Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can almost feel the pressure Bioware is getting from Obsidian.

Yep. Obsidian are taking advantage of Bioware's weakness here, and in that sense this Kickstarter is brilliantly timed.

If they play their cards right, they can steal a large segment of Bioware's core fanbase. Hopefully it won't lead to too much decline.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You can almost feel the pressure Bioware is getting from Obsidian.

Yep. Obsidian are taking advantage of Bioware's weakness here, and in that sense this Kickstarter is brilliantly timed.

If they play their cards right, they can steal a large segment of Bioware's core fanbase. Hopefully it won't lead to too much decline.

Agreed. For the people that played Dragon Age:O and were like WHAT THE FUCK BIOWARE? Those people that miss the old IE like games are definitely their target audience.

No matter what, at least Project Eternity won't be a shit herpa derpa action AWESOME BUTTAN game like bioware. Thank gawd. :salute:

kris

Arcane
Agreed. For the people that played Dragon Age:O and were like WHAT THE FUCK BIOWARE? Those people that miss the old IE like games are definitely their target audience.

Not to forget the ones that played DA2. If anything, that was more in line as they really stepped away from PC.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Tigranes un-modstatus me, bro. Look at all the props I gave you in that old thread. And you don't even remember me. You owe me, bro. My heart is crying out to you.

Tigranes

Arcane
From what I've seen, you're not even banned, you're just on mod status. You can still post just fine.

Standard procedure is if you post without being an arse for a little while, we get rid of that too.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Yeah, I'm waiting for my paycheck to pledge, but when you think about it, a mix of PST, BG and IWD sounds like an incomprehensible clusterfuck. I mean, a game that focuses on combat and a game that focuses on dialogue and story are sort of mutually exclusive. Unless it's a fucking huge game, in which case we'll probably have to wait 3-4 years. It'd be nice to know whether the game actually has some kind of concept, apart from a crayon drawn world map and the general idea of being infinity engine-ey

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
"Interplay was right when they said that Black Isle is back..in the form of inXile and Obsidian."

SUCK IT HERVE!

Seriously, the game was launched FOUR DAYS AGO. Give it some time, I'm sure more info will be forthcoming.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, Adam Brennecke has started posting on the Obsidian forums.

So far he's confirmed oldschool character portraits and a definite avoidance of the stereotypical "Gather Four Artifacts to Defeat the Ancient Evil" Bioware-style plot.

For people debating whether kickstarter is donation or professional funding, remember: The ONLY reason why kickstarter is technically a donations system is because it allows them to avoid painful and complicated legal problems that might result from things going bad. For practical purposes, it is not a donation system, but group funding of a specific pitch. They can disregard the desires of the people that pay them without legal repercussion but morally they are still obligated to it, and in terms of their reputation they have a lot at stake if they don't follow through with it. Internet communities are obviously more vicious than normal communities so there's certainly risks in mismanaging their obligations, and so there should be.

Josh Sawyer on Formspring said:
It'd be great if you would actually address some of these questions and concerns being expressed here about Project Eternity instead of dodging them and being a smartass.
I'm sorry. It's very difficult for me to follow every thread on each conversation that people start. I often don't understand what the actual issue is until they explain it. I'm trying to pay attention to discussions on every major forum that has threads on it.

I do feel a little bit sorry for him. Seems like a good guy who has been given ultimate responsibility of this whole thing and is really struggling with the unexpected intensity of it all. Fortunately for him, even with whatever bad decisions were made at the initial pitch, everything can come out good at the end of it as long as he plays safe for the next month and works clever for the next 18 months or so after that (or whatever figure they are throwing around). I think he can do this and succeed but I think his best bet is to essentially reproduce the straight-forward design essence of a game like Icewind dale. Don't try to do anything amazing, don't try to modernise things, don't try to evolve older systems for a "new audience" and don't try to draw in audiences that might like the game if you do such and such. Just make a clean, methodically produced game to the traditional formula that inspired this. The customers will reward you for it.

I'm also just going to put this here in case anyone in the future questions whether or not the plague ridden little rats we have in our walls actually are that

suejak
on J Sawyers Formspring said:
Yeah. you have a contingent at like RPGCodex that HATES EVERYTHING. Now that they've paid their $20, they feel like JE, MCA, and Tim Cain are blood-sworn to make whatever wet dream game they think they all agree they want. Whatever.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Well, all I can say is 'fuck yes'.

Also, I hope they take a lot of ideas from Storm of Zehir. Despite some of its shortcomings, it was a very solid IWD successor, and most of its flaws can be easily fixed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't hate everything... just half of it.

Also, did't Sawyer also made some line at forums akin to "You paid for product after all, so we want to hear what you want"? Double standarts? :roll:

Yeah. you have a contingent at like RPGCodex that HATES EVERYTHING. Now that they've paid their $20, they feel like JE, MCA, and Tim Cain are blood-sworn to make whatever wet dream game they think they all agree they want. Whatever.
Old-school players throwing (free) design ideas and money into your project instead of quietly discussing which character will be romanceable. Oh, what a horror.

jewboy

Arbiter
The old fanbase, those of us who loved BG2 and ToB, but hate Dragon Age, are loooong gone. Bioware's current fanbase are definitely the kinds of morons who are looking to mostly play house and need an awesome button.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I will most likely pledge the 60 to get the boxed version but have not yet. I wonder if they will give any more game info during the pledge period. I would like to know more about the game before pledging.

How does kickstarter work once the game releases? Will boxed copies still be available?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I will most likely pledge the 60 to get the boxed version but have not yet. I wonder if they will give any more game info during the pledge period. I would like to know more about the game before pledging.

How does kickstarter work once the game releases? Will boxed copies still be available?

It's up to Obsidian to decide whether they want to open up their own online store to allow further pre-orders after the end of the Kickstarter.

I believe that they most likely will.

I'd rather have the addition of another playable race, class, and companion than a house. I feel like it would add way more to the game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't hate everything... just half of it.

Old-school players throwing (free) design ideas and money into your project instead of quietly discussing which character will be romanceable. Oh, what a horror.

Well, it is literally unheard of in modern AAA game development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom