Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Fallen Gods

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We'll regret not selling that Skald soon enough.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
fg1022.jpg

fg1023.jpg

You decided to offer your, ahem, help.

god1.png
Woohoo! Party hard!

fg1024.jpg

"wild mourners"

More lore for the bargain (not really) price of 1 day and 10 gold. The options look kinda ass, so I pick Eldblood, which sounds special.

fg1026.jpg

Looks interesting

fg1027.jpg

But it's in an unfortunately placed part of the world where we have no real means of fast travel. Too bad because it seems like there's much to do there.

fg1028.jpg

Since some of you declared that the wurm should be fed, I go into this charming grove nearby to get hunting bonuses, and do DAS HUNT.

fg1029.jpg

Hunting once doesn't quite cut it because it'll still take us 2 days of hunger to reach the wurm's cave. Each party member eats 1 fud at the end of the day. So I hunt again.

fg1031.jpg

Onward!

fg1032.jpg

god1.png
Sup, bro, told you I'd be back. You can always trust me, yo!

fg1033.jpg

We heard that he has the Helm of Awe in his hoard, which sounds like a p. good thing to take, so I pick the "dwerg-werk".

fg1035.jpg

Our skald's reaction to these proceedings is a little negative for some reason.

fg1036.jpg

+5 souls is pretty good for just 3 events.

fg1037.jpg

The Helm of Awe is amazing. It gives you a small defence bonus and also makes nearly all threats checks auto-succeed, which can be a godsend for a wimp like Naughty Ninny. The only drawback is that it caps your followers' morale at 4, which is why the skald went zomg! after we got it.

Also, with wits 8 + skald and the helm, we pretty much have both Words and Threats firmly in the bag now, making us the god of diplomacy.

fg1038.jpg

We've seen this event before.

fg1039.jpg

"Speak to him" costs 1 soul and gives "Lore" which seems like a terrible deal for us at this point, "Search the body" is "Gold, Bane, Naught" and highlights wits. Naturally, I pick that.

fg1042.jpg

Das luck!

fg1043.jpg

Das rite!

fg1044.jpg

Note that in the previous game we got Wandering Shoes rather than gold in this event. Tricksy.

fg1045.jpg

Anything over here?

fg1046.jpg

Nope. Damn, we're hitting some incredibly boring towns in this playthrough.

Seeing how fed up I am with wasting days on hunting, I buy 42 fud for 7 geld, then seek the steading's only tidings:

fg1048.jpg

Alas, pretty damn far away.

fg1049.jpg

Leaving the steading, we find our old buddy Karringar along the way. Let's say hi.

fg1050.jpg

This time we have no maiden to lead us, so we'll have to do this the hard way. Going up highlights wits and Hornberk, so it should be a formality.

fg1052.jpg

fg1053.jpg

:what:

This seems too stupid to reroll, so let's be manly about it.

fg1054.jpg

In fact, we get a free reroll! But this time the fail blurb for soldiering on is 'Cold' rather than just 'Delay'.

fg1056.jpg

fg1057.jpg

:dance:

fg1058.jpg

Free gold is nice as always. Let's hear her out.

fg1059.jpg

god1.png
Two hundredweight of gold is no light load.

It isn't. And with 34 days left, I'm pretty sure it's outside our reach. Still, might as well hedge our bets... for now. Taking her deal.

fg1061.jpg

Yeah, I'll see ya.

fg1062.jpg

Finally our journey leads us to the evil flat-earthers.

fg1063.jpg

*dramatic drumroll*

fg1064.jpg

god1.png
Commies... I hate these guys.

I ask for tidings before going off to meet the First.

fg1065.jpg

u wot

Let's go on then.

fg1066.jpg

god1.png
I don't think you know who you're talking to, "friend". Also, if you're the First's significant Other, then you're all homos and I will treat you accordingly.

Giving away all our food and gold is out of the question. However, telling them to fuck off highlights might and the Helm of Awe (with "Headway" as blurb), so this should be gud.

fg1069.jpg

*glare*

fg1070.jpg

god1.png
Scatter, sheep!

fg1071.jpg

Go go go!

fg1072.jpg

OMG PLOT TWISTS

fg1074.jpg

god1.png
Though Fraener must fall, I have no hope of besting him here.

Yep, the commie leader is Fraener, the great dragon of old, and one of the Firstborn that were stomped by the god's kin. Apparently he's now preparing a revolution against the established order.

Now what could he want?

fg1079.jpg

god1.png
A dwerg helm of fear? No sir, never even heard of it *adjusts golden headwear*

"Give him the helm" is "Doom". "Dare a doomed strike" is "Death" and probably suicide. "Leave for now" is "Naught".

Let's leave for now... still hedging our bets.

fg1081.jpg

god1.png
Only a jarl might raise men enough to fight such a foe.

:shredder:

fg1083.jpg

Well men, we have only 32 days left, and a bunch of leads on victory, few of which appear very feasible.

- We have the Songbridge lore but only 7 souls out of the needed 30. Technically there are three unexplored dungeons still on the map, and two of them are big, but it's unlikely they'll yield us 23 souls unless they allow some really BOLD DEEDS.
- Likewise we have only 48 out of the 200 gold we need for Karringar. Impossible at this point.
- We can try going to the castle and asking the jarl for help against Fraener. The castle is decently close by, but will the jarl hear us out?
- We can also do a dick move and give the Helm of Awe to Fraener, but we might as well see more of the world first for the time we have left.

Contemplate these big goals, while also considering where we can go now. I see two general directions for us, northwest and southwest:

fg1084.jpg

Northwest is that dead-end peninsula with a lot of unexplored shit. There are two barrows, two steadings, an unknown cave and a shrine to be had here, with the following descriptions on what we know:

fg1085.jpg

Meanwhile southwest:

fg1090.jpg

We'd be going past an unknown shrine to the castle, then an unknown steading, and maybe a big scary cave with Deadblade at the bottom, to finally end up in another town or haul ass somewhere else entirely depending on how we stand with time. Note that our party is still pretty shitty and the big scary cave might turn out too scary for us.

The very rock yawns in anticipation of your next fascinating move.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well becoming a lich/wight whatever and living forever draining the living seems like a fine ending for evil trickster god!

I also vote for the northern route.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well becoming a lich/wight whatever and living forever draining the living seems like a fine ending for evil trickster god!

I also vote for the northern route.
I agree. Let's go North and if all fails let's become the greatest ass by befriending the enemy of our kin.

lightbane

Arcane
The commie guy is a monster that wants to ruin the world. What did the dev mean with this? Obviously, join him, and go whatever. I wonder if he'll backstab you.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
North and this.
The commie guy is a monster that wants to ruin the world. ... Obviously, join him, and go whatever.

I think that nordic god fighting evil commies is turbo retarded. From the god's position both peasant and king are iceniggers, capitalism is haram fit only for dwarves and all decent folks, maybe even some women, get the same treatment in Valhalla.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The point is that ultimately the commies will be going after you, and the FG world also has a very strict social hierarchy as imposed by Orm himself (he is king of the gods and men).

Also there's no real Valhalla - Skyhold is strictly reserved for the Ormfolk.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The point is that ultimately the commies will be going after you, and the FG world also has a very strict social hierarchy as imposed by Orm himself (he is king of the gods and men).

Also there's no real Valhalla - Skyhold is strictly reserved for the Ormfolk.
Wow fuck that guy then, OPPRESSED MASSES RISE UP.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
The point is that ultimately the commies will be going after you
The puny humies are not a threat!

and the FG world also has a very strict social hierarchy as imposed by Orm himself
Yes. Like in all medieval (predominantly kinship-based) societies. Both communism and capitalism in their modern sense (incl. communism as it's represented by flat-earthers) wouldn't have looked reasonable to those folk.
Premodern pops had communistic ideas (from Jesus and kibbutzes to Fraticelli, etc.), but they generally weren't messianic in the way it's portrayed in the game and they never advocated for total equality.
The dragon seems to have dumbness aura, it's good that we have that tinfoil helmet.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Yes. Like in all medieval (predominantly kinship-based) societies. Both communism and capitalism in their modern sense (incl. communism as it's represented by flat-earthers) wouldn't have looked reasonable to those folk.
Premodern pops had communistic ideas (from Jesus and kibbutzes to Fraticelli, etc.), but they generally weren't messianic in the way it's portrayed in the game and they never advocated for total equality.
The dragon seems to have dumbness aura, it's good that we have that tinfoil helmet.

Dulcinians tho.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
fg1095.jpg

You don't say!

fg1096.jpg

Let's check if there's anything of note in this hillstead first.

fg1097.jpg

Das rite, it's fucking nothing.

fg1098.jpg

Gossip reveals info about a nearby runestone.

god1.png
As if I need Orm's stinking blessings.

fg1099.jpg

lmao imagine listening to a wom*n speak

While in the village, I spend some cash on a lotta food.

fg1100.jpg

And off we go into yonder barrow.

fg1101.jpg

fg1102.jpg

churl1.png
I don't like the look of that.

We can try entering this suspicious barrow ourselves (Gift, Ill, Blood, no highlight) or send any follower in (Gift, Naught, Death). The follower highlight is Speed, and since all our bros are slowpokes, might as well do it ourselves.

fg1106.jpg

!

fg1107.jpg

ayyyy

fg1108.jpg

:hmmm:

This time Speed is highlighted for grabbing any of the goods, and the blurbs are Gift/Gold, Death, which sounds very promising!

god1.png
The chest is mine!

fg1112.jpg

wiking.jpg

fg1113.jpg

But of course

fg1114.jpg

Neato.

fg1115.jpg

skald1.png
Better to sing of such a shirt than to wear it.

The Ormshird Byrnie is a pretty trashy armour item that gives +1 defence and das it. Hornberk is strongly superior to it in every way.

Since Orm used to give this to his most trusted mens, there is only one logical thing we could possibly do with it.

fg1118.jpg

And that, of course, is giving it to Hrodi the churl. I would have expected the fighters to be more bothered by it, but they must also see the unshakeable logic behind this gift.

fg1119.jpg

Next stop: unknown cave.

fg1120.jpg

fg1121.jpg

Ominous!

"The path forks and twists beneath the earth" ahead.

fg1123.jpg

Where are the road signs in this place?

Taking either path gives blurb "Stone". "True path" is headway but costs 1 soul for Foresight. Seeing that we have resources to spare but are short on days, I pick the Foresight override.

god1.png
I go where I please!

fg1127.jpg

Next up: "Bold men seek to make gold from a wight's woe."

fg1129.jpg

Idiots will bring the wights upon us if we don't do something about this.

"Tell them to stop" is Fear + highlight Helm of Awe. "Kill the wight" is Blood. "Give them gold" is unacceptable. "Leave them" is, interestingly enough, Blood.

I could just tell them to fuck off, but there's clearly a more naughty way of handling this, therefore I kill the wight.

fg1135.jpg

It appears they didn't like that :lol:

TO BATTLE!

fg1137.jpg

Funny, the last battle we had was actually 60 days ago (!), and we fled from it immediately. Truly this has been a very pacifistic run.

fg1138.jpg

Anyway, these miners are all scrublord churls, so we should have no problem whacking them.

fg1140.jpg

fg1141.jpg

Followers like the skald are great for picking off stragglers with 1% hp left.

fg1143.jpg

Eymund pokes his second churl to death.

fg1144.jpg

And so we win with minimal damage taken. Note the raven landed on the top churl - it feasts on valid corpses and gives the god 1 hp back after a fight. Very useful for preventing stupid attrition.

fg1145.jpg

No loot to be found on these churls, but being a dick is its own reward!

Next: "The cave goes on."

fg1147.jpg

And indeed it does.

Next: "The tunnels rumble with grumbling about a great need for gold."

You know what that means...

fg1149.jpg

Yep, an encounter with cave gypsies.

"Warn him to make way" is "Headway, Curse" even though it highlights the Helm. Unfortunately its autowinning powers usually work only against men. "Trick him into taking less" is "Trickery, Wandering" with wits highlight. I ain't paying him no toll, and giving him nothing is likewise "Wandering".

I trust Naughty Ninny's 8 wits more than his 4 might even with the Helm, so I opt to trick dis dwerg.

fg1154.jpg

Ring-a-dinga-ding, baby

fg1155.jpg

High wits is the best shit.

fg1156.jpg

skald2.png
Well done, indeed.

:smug:

(please ignore the artifacts in the text)

Next stop: "A pack of wights seek to bury the gold they've gathered".

Sounds like a fight is brewing ahead, so I leave and rest one day to get everyone up to 100% hp.

fg1161.jpg

And back in we gooooooo.

fg1163.jpg

Kill them: "Blood"
Gib ur gold: "Blessing"

It goes without saying that no one's getting my hard and perfectly legitimately earned gold! CHARGE!

fg1166.jpg

M U R D E R

fg1167.jpg

Hmmmm...

fg1169.jpg

Pretty sure we should win this, although they've got us outnumbered. The armoured wights appear roughly equal to our fighters, but since we got the drop on them, that should even the odds nicely.

fg1171.jpg

I opt to engage the armoured wights with fighters while sending the god to quickly dispatch one of the weaker wights.

fg1172.jpg

After that Hrodi and Eymund take care of the other weak wight. Hopefully this mobbing will make the other armoured wights go after the god and fighters.

fg1173.jpg

The turn passes, god kills his wight dead and is engaged by another.

fg1175.jpg

But then another jumps to engage Hrodi while the second weak wight is clubbed dead. Unfortunate, because that means Hrodi is dead meat. I tell Eymund to support a fighter.

fg1179.jpg

We've got half of them down. Hrodi predictably hits the dirt. He didn't enjoy that magic shirt for too long.

fg1181.jpg

More punishment is administered.

fg1182.jpg

The final asshole starts yelling.

fg1183.jpg

Which brings him reinforcements. That's not what I needed now.

fg1184.jpg

Because the god is now engaged by the shit wight, and I really wanted to bumrush the final armoured one before he kills the fighter.

fg1186.jpg

Unfortunately we have no such luck as Torgeir is clawed to death.

fg1188.jpg

All in all, not a bad outcome. Note that the raven doesn't fly down to feast this time, because these wights are not tasty enough.

fg1189.jpg

Though 17 gold for two dead dudes is not a good outcome either :negative:

Still, I invested way too much into these idiots to just let them rot here. Therefore, I use my GODLIKE POWERS AND RAISE THEM FROM THE DEAD, for the bargain price of 1 soul each.

fg1191.jpg

The dungeon pinata scores us a net +1 soul (-1 for foresight in tunnels, -2 from rezzing dudes)

Mission accomplished.

fg1192.jpg

Since everyone's badly beaten up, I rest for two days to get them back up to speed.

fg1194.jpg

After which we proceed to this barrow.

fg1195.jpg

Can't even scare them away. Sad!

But no matter, emboldened by the last EXTRAORDINARY VICTORY, Naughty Ninny rushes headfirst into the battle!

fg1196.jpg

They don't look like much, but there's a lot of them.

fg1197.jpg

The wights were stronger for sure, though these two fast thieves are a nuisance.

fg1198.jpg

The outlaws p. much all get first strike on us.

fg1200.jpg

First two kills.

fg1201.jpg

Amazingly enough, with Eymund's support, Hrodi the churl is actually going to win against that outlaw woodsman.

fg1202.jpg

Yep, the woodsman goes down with his skull staved in. Talk about a great investment with that Ormshird Byrnie!

fg1204.jpg

The god kills the last outlaw, and we're victorious.

fg1205.jpg

:dance:

fg1206.jpg

I rest for another day to let these suckers heal up.

fg1207.jpg

Next time we'll investigate this weirdo glowing tree which smells of HERESY.

fg1208.jpg

And after that, we'll probably make a full circle through the shrine and hillstead to finally return to Fraener.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom