Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Not-Ultima Online 2: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter is Live

jewboy

Arbiter
His hobby? You mean space flight?

Stabwound

Arcane
I think he means LARPing as fictional royalty and having 45 year old neckbeards treat him like he truly is.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, that is pretty weak. They seriously couldn't come up with anything more substantial than pets and weather? o_O

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, I have no idea. I think they expected to fly past $1,000,000 but these stretch goals are awful, and they had an agonizing 7+ days to come up with something exciting. Instead it's virtual pets and snow. Mindblowing! Richard Garriott once again innovates with every step.

I would honestly rather RG give up on the single player shit and just go all out with a massive Ultima Online sequel. The ultimate larping simulator. This crossbreed thing isn't working.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Well, how many RPG developers actually add seasonal weather in their games?

Well, UO did have periods of rain and snow and some shards cycled the maps to represent seasons. If you're trying to score points with followers of your previous games social experiments, you're certainly not going to get a whole lot by promising features which the player-base is already accustomed to. More likely you'll just draw attention to the fact that what used to be core features are being withheld as part of a cash-grab strategy. In any case, not sure I've seen weather presented as anything more than cosmetics in any game so far.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
He should have just been completely honest from the beginning and said he want to make a new Ultima Online like game.

I would have probably backed that if he had.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would have probably backed that if he had.

race_title.png

Can there possibly be a better game than one where you leave a metal weight on your keyboard overnight just so that there was a chance that in the morning you would find

Your skill in Evaluating Intelligence has decreased by 0.1%. It is now 89.2%

Fuck yes that means if I'm lucky tomorrow night I'll be able to macro my Taste Identification skill up by 0.1%

St. Toxic

Arcane
If you wanted to min/max your character asap, you could achieve mastery in most basic skills within a couple of weeks of macroing. If you wanted to play the game, you could do that too. Both characters would reach the same end-cap anyway, only taking different routes and different amounts of time to get there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ahhh, yes, Ultima Online, the first (and only!) game where I was banned from a server.
Good times :D

But this KS, I don't know.
This is like Bill Gates kickstarting Windows 9. Just on a smaller scale.

It just seems wrong to me to give money to people who should have more than enough already. And this one went into space for the lulz FFS!
Or am I that mistaken and LB is not filthy rich?

Zeriel

Arcane
Ahhh, yes, Ultima Online, the first (and only!) game where I was banned from a server.
Good times :D

But this KS, I don't know.
This is like Bill Gates kickstarting Windows 9. Just on a smaller scale.

It just seems wrong to me to give money to people who should have more than enough already. And this one went into space for the lulz FFS!

He spent 30M to go into space, then he got more than that back from a lawsuit with NCSoft. So, yeah, guy is rolling in cash, and even has considerable amounts of private money lined up for this project already, he just wants some of that sweet Kickstarter plunder to line his pockets.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

He is rich, but not as rich as Fargo who already did two successful kickstarter campaigns :)
Both could easily finance their game projects with their private money, but they are wealthy precisely because they don't do that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Huh ? Garriott is much richer than Fargo.

Richard Garriott wins lawsuit against NCsoft (again)

by Griffin McElroy on Oct 25th 2011 7:16PM

Last July, spacefaring game developer Richard Garriott won $28 million in a court case against former employer (and Tabula Rasa publisher) NCSoft, claiming that he was forced to sell his stock in the company at a low point in the market following his termination. NCSoft appealed the decision, and, after more than a year of further legal struggle, an appellate decision was reached in the 5th Circuit Court: Richard's getting paper.

"It would be unjust to allow NCsoft to sit back during trial, observe Garriott's litigation strategy, and then demand a new trial on damages when it dislikes the verdict," the ruling reads. Garriott's former victory was not only upheld -- NCSoft now owes him $32 million with interest and attorney fees. With that kind of cash, he could buy back his old manor, and build, like, five new manors on top of it. Or he could just go into space again; in the long run, that's probably the better investment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/25/richard-garriott-wins-lawsuit-against-ncsoft-again/

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
oh god. make it stop. it hurts.
send the fucker to a mining camp in new magincia

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wow. He really does live inside his fantasy land bubble of reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom