbase wanted more is just silly IMO. But honestly this game is going to be gud too, so I’m not really complaining too much.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that we are discussing if he managed worse graphics than KOTC(1) is ... scary. They were pretty bad. What I especially hated though was the font used :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom