Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Hormalakh

Magister
fucking spelling errors dude. it should be sllamiiry.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer on stealth: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...d=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post424534478

u1wqQlC.png

wEZwYkI.png

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting - the whole "normalize the sizes of the party's circles according to average perception rating of the area" is basically "reverse level scaling". I guess they don't want high level characters' stealth circles to disappear entirely.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh does it again. Perhaps the best stealth system in a pseudo-iso-rpg yet.

I imagine some people will get annoyed by the lack of systematic pick-pocketing. Well, too bad. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

It's not perfect. He wanted to create this "stealth circles" minigame and had to implement a somewhat inelegant per-area normalization to get it to work.

The end result is that a highly perceptive elf scout can't see you as well if he's in the same area with twenty blind monks.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I am annoyed by the lack of systematic pick-pocketing.
Eh. Pickpocketing is cool to have, but the way it works in most RPGs is dumb. Get skill -> get reward || get attacked -> reload. I don't think it's worth Obsidian's time to try to go fix it up, you could spend forever on it and still ultimately have pickpocketing failure lead to a world-breaking state. You need real crime & punishment systems and stuff in your game to handle it, and let's face it, most RPGs are not too concerned with simulating that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

It's not perfect. He wanted to create this "stealth circles" minigame and had to implement a somewhat inelegant per-area normalization to get it to work.

The end result is that a highly perceptive elf scout can't see you as well if he's in the same area with twenty blind monks.

I created a thread about the stealth thing here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64979-josh-sawyer-talks-about-stealth-mechanics/

There just is no really good solution to it as long as you can save & reload at any time.

There's plenty of ways to get around that though. Make it a threshold of your skill versus the perception of the mark and any of his buddies nearby; get a bonus if the mark (and any of his buddies) have their backs turned towards you. Have them turn towards you if they can hear you and don't trust you. And so on.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
The problem with pickpocketing in RPGs isn't mechanics, it's believable consequences.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Josh does it again

Yeah he killed all the fun, again :troll:

I have to agree that old pickpocketing mechanics was bad, but it is still better and more fun than what Josh decided to implement.

There just is no really good solution to it as long as you can save & reload at any time.

There's plenty of ways to get around that though. Make it a threshold of your skill versus the perception of the mark and any of his buddies nearby; get a bonus if the mark (and any of his buddies) have their backs turned towards you. Have them turn towards you if they can hear you and don't trust you. And so on.

This is a good solution, but as sea said, the devs just don't want to bother. Their loss.

Delterius

Arcane
Ten thousand pages ago I asked wether they were planning something in regards to trap detection. If there's one thing I absolutely despised back in the IE games was how unresponsive the whole thing was. Reloading because a pickpocket attempt failed is nothing compared to reloading after triggering every trap because looking for traps is locked to a 6 second cycle. You know anything about that, gents?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom