Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MASS EFFECT 5 - yes or no

Mass Effect 5:

• Yes
  • No
  • MEH

I enjoyed the first 3 lot at the time when they came out, but like others have said I really don't think the team remaining at the studio is capable of putting out anything worth a shit as displayed by the shit trifecta of Inquisition, Andromeda and Anthem.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I have to go with "no, fuck no!".
ME1 had a lighthearted somewhat campy charme that would not work anymore, and ME2 brought 80s buddy movie into the mix. Halfway into ME3 however they went for a dark and edgy theme culminating into the infamous ending.
Bioware did not understand what went wrong and what made ME good anymore.
At that point the tumblr faction saw their chance to finally take over and force their "SJW, hot guys ugly womyn" agenda into the game and bringing a massive lack of skills to table, leading to Andromederp. Better to forget Anthem alltogether.

Obsidian fills that niche with TOW now, no need for Bioware to embarrass themselves even more.

In 10 years Bethesda will pick the IP up and make a GOTY mobile game out of it or smth. :obviously:

Now that I think of it, didn't they get acquired by EA between Inquisition and whatever they'd released prior?

Mystery solved.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Surprisingly, EA already swallowed Bioware in 2007/2008, which is actually between Jade Empire and ME1. So at best they were responsible for focussing on the shitbox console.

The two founders however said "Fuck this shit I'm out!" right after the ME3 debacle, so maybe already Inquisishun, but definitely Andromederp happened without their influence.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Andromeda was made by Bioware Montreal which was a different studio and it was folded once the game flopped.

Prime Junta

Inquisishun, but definitely Andromederp

It's funny though how the two games fail in diametrically opposed ways. Gameplay in Inquisition is so bad it puts you off the entire idea of gameplay, but story, writing, lore, dialogue, companions etc are quite good really, as is voice acting, animation, facial expressions and so on. Whereas Andromeda has quite decent gameplay really but everything remotely writing-related is just godawful, oh and my face is tired.

If their next effort has gameplay on par with Andromeda and writing/voice acting/etc on par with Inquisition it could be quite good.

Most likely it'll be the other way around tho

Gameplay in Inquisition is so bad it puts you off the entire idea of gameplay, but story, writing, lore, dialogue, companions etc are quite good really, as is voice acting, animation, facial expressions and so on.

I always had mixed feelings about DAI but I think this sums it up better than I'd be able to.

Also, thanks for the clarification RE: EA acquisition dates. Actually surprised to learn they managed to put out some solid games under their yoke.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't remember Inquisition all that well but I remember the story was disappointing/unfinished. Also that there was no siege on Skyhold, I kept waiting for that to happen all game long.

ofc they say some DLC finishes the story but fuck that.

eggdogg

Learned
Not really. Lets be real, destiny 2 is probably worlds better than any future ME game.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I've raged over ME2 almost as much as I've raged over the Ultima series, but if they could channel the slightly retro future mystery theme (I always think of Forbidden Planet when I play it) and hot tentacle action of the first game and the gameplay and ass physics of the second then I think I'd give it a go. Time enough has passed since the third game that most of the wounds have healed. What, there was a fourth?

Tytus

Arcane
I say no - do another IP instead.

ME was great, peaked with ME2, ended with ME3, Andromeda was a mistake, just leave this one be.

ME was great it peaked with ME1, started going downhill with ME2, ended with ME3.
Fixed that for you.

Now that I think of it, didn't they get acquired by EA between Inquisition and whatever they'd released prior?

Mystery solved.

Yeah like it was already said in the thread. The development of SFX (which was renamed to Mass Effect) and Dragon Age were dragging on and their burn rate was pretty high. They were running out of money fast. Jade Empire was the game that was going to save them and fuel further development of ME and DA. But it didn't meet the financial requirements they needed. So the doctors really had no choice at that point. They had to agree to the EA buyout or close the company in the near future. Thing is most of ME and DAO were already done when EA bought them so EAs meddling in those games were limited. But it really started to show with ME2 and DA2. ME2 turning into shooter with RPG flavouring and DA2 which was going to be a spin off game - was forced to be change into a sequel a rushed out the door in 19 months.

Andromeda was made by Bioware Montreal which was a different studio and it was folded once the game flopped.

Bioware at some point had four studious.

Bioware Edmonton - A-Team
Bioware Montreal - which handled things like ME3 mulitplayer or DLCs.
Bioware Austin - The Old Republic
Bioware Victory - This one was going to make that C&C reboot.

But now it's just Edmonton and what is left of Austin still standing (though Austin probably won't be here for long).

If DA4 flops there are probably going to shut the whole thing down and let some other EA studio finish the development of ME. Like Motive or something.

Inquisishun, but definitely Andromederp

It's funny though how the two games fail in diametrically opposed ways. Gameplay in Inquisition is so bad it puts you off the entire idea of gameplay, but story, writing, lore, dialogue, companions etc are quite good really, as is voice acting, animation, facial expressions and so on. Whereas Andromeda has quite decent gameplay really but everything remotely writing-related is just godawful, oh and my face is tired.

If their next effort has gameplay on par with Andromeda and writing/voice acting/etc on par with Inquisition it could be quite good.

Most likely it'll be the other way around tho

I know you're a Vatnik but lay off the vodka for once.
Inquisition was a mess when to the story and lore. Especially the lore. They retconned so much of to hell it's barely the same universe anymore.
Like the Qunari - in DA1 and DA2 they are as conservative as you can get, even Sten asks you why would anybody want to be something different than they are. But somehow in DA3 they have a word for transgendered people and accept them without question.
The entire main quest which had only like 12-13 quests were a total mess. And felt really disjointed. Not to mention the presentation of it was piss poor. Like the whole siege of Warden stronghold - it was supposed to be this big battle but was presented as a small skirmish.
DAO did this 50x better. And the character of Sera was just fanfic level writing.

I'd like a Deus Ex like game in the setting, the universe is big enough and has many interesting locations that a agent could travel through.

So much potential for this kind of thing, but the "OMG IT'S NOT LIKE THE LAST ONE I LOVED!!!" types throwing hissy fits stop us from having nice things.

Or they could go XCOM Chimera Squad route. Make a smaller game about C-Sec. Play as a policeman on the station, pick a species, create a character, solve crimes, fuck aliens and go to planets that are close to the Citadel like the human colony Bekenstein, Where you would pursue further cases you started on the Citadel.

I'd like a Deus Ex like game in the setting, the universe is big enough and has many interesting locations that a agent could travel through. It has enough aspects that would work great for such a game, like mega cities, mega corporations, biotech, etc. On a second thought, i simply want another Deus Ex like game, i don't care for the setting but i think the Mass Effect setting could work well. No saving the whole galaxy anymore please.

Sadly mondern Deus Ex games don't live up to the potential of the original either.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
I've raged over ME2 almost as much as I've raged over the Ultima series, but if they could channel the slightly retro future mystery theme (I always think of Forbidden Planet when I play it) and hot tentacle action of the first game and the gameplay and ass physics of the second then I think I'd give it a go. Time enough has passed since the third game that most of the wounds have healed. What, there was a fourth?

ME's main strength was basically taking all of the tropes from popular Sci-fi from the 70-90s and squishing them together. You had Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Ender's Game, Dune etc. all in one bag. That was great. Sadly they ejected it later so they could have super heroes in space instead. ME2 was the main offender because it started happening there. You had on your team a Cyber-Jesus, Super Biotic, Perfect Woman, Perfect Krogan, Batman of Omega, Super Unique Better then every other Geth platform, Genius Doctor House and Jacob. That mix of space opera and somewhat of a grounded setting was gone. And they never looked back.

Falksi

Arcane
I still enjoy ME1 from time to time, but everything else in the series is pretty shit.

It's like the Dragon Age series - 1 good game, several shit spin offs not even in the same league as the original.

It'd be nice to think that another ME game as charming & well balanced as the first could happen, but it won't.

ME's main strength was basically taking all of the tropes from popular Sci-fi from the 70-90s and squishing them together. You had Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Ender's Game, Dune etc. all in one bag. That was great. Sadly they ejected it later so they could have super heroes in space instead. ME2 was the main offender because it started happening there. You had on your team a Cyber-Jesus, Super Biotic, Perfect Woman, Perfect Krogan, Batman of Omega, Super Unique Better then every other Geth platform, Genius Doctor House and Jacob. That mix of space opera and somewhat of a grounded setting was gone. And they never looked back.

Absolutely perfect summary.

I enjoyed ME2's buddy premise, but the game itself was pretty awful. The "super-hero" aspect I could live with, but the game focussed too much on the heroes themselves and not the mission.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
ME2 was the main offender because it started happening there. You had on your team a Cyber-Jesus, Super Biotic, Perfect Woman, Perfect Krogan, Batman of Omega, Super Unique Better then every other Geth platform, Genius Doctor House and Jacob. That mix of space opera and somewhat of a grounded setting was gone. And they never looked back.

And those characters are still 1000% times better than modern BioWare companions. Instead of having super heroes, now you have lame, ugly millennials that no one cares about (Andromeda).

Tytus

Arcane
ME2 was the main offender because it started happening there. You had on your team a Cyber-Jesus, Super Biotic, Perfect Woman, Perfect Krogan, Batman of Omega, Super Unique Better then every other Geth platform, Genius Doctor House and Jacob. That mix of space opera and somewhat of a grounded setting was gone. And they never looked back.

And those characters are still 1000% times better than modern BioWare companions. Instead of having super heroes, now you have lame, ugly millennials that no one cares about (Andromeda).

Wf0LPhp.jpg

That's true and this what are we going to get for ME5 too.
But that's not exclusive to Mass Effect.
ME1-ME3 were basically made before everyone MCU style of storytelling got popular now everyone western entertainment company is trying to copy it.

Andromeda was a example of this too.
If ME1 was done today the scene where you recruit Liara that in ME1 everyone one pissed, tense and trying to escape with their lives in fear of getting buried alive as the mine is brought down on them would look something like this:

Your team is escaping shouting almost laughing while everything is crumbling around them and the mountain is coming down on them.
Team Member #1 - Well this is a rocky situation!
Team Member #2 - Yeah, you could say this is heavy!
Player Character - Joker! Get here quicker! I don't know what's worse the mine falling apart or your puns!

Yuck, yuck - they ran out breathing heavily, everyone has a good laugh and everything is fine. They later discuss transgender issues on the Citadel.

Joss Whedon and his manchild style of storytelling basically infected everything right now. Bathos - this anti-climax must be everywhere. It's like they are afraid they can't write a tense and serious scene and feel the need to undercut everything with humour. Just to disguise their inability to process anything like an adult. And maybe judging how the actual serious scenes turned they can't write those scenes. They aren't emotionally developed enough to write something that wouldn't fit in a Saturday morning cartoon so they hide behind humour. Just like Whedon. The worst thing about it that these SJW writers think this is actually good writing.

And this thing started to creep into ME3 as well. But weren't as prevalent as it was in Andromeda.

Xeon

Augur
If they make another ME, I hope they start over again and not do another sequel to Andromeda, I disliked the characters and the story and everything, gameplay and the old Krogan was the only thing that were good about it iirc.

Also please Krogan protag ffs.

Tytus

Arcane
If they make another ME, I hope they start over again and not do another sequel to Andromeda, I disliked the characters and the story and everything, gameplay and the old Krogan was the only thing that were good about it iirc.

I think Andromeda as a setting is dead and buried at this point. Especially that Andromeda DLC's were cancelled and some were turned into ebooks nobody read.
But you never know. Maybe they will double down.

But hey sometime ago they added this Mass Effect Tapestry to EA archives (Dragon Age had that too)
So now you can create and import a save for any future Mass Effect game without actually having to replay them.

https://masseffectarchives.com/pl_PL/worldvault/

So any potential sidequel, midquel and spin off taking place in Milky Way can (if they want to) take into consideration what you've done in the trilogy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
After Andromeda.....i just can't say no lol. That shit provided entertainment for at least two months,i haven't played game that managed to entertain me that much time.
Just have a look lol

SentimentalBrilliantEyas-max-1mb.gif

BossyVariableAfricanaugurbuzzard-size_restricted.gif

Mass_4f43f3_6219946.gif

tumblr_olycxgTChG1qzm8mpo1_540.gif

giphy.gif

Tytus

Arcane
On the topic of graphics I never understood what the hell they were thinking with the color palette. Especially that pre-release build looked so much better. Just look at this.

7WrnK5e.png

And now the actual game they released.

pvp6c92.jpg

Those original Krogan looked so much better. Like you know actual Krogan. The one we got is like someone at Montreal gave this to a 15 year old who just discovered Cyberpunk as a genre or wanted to make them looks like some undead out of WoW.

What were they thinking?!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Andromeda is deader than Anthem (which is dead as fuck despite any news of a relaunch).

Nobody has the quads to make a game about a brutish warrior race struggling to rebuild their civilization. While the premise isn't the most unique, I would vastly prefer it to whatever zombie game they actually make for ME5.

Tytus

Arcane
Andromeda is deader than Anthem (which is dead as fuck despite any news of a relaunch).

Hey! Hey! Anthem 2.0 is coming. Just you wait! It will blow your socks, gloves and anti China-coof mask off!

Nobody has the quads to make a game about a brutish warrior race struggling to rebuild their civilization.

They never will make something like that. They would be accused of making a game that is a racist allegory about black people :P

Zariusz

Arbiter
Maybe if its going to be Ass Effect 5.

Bioware needs to die, their last decent content was 10 years ago, i dont believe that this studio can create anything good anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom