Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Someone remind me of the visual difference in a gif.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
A bit of an update on the game for those that are interested.
We are working on more "dark" (or "evil" if you want) areas now, and here's how it looks like.

So when you come from this:
scr1.png

to this

mystic_sshot5.png

... you know things are about to get serious ;)

GandGolf

Augur
Will it be possible to drop critical items? If it is then I suggest having the game make a note of the item's location so the party can come back for it later.

Assuming there are containers then I would also suggest maybe a key ring that can hold an unlimited number of keys. Or possibly have the game handle keys differently and have them not count as inventory items. (This is how SpiderWeb software games dealt with most of their quest items.)

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
You won't be able to lose (drop) critical (quest) items once you found them.
Also, you can merge up to 99 items like shurikens, potions, (same type) keys, etc... so that should free up some inventory space.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
If the story and combat matches this, I reckon Grimoire is about to get BTFO by this game as a Wiz 7 clone.

Never thought I would read these words - this says it all, I am hyped!

SirBlabsAlot what is character creation like?

As I wrote in one of the posts above, you have 9 races and 12 professions to choose from.
Not all races can learn all professions.

Races:
Human, Voolk, Giant, Melnar, Nerkai, Mrmmuck, Koranum, Kehk-Grawur and Himsha.

Professions (classes):
Fighter, Knight, Ninja, Samurai, Archer, Thief, Mage, Priest, Alchemist, Jester, Pikeman and Bard

Then you have your basic attributes (like Strength, ...) and, similar to Wizardy 7, Fighting skills, Physical skills, Knowledge skills and Ancient skills (but these have special ways of learning them - you cannot just assign points to them).

One of these days, I'll create a short video that will show how the process looks like. I'll link it here as well when it's ready.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the story and combat matches this, I reckon Grimoire is about to get BTFO by this game as a Wiz 7 clone.

As I wrote in one of the posts above, you have 9 races and 12 professions to choose from.

Races:

Professions (classes):
Fighter, Knight, Ninja, Samurai, Archer, Thief, Mage, Priest, Alchemist, Jester, Pikeman and Bard

Then you have your basic attributes (like Strength, ...) and, similar to Wizardy 7, Fighting skills, Physical skills, Knowledge skills and Ancient skills (but these have special ways of learning them - you cannot just assign points to them).

One of these days, I'll create a short video that will show how the process looks like. I'll link it here as well when it's ready.
No barbarians, sirrah?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

Races:

Professions (classes):

No barbarians, sirrah?
Believe it or not, there were Barbarians in first draft of the story/docs for Mystic Land, but after a lot of thinking, we removed quite a few classes (Barbarians included) in order to not have too many choices that would be even harder to balance properly.
Sorry :oops:

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
"You will go into the heart of the evil itself! But also find riches beyond your wildest dreams."
Cursed forest near the Pakrashka cemetery is quite big and "mazey", but well worth exploring.
And yes, this text and screenshot are a hint ;)

mystic_riches.png

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I just posted character creation video on Twitter, showing how to create a Melnar Mage.

That looks fantastic. Really easy and straightforward. Only thing it needed was background music, otherwise that was actually better than Wiz 7 creation.

Really stoked for this. Hope the combat system is as good as Wiz 7, that would make it the perfect game as far as I am concerned.

Weird how I scarcely care about the announcement of most games on the Codex but I am truly stoked for this one now.

P.S. Art style is killer, gets better every time I see new screen shot. They don't make'em like this anymore. Everything starts to look like Quake mod after a while in comparison to this.

:d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p:
P.P.S. I don't know why games of this calibre are so niche you have to look to indies to develop them. I'd buy games like this every single week like clockwork if they were up on Steam, just for the graphic look'n'feel alone. Can't understand why you have to wait so long just to get something of similar quality. For example, LEGEND OF GRIMROCK which purports to be this flavor of game just sucks for me. Can't even bear the first dungeon it's so boring. Like original Eye of the Beholder except the graphics in that are very engaging. The more photorealistic things get, the less they are capable of capturing the dream state and real engagement. I was watching that video of the walk through the dungeon and found that far superior in escapist transition to acceptance of game reality when contrasted with GRIMROCK fluff ...
P.P.P.S. That minimalist main menu screen nails it. Instantly sucked in before you click "START NEW GAME." Just needs musical background score to be perfect.

Last edited:

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
I just posted character creation video on Twitter, showing how to create a Melnar Mage.

That looks fantastic. Really easy and straightforward. Only thing it needed was background music, otherwise that was actually better than Wiz 7 creation.

Really stoked for this. Hope the combat system is as good as Wiz 7, that would make it the perfect game as far as I am concerned.

Weird how I scarcely care about the announcement of most games on the Codex but I am truly stoked for this one now.

P.S. Art style is killer, gets better every time I see new screen shot. They don't make'em like this anymore. Everything starts to look like Quake mod after a while in comparison to this.

:d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p: :d1p:
P.P.S. I don't know why games of this calibre are so niche you have to look to indies to develop them. I'd buy games like this every single week like clockwork if they were up on Steam, just for the graphic look'n'feel alone. Can't understand why you have to wait so long just to get something of similar quality. For example, LEGEND OF GRIMROCK which purports to be this flavor of game just sucks for me. Can't even bear the first dungeon it's so boring. Like original Eye of the Beholder except the graphics in that are very engaging. The more photorealistic things get, the less they are capable of capturing the dream state and real engagement. I was watching that video of the walk through the dungeon and found that far superior in escapist transition to acceptance of game reality when contrasted with GRIMROCK fluff ...
P.P.P.S. That minimalist main menu screen nails it. Instantly sucked in before you click "START NEW GAME." Just needs musical background score to be perfect.

Hey, thanks.

Music still to come.
Not included yet in the current (pre-alpha) version. But there will be music, not to worry ;)

GandGolf

Augur
How will the game handle stamina and resting? Will having a higher maximum stamina allow the party to walk more steps or take more actions before needing to replenish it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom