Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"I admire Stalin but only because of his ability to reshape reality" = "I'm not gay, it was technically like doing anal sex with a woman, because our balls didn't touch".

So, parading portraits of Hitler on your desk does mark you as literally a Nazi (not unreasonably), yet doing the same with Stalin's portrait is well and fine in the eyes of so-called "progressive", "liberal" people.

Whoever unironically believes there is a difference is part of the reason for the West's decline.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, parading portraits of Hitler on your desk does mark you as literally a Nazi (not unreasonably), yet doing the same with Stalin's portrait is well and fine in the eyes of so-called "progressive", "liberal" the Russian people.
There. Fixed.
Please state what you mean instead of implying it.

Harthwain

Magister
Nobody has Stalin's portrait because they are progressive or liberal (whatever that means to anyone). Most people who have Stalin's portrait are most likely Russians, because it's part of their national heritage. In addition, both the time lapse and the lack of deeper historical knowledge causes people to idealize stuff of the past (this is universal phenomena though).

Tigranes

Arcane
"I admire Stalin but only because of his ability to reshape reality" = "I'm not gay, it was technically like doing anal sex with a woman, because our balls didn't touch".

So, parading portraits of Hitler on your desk does mark you as literally a Nazi (not unreasonably), yet doing the same with Stalin's portrait is well and fine in the eyes of so-called "progressive", "liberal" people.

Whoever unironically believes there is a difference is part of the reason for the West's decline.

'Progressives' don't unironically admire Stalin - people who admire Stalin are the same "Life is so meaningless I wish I could CHANGE REALITY" morons that could just as easily admire Napoleon or Hitler or Mao, since what they really desire is the masturbatory satisfaction of untrammeled power without any actual ideology to have to work through.

Stefmob

Novice
DE is the first roll playing computer game, what first and foremost focusses on characteristics of your characters personality instead of characteristics off hack and slash

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

It is an irony, you stupid fuck. Estonians "worshipping" Stalin is 1000% irony, which is you Western retards who still think ZA/UM are commynist agebtz can never understand.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Still working my way through it, I'm enjoying it, unfortunetly, but it ain't no RPG, it's a really fancy Visual Novel.

Soon enough I'll believe in the collectivization of farms and Lysenkoism, DOWN WITH THE KULAKS!

Duraframe300

Arcane

It is an irony, you stupid fuck. Estonians "worshipping" Stalin is 1000% irony, which is you Western retards who still think ZA/UM are commynist agebtz can never understand.

Even if it was, at what point is there a difference anymore?

Also

zaum02.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Even if it was, at what point is there a difference anymore?

Also

zaum02.jpg

Actually their Stalin looks kinda gay.

Citizen

Most balts HATE communism&stalin with passion, so I also thought it was ironic. But now they went into POSTIRONY territorry, so it's impossible to tell whether it's real or joke

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Most balts HATE communism&stalin with passion, so I also thought it was ironic. But now they went into POSTIRONY territorry, so it's impossible to tell whether it's real or joke

Postmetairony is probably when they are torturing you in Gulag while winking and telling jokes? Nah, its just the regular Gulag.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Still working my way through it, I'm enjoying it, unfortunetly, but it ain't no RPG, it's a really fancy Visual Novel.

Soon enough I'll believe in the collectivization of farms and Lysenkoism, DOWN WITH THE KULAKS!

Your post is offending me as a direct descendant of the victims of dekulakization.

You'll be fired and sued on Monday. Happy New Year!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Didn't read the whole (or even more than 1 or 2) 20 pages here but I'm taking away from this topic that the developers of DE idolize Stalin??? What. The. Fuck. Read Bloodlands. Dude murdered more of his own people than Herr Hitler.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Didn't read the whole (or even more than 1 or 2) 20 pages here but I'm taking away from this topic that the developers of DE idolize Stalin??? What. The. Fuck. Read Bloodlands. Dude murdered more of his own people than Herr Hitler.

Are you twelve?

Probably the biggest cliche response on the internet right now next to "Okay, boomer" you fucking basement child. Retard.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Pretentious crap that drives us further away from RPGs.
I take it you didn't like Planescape: Torment too?
I had fun with it, but it's a one trick pony and a bad representation of the genre.
At least if PsT concentrated on the story it was good.

That's all that matters in the end. That you don't have too high of an expectation and have fun, no matter how many issues with a game. For example, I'm going to start Star Control Origins today, and yes, I fully expect it to be a dumbed down chunk of toss derived from the whole Starflight genre. But I need something light, colorful and nostalgic after the slog of Black Mesa's Xen chapter so I hope to have fun. DE doesn't seem like my type of game though. People seem to place a lot of similarities to Planecape Torment here and that definitely wasn't my kind of game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Varga's explicitly a vulture capitalist interested in hoarding wealth for himself and a handful of others. "Isn't that communism in practice" well yes, but he doesn't pretend to make any kind of pro-worker pitches (in fact doing the opposite, getting rich people to do what he wants by scaring them with tales of Takers coming for their money).

overly excitable young man

Games which include all aspects of the genre.
Fallout and Fallout-likes.
BGs, Gothics and Dragonfall are all great games that represent the genre.

PsT is fun but an extreme just like ToEE.
NWN 2 e.g. is a good representation of the genre but a terrible game.

Haven't played DOSes yet but they maybe also fall in this category.

In theory BG2 with ToEE combat and Fallout reactivity would be the perfect crpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom