Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
On and off, I'm still playing the Swordflight Series.

It's the best RPG to come out in the last 20 years.

I'm using my high-ranked write-ups to promote it. Redirection tricks etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That's next on my list. Any (halfway decent) build viable?

Yesterday, or the day before, Rogueknight said even my super-basic Fighter build (recently posted) was viable.

I'm currently in Chapter Two with a Cleric. Chapter Two is a masterpiece of game design.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Is NWN:EE worth it if I'm not interested in multiplayer?
Well, I thought Tyrants of the Moonsea was quite great. For what it's worth, if you're gonna pick it up, GOG's running a big sale with the base EE for €5 and TotM for another €4.

I'll likely start using NWN:EE again when they either optimize it better it or switch to a 64-bit conversion. I really really HATE the microstutters I get with camera rotation on certain modules with vanilla assets where I shouldn't be getting them at all. However, maybe that 10-core Intel 10850K processor I'll soon be upgrading to will brute force this fucker into a semblance of smoothness. Doubt it though. NWN:EE probably uses single core and is only 32-bit, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister
It's a shame. There are a lot of truly great tilesets folks made on the Vault over the years that will never see any love in a proper module.

Do you know how painful those fucking things are to make? A friend of mine who does it explained it to me and it's brutal.
I'm not knocking it, I've certainly appreciated some very nice community tilesets featured in Swordflight, for instance. Just saying I wouldn't object to a module just because it doesn't have new tiles, you can do a lot with placeables.

I'll likely start using NWN:EE again when they either optimize it better it or switch to a 64-bit conversion. I really really HATE the microstutters I get with camera rotation on certain modules with vanilla assets where I shouldn't be getting them at all. However, maybe that 10-core Intel 10850K processor I'll soon be upgrading to will brute force this fucker into a semblance of smoothness. Doubt it though. NWN:EE probably uses single core and is only 32-bit, right?
If you're playing on a version that includes the new lighting model, you absolutely want to enable the Frame Limiter (otherwise your GPU will go nuts as it renders at 400 FPS), but you also want to keep the frame cap quite high or you'll get microstutters when turning the camera. For example, I keep it capped at 120 FPS, at 60 I still get choppy turning. This is the case regardless of whether you used the Enhanced Lighting or not.

That said, there's definitely a sack of gremlins still loose somewhere in the code. You wanna see some stutters? Open up a busy area in the toolset and hit F9. The test feature's practically unusable on my install. Otherwise, I believe Morii's right and Beamdog already switched all their titles to 64-bit, though it's all still single-threaded, that's not as simple.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
On and off, I'm still playing the Swordflight Series.

It's the best RPG to come out in the last 20 years.

I'm using my high-ranked write-ups to promote it. Redirection tricks etc.

How do I get it set up?

Gargaune

Magister
How do I get it set up?
Downloads are here: https://neverwintervault.org/tags/swordflight

Chapter 1 only has the .mod file, which you drop into your /modules/ folder. The others also have .hak packs which go into the /hak/ folder, they're either on the respective download pages or linked in there. For the Diamond edition, you'll find these folders in the install directory under /NWN Diamond/, whereas on the EE they're in /Documents/Neverwinter Nights. That's it, just load the game and hit New -> Other Modules and select Swordflight - Chapter One.

DaveO

Erudite
Liliura, I posted a comment to your blog. I can also understand your downvote in my comments. My tastes run towards the older RPGs before your renaissance time frame.

Desiderius

Patron
How do I get it set up?
Downloads are here: https://neverwintervault.org/tags/swordflight

Chapter 1 only has the .mod file, which you drop into your /modules/ folder. The others also have .hak packs which go into the /hak/ folder, they're either on the respective download pages or linked in there. For the Diamond edition, you'll find these folders in the install directory under /NWN Diamond/, whereas on the EE they're in /Documents/Neverwinter Nights. That's it, just load the game and hit New -> Other Modules and select Swordflight - Chapter One.

Should I use Diamond or EE? Have both

Gargaune

Magister
Should I use Diamond or EE? Have both
Diamond Edition is probably safest since that's what rogueknight's developing on, and I think I recall him once having to fix a door transition bug in Chapter 4 for the EE.

That said, I'd be surprised if there were any outstanding EE bugs, especially since the scripting's robust and it's been a while since the latest chapter came out. If you like the Enhanced Lighting or some other EE feature you could give it a go, it's likely I will once Chapter 5 comes out.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
played Swordflight to mid chapter 3, but there was some respawning area that I didn't like very much as idea, in general there is way too much combat but good module nonetheless

Desiderius

Patron
This looks amazing. I’m going to have to study for a week to make it to level 2. Why did the original game suck so bad?

Desiderius

Patron
It didn't, you're just retarded

Looking at the saves evidently I played it in 2015. Maybe that was Diamond and I tried the original and it was bad? Whatever Swordflight is very interesting so far - rogue getting so owned.

Gargaune

Magister
And for female Knight Captain https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/model/krighaurs-female-head-pack-2
It's really hard to make some sexy face for KC.
See Xaltar's NWN2 Facelift Pack if you want better mugs in your game. Just be aware there's a lone bug with the spear-handling animation, the left eye clips a bit through the skull.

Looking at the saves evidently I played it in 2015. Maybe that was Diamond and I tried the original and it was bad? Whatever Swordflight is very interesting so far - rogue getting so owned.
NWN's OC suffered from being cobbled together in a bit of a rush at the end of a long development cycle, BioWare originally envisioned NWN as a co-op and module-building platform first and foremost. After release, the SoU and HotU expansions were major improvements once developers could focus on delivering proper single-player campaigns, even if they didn't restore the tactical party experience of the IE games.

Desiderius

Patron
Why is Swordflight dev sticking with NWN1 instead of 2? How do the two compare?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom