Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Teases New RPG - 'Project X'

Tigranes

Arcane
Would the global moderator know the project's true identity? Or is he just guessing?
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59891-4-what-do-the-words-mean/page__st__120#entry1183677
It's not DS4, It's not Fallout 4, It's not Elder Scrolls, so let's move on from that. It's 100%.

And it's probably not Wheel of Time.
Let's find out? Tigranes

Do you really need me, or Brother None, to work that out, though?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Counter down to 3. And more cryptic shit.
Yup, and a new hint in the page source:
<!--. X . X X . T X --><!-- Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way. -->

Edit: It looks like, as the counter decremented, one of the empty spaces symbolized by the periods has been filled in with a letter. When the counter was 4, there were 4 periods, now, when the counter is 3, there are 3 periods left. The final word is probably the name of the game. However, I have a hard time figuring out what that may be, taking into account that it has 4 'X's in it.

kaizoku

Arcane
What do the words mean?
Nothing. The Dirge of Eír Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must.
<!--. X . X X . X X -->
<!-- To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness. -->

The book unread is unwritten. The reason we don't explain it is the reason we use it. Its power is in its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole. Is it clear?
Digging for truth buries the seeker.
<!--. X . X X . T X -->
<!-- Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way. -->

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I don't know if we can rule out Van Buren yet.

yes, we can. fallout is completely owned by bethesda and they will do the next big sequel with a number in the title. besides the number is a countdown as even confirmed by avellone in his blog entry... and it decremented to 3 minutes ago.

my bet is still on the mysterious developer pitch "defiance" which will become obsidians brand new ip. why do they call it project x? before the development of dungeon siege 3 square enix tried to enter the western crpg market (project x) and got in contact with obsidian. obsidian had created a world on their own but square shy at the risky way of a new ip but owned the rights to dungeon siege. therefore obsidian signed the contract to do ds3 and shelved defiance again.
i guess now it's time to go public and self publish the idea or to attract potential publishers to pick up the pitch.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if we can rule out Van Buren yet.

I would shit so hard I'd die. Also: Can they still do that game? Is it somehow tied up legally to anything? Somehow I really doubt that's what this is though. Alsoplustoo: I wonder if Cain will be tied to this in some way?

kaizoku

Arcane
I rather have a game in a different setting (from the one as in VB).
They already made New Vegas and W2 is another post apoc RPG.

What projects was Sawyer working anyway?
What about IWD3? Is it completely off?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
To be perfectly honest I think Defiance sounds pretty neato (and I say this as someone who feels more than exhausted with "fantasy" games).

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
perhaps it's a crossover between the two - project x.
the black hound within the universe of defiance.

kaizoku

Arcane
Prosper may have solved this riddle.

<!--. X . X X . T X -->
could end up being
<!--. R . O O . T S -->

And Sawyer's roots are within IceWind Dale... medieval fantasy.
So it's either IceWind Dale III or Defiance.

about Defiance:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011...rpg-for-xbla-hints-at-a-major-licensing-deal/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/for...Something-coming-from-Obsidian-and-J-E-Sawyer

The CEO also mentioned an older idea called "Defiance" that serves up an intriguing premise.

"We have a great idea for a new world we've just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really like called "Defiance" which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won," he said, drawing a line of comparison between the Obsidian project and J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy series, "The Lord of the Rings."

He continued, "Everything isn't happy in The Shire, they didn't get the ring in the fire and the hobbits are all dead. We think that's a cool pitch and we hope to have a publisher pick that up at some point." Dead Ewoks wouldn't hurt either, Feargus. Just saying.

A month ago someone asked him on Formspring when is he going to kickstart The Black Hound. Check out the answer. The Black Hound is actually Baldur's Gate III, announced in 2002 and missing in action since then. A project very dear to Sawyer, who worked on a NWN2 module based on it for a while. Beamdog already said their BG3, if made, won't be based on The Black Hound.

The game can also be Icewind Dale 3. The D&D digital rights have reverted to WotC, so no more Atari monopoly on that front.

J.E. Sawyer was working on Defiance, an RPG set in a dark fantasy world after the bad guys (think Sauron) won. This was an older concept shopped around to various publishers. From what I hear - I don't have a link - this was in development for 7 months for the next Xbox before Microsoft pulled the plug in March. I suppose this is not what's teased because they laid off the Defiance team.

It can, of course, be a LOTR game - the "fellowship" and generic fantasy names and style sure remind me of LOTR. But Warner Interactive has no idea how to handle the franchise: they released some shit games, don't have anything worthwile for The Hobbit's launch and may or may not have cancelled a LOTR game after sinking 10 million dollars and more than 20 months in it.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/358704167608404161

chotread

Educated
the logo is 'brotherhood of the serpent'. real minfuck. is gonna be kotor 3.
l.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
l.jpg
What if...

It's KOTOR 3...
And it's written by... Chris Avellone...

Excuse me, I think I'll have to clean up after myself.

(That said, this anticipation is much more fun than the actual reveal or game will be. It's like waiting for a present for Christmas.)

chotread

Educated
you know im sayin

thou art going
before Anu, the King;
The road to Heaven thou wilt take.
When to Heaven thou has ascended, and hast
approached the gate of Anu, the “Bearer of Life” and
the “Grower of Truth” at the gate of Anu will be
standing.1

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
What if...

It's KOTOR 3...
And it's written by... Chris Avellone...

Excuse me, I think I'll have to clean up after myself.

(That said, this anticipation is much more fun than the actual reveal or game will be. It's like waiting for a present for Christmas.)
Meh. I don't want Kotor 3, I don't care about Star Wars, and I despise the whole "create a single character and have a bunch of NPCs forced on you" deal (and Kotor2 fails really really REALLY badly in not even letting you solo if you don't care about the blasted NPC - oh no, here's a mandatory follower section every goddamn three steps :blindingrage: ).

Give me a "spiritual successor" (heh, such a misused term nobody ever lived up to) to IWD and SoZ - a fantasy game where you create a whole party and just go adventuring in an interesting world... Everything else - less good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm more versatile than you; combatfag, storyfag, consolefag- I'll take anything as long as it's good.
Of course we can't expect anything good- but vague hope... why not? It's fun looking forward to stuff. It's hard to get that feeling anymore when you approach 30.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you know im sayin

thou art going
before Anu, the King;
The road to Heaven thou wilt take.
When to Heaven thou has ascended, and hast
approached the gate of Anu, the “Bearer of Life” and
the “Grower of Truth” at the gate of Anu will be
standing.1

If it would actually be set in a Mesopotamian mythology inspired setting, it'd be glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom