Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
How will the game handle stamina and resting? Will having a higher maximum stamina allow the party to walk more steps or take more actions before needing to replenish it?
Yes
And battle performance will also be impacted if the stamina goes too low.
Resting will be much faster than in Wiz7 though, as this was one part of the game that really bothered me (especially when you are higher levels)

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you have to look to indies to develop them
this is why i love the internet, because of the ability for people to put out some good shit that wouldn't have passed the mustard with stiffs in suits. i don't think anyone would've ever published old school computer game except through some disc mags or shareware. but then you have a lot more goddamned garbage out there too.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
How big will the game world be? Similar to Wizardry 7 or even bigger like Grimoire? Will there be towns, shops and NPCs to interact with?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
How big will the game world be? Similar to Wizardry 7 or even bigger like Grimoire? Will there be towns, shops and NPCs to interact with?
Hmmmm... to be honest, I never thought about that.
I do think it's bigger than Wiz7, though I never managed to finish Grimoire so I can't compare the two.
There will be quite a lot of hours of gameplay in the game for sure - with numerous optional areas, dungeons, etc...

There are towns (one bigger, couple of smaller) and, of course, there are shops and NPCs as well.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
As I just posted on Twitter (or X, or whatever the hell the thing is called these days).

This is very important person that will guide you through the starting stages of your quest to find Maphaldo the wise.

mage.png

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Character that learns "scouting" will be able to alert you of things like hidden buttons, illusionary walls, ...
But that's not all!
He/she will also sometimes alert you before the ambush happens - giving your party initiative in the first round of combat.

nerkai_scouting.png

Lyre Mors

Arcane
This looks so damn good. Thank you for making a game like this in this day and age. You guys are truly RPG heroes. We'll be rooting for you, and it'll absolutely be a day one purchase for me.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Characters that are skilled in "Hid-Un-Chet" can attempt to hide during the combat and then strike the foe from behind, dealing much more damage than they would with a normal attack.

hidunchet.png

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't like blobbers but I had to drop by and say that the art is indeed gorgeous and I wish you all well on releasing a successful RPG!

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
"Wardance" is the skill that can only be learned by Himsha Jesters.
If you have a Jester in your party - ask him/her to dance that special dance around your foes and see what happens...

jester_wardance.png

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Hmmmm... to be honest, I never thought about that.
I do think it's bigger than Wiz7, though I never managed to finish Grimoire so I can't compare the two.
There will be quite a lot of hours of gameplay in the game for sure - with numerous optional areas, dungeons, etc...

There are towns (one bigger, couple of smaller) and, of course, there are shops and NPCs as well.
Don't bother trying to outdo Grimoire in any scope with quantity. You don't want spend 25 years working on this.

If this game has 40 hours of solid play at this level of quality shown, it will be the best thing to go up on Steam in about ten years for RPGs.

I reckon this would have been a million copies sold if it came out in 1995 shortly after Wizardry 7. Sirtech managed to get out a really good game in W7 because they fell ass backwards into David Bradley. Nothing worth mentioning in the past thirty years to follow it up until Grimoire came along. This game you are working on looks like it is a peer of W7 right now.

Also, the "big portrait" NPC interaction is the best way to go for this style of game. Take the NPCs out of the equation so you can't kill them. I tried to go complete open world with Grimoire, you could do whatever you wanted to anybody, play evil, steal stuff ... the truth is in retrospect the controlled rails of story you get in games like Lands of Lore is different but it's just as enjoyable. I can see this game is not aiming for total open world and that's why I think it is going to be really enjoyable. I would try to model it along Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder and keep the player in the action with a lot of guidance as to where he is going next and what he is doing. Quest journal would be perfect, that's one thing that Lands of Lore lacked.

Please don't try to make it 601 hours of game play, you will end up insane and it will not come out until after World War IV. I will have my wallet out in a minute for 40 hours or so of gameplay.

*If you have two Easter Egg regions in the game and a couple dozen rare items and encounters, that's more than enough variety for me off the main quest.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Well, I don't like being on rails and would prefer at least as much open world as Wizardry 7 had. I don't know how much time the content creation would take to achieve that, but I would definitely like to see at least as much content as W7.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
If you have a Jester in your party - ask him/her to dance that special dance around your foes and see what happens...

View attachment 40647
I would guess that stack of potion shadows on top of the cauldron is a crafting station. Brilliant. So straightforward. Since I only had four slots for recipes in my game anyway it probably would have been a lot simpler interface if I had not gone over the top with "ITEM WORKSHOP." That idea was formed when I planned on huge unlimited recipes that might have 20+ items. I didn't realize that was going to need a person to edit them all and test them.

Really cool interface design, it is bringing tears to my eye it is so retro.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

View attachment 40647
I would guess that stack of potion shadows on top of the cauldron is a crafting station. Brilliant. So straightforward. Since I only had four slots for recipes in my game anyway it probably would have been a lot simpler interface if I had not gone over the top with "ITEM WORKSHOP." That idea was formed when I planned on huge unlimited recipes that might have 20+ items. I didn't realize that was going to need a person to edit them all and test them.

Really cool interface design, it is bringing tears to my eye it is so retro.
Thanks.

Yes, that "stack of potion shadows" is where you'll craft items from "recipes".
You'll "load" the items and press the cauldron below them. And if the recipe works (and one of your characters is skilful enough in "mich-an-pot" skill), puf! you got a new item :)
We tried to make it all on one screen. As little of "screen traveling" as possible.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
I just posted this video on Twitter (how easy it is to change the item that character should use in the next battle round).

Note also (not enough characters for this on Twitter, or X, or whatever it is...)
All items on screen are also identifiable by simple right-clicking on them (even in battle mode) - as long as one of your party members is skilled enough in "Artifacts" skill, of course.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
And here is how spell-casting works in Mystic Land: Search For Maphaldo.

Just posted on Twitter:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom