Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Wilds (aka MH6) - speculations, launches early 2025

Perkel

Arcane
Ah yes, the main thing we all enjoy the Monster Hunter series for, the graphics!

Just because they didn't improve graphics for 20 years earlier it doesn't mean they shouldn't now.
One of the reasons why MHW is so enjoyable to play is that it doesn't looks like a fucking potato from 2002 which was the case for older games.

And with better graphics they also improved animations because you can't have good looking game with clunky animations.
They also added ton of verticality, walls etc. that are used by monsters and players which is also direct result of increasing fidelity and them wanting to make good looking living and breathing maps.

One of the best features of MHW was also ecosystem where monsters weren't just targets but had their own life, slept, ate, drunk water, fought with other monsters etc. It feels great to see Anja just chilling out on that bank in ancient forest. Or seeing mighty diablos just chilling eating cactusses because diablos is herbivore. + ton of endemic life.

Turf wars anyone ? Another beloved feature. Instead of ankward bonk from one to other monster you have now proper well animated, directed fights.

Previously MH games just didn't have fidelity to do it.

----

MH Rise stripped all of that and it was shit compared to MHW. IT felt like it lacked soul MHW had.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Just award this GOTY 2025 already. Nothing is going to compete with this beast. Every new detail I see impresses tf out of me.

I would actually consider buying a physical collector's edition if Crapcom was smart enough to offer one.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just because they didn't improve graphics for 20 years earlier it doesn't mean they shouldn't now.
One of the reasons why MHW is so enjoyable to play is that it doesn't looks like a fucking potato from 2002 which was the case for older games.
While you're not wrong, there's also an argument to be made for using crappier graphics to make it easier (and have more spare budget for) implementing more monsters and more attacks and other behaviour variety for those monsters. Gameplay is king. MHW actually felt rather lacking in that regard, with so many boring flying monsters instead of weird creative stuff like Khezu or the hermit crabs.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
While you're not wrong, there's also an argument to be made for using crappier graphics to make it easier (and have more spare budget for) implementing more monsters and more attacks and other behaviour variety for those monsters. Gameplay is king. MHW actually felt rather lacking in that regard, with so many boring flying monsters instead of weird creative stuff like Khezu or the hermit crabs.
MHW is the only good Monster Hunter. Why was the franchise so niche for so long before MHW? Because they all SUCKED!!! Nobody cared about Monster Hunter until World came out and thank god for that. So much wasted potential that finally became realized.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
MHW is the only good Monster Hunter. Why was the franchise so niche for so long before MHW? Because they all SUCKED!!! Nobody cared about Monster Hunter until World came out and thank god for that. So much wasted potential that finally became realized.
MHW it´s not even the best MH, let alone the only good one.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Oh RLY?! Which is the best one Mr. wise guy? I can already feel the anticipation in the room.
I mean he made right question.
I played all of them and imho MHW is the best MH out there.
I played pretty much all of them bar shitty online ones.

MH4 would be second place.
Of course World is the best one. Nobody gave a fuck about the series until it came out, and now Monster Hunter in one of the biggest franchises on earth. And all it took was making the formula less retarded. It was like the opposite of decline. The anti-decline.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh RLY?! Which is the best one Mr. wise guy? I can already feel the anticipation in the room.

Of course World is the best one. Nobody gave a fuck about the series until it came out, and now Monster Hunter in one of the biggest franchises on earth. And all it took was making the formula less retarded. It was like the opposite of decline. The anti-decline.
Yes of course, just like with Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Nobody in the West gave a fuck about the series, SDG. Big difference. It was already one of the most popular franchises in Japan. It's a workplace meme/in-joke in Japan that employees would always take time off work to play the new Monster Hunter.

World was made specifically to target western audiences. This is even reflected in the story with the Commission travelling to the "New World" and the more American character designs. And also with the Handler having the same appetite as your average American.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Monster hunter world filtered me with all the foot print tracking crap and taking forever to start a hunt. I hope this game makes that part quicker.

I want old monster hunter in which you prepare all your stuff, enter a map, and just fight. Might take a couple minutes to search the areas but that's it. No running around looking for footprints, then having to run across a massive map forever to get to the monster. And then running long distances every time the monster changes maps because the maps are huge.

I see stuff like endemic life, turf wars, and nature traps as time wasting gimmicks. I want to engage in the game's strong gameplay, not look for monkey see, monkey do interactables that do MASSIVE DAMAGE. Give me a weapon, a couple traps I packed and let me engage in the strong gameplay without chandelier traps and riding mechanics and such things.

Old monster hunter got you quickly to the point after the trash tutorials. This will be the difference in if I buy this game or not. Does it take 15 minutes to get to the monster and start fighting or can I accept a quest and be fighting the monster quickly. I can't tolerate time wastes anymore.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter

Yes of course, just like with Fallout and Baldur's Gate.
Not comparable. MHW took an ugly formula and made it far more intuitive and appealing without diluting what made it interesting in the first place. Fallout and Bear Gay are different. Those franchises just got raped by woketards. They had their own success sure but it certainly wasn't due to properly iterating upon or respecting their predecessors' legacy.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I know World was a return to MH being on home consoles, but the MH series was also some of the most graphically impressive games on portable consoles. At no point has MH had bad graphics for its time, it’s just been on weaker hardware.

Also, you don’t need top of the line graphics for gameplay to evolve beyond “slap monster around on open plain while occasionally dodging”. I was one of 10 people who played Tri/3U and that game had underwater sections with full 3D movement. They sucked, but Capcom have been experimenting with environmental stuff long before World and Wilds.

I actually find the turf war etc. stuff on the slightly gimmicky side - doesn’t ruin the experience at all and makes sense to add but it I never missed it beforehand. If I’m honest the biggest changes are ones that streamline or simplify things like gathering and combining or skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom