Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't how I feel about that. Feels like cheating. Well anyways, I think i figured out what class I am going to play. Welp, back to wasting my life on Unfair + Iron Man.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That fucking sucks. Well bros. Losing that iron man run hurts a lot. I'm just staring at the character creation screen and am hopeless.... Right when I finished chapter 3. Fuck! I can't believe it! All of that progress ruined because of one stupid random encounter. Help me Smilodon! What is a good class for chaotic neutral characters? I am trying to achieve the iron man and secret ending steam achievements.
Make some archer with the pet and keep him as far away from melee as possible.
I'm curious, if you ALT+F4 or close the game's process in Task Manager, does it still delete your save? You might have to resort to something along those lines in order to get the achievement in a "fair" way.

I was making backups for my ironman runs in Knights of Chalice. Well... mostly in case of some script that triggers dialogue window getting stuck (And it happened twice!). Sure it would work for P:K.
Alas, Pink is too far gone even to lower difficulty to normal, never mentioning attempting some "fair" tricks.

NJClaw I have always loved arcane themed parties like what you have described;

however,

That party is going to be pure masochism in Chapter 1, and probably won't stop suffering until after Chapter 3 at the earliest. Kingmaker's challenges play to wizard's weaknesses. I envy the time you have to enjoy the game this way. Just be prepared to pay the price for it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone done anything interesting with Jaethal? I wonder if her ability to derive HP from CHA could be better utilized somehow, maybe going Sorcerer or Cleric?
InEffect makes her 3 Inquisitor / 17 Herald Caller of Urgathoa. I am playing this build right now (albeit not on Unfair), and she is very useful.

That's a nice build. I've done Inq3/Cleric17 on Harrim and liked it a lot. WIS to initiative and Solo Tactics are both very nice.

Plus Cleric on Jaethal lets her heal herself spontaneously.

Desiderius

Patron
Was there a Barbarian power that gave you and extra APR? And has it been included in any mods like COTW?

When this first came out, I think I was building a barbarian, and I think I found that power - but it was with a mod and I don't know which one it was.

I do read the readme for each mod, but they just list the power name, not what it does. So I didn't then cross-reference it with the online SRD dictionary.

Lesser Spirit Totem

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'M amped up for a party where I have no buffing to do whatsoever
With the buff bot mod every party is that party. :positive:
Does it work that well though?

Teach me the ways
The mod works perfectly, it only has a few problems:
- it doesn't know what to do with spells that have different modes: if you cast Magic Vestment through the mod, it won't use your slot and you will be able to cast the same spell again later;
- it doesn't know what to do with domain slots: you have to cast your domain buffs manually;
- you can't specify which character should cast each spell: while usually this shouldn't be a problem, it becomes one if you have two spontaneous casters with access to the same spell, because you will use up all the slots of the first one before starting to rely on those of the second one. Once you are aware of this behavior, you can plan your spell selection accordingly and order correctly the characters in your party (if two character have access to the same spell, the mod will use the slots of the first one in the party formation).

Don't let this stuff discourage you: it's pretty irrelevant compared to the time it will actually save you. You can create different profiles and attach a set of spells to each profile. Then, you attach a profile to each character (two characters can share the same profile: for example, I have an "animal companion" profile that I use for each animal companion in the group) and select the priority of each character (if you have two characters with a profile that requires a Mage Armor but your Wizard memorized only a single Mage Armor, the character with the highest priority will get it). You can change profiles on the spot with a single click and this is particularly useful if you have different buffing routines: in my case, I have a long-lasting buff routine and a short-lasting one (the first one casts all the 10 minutes and 1 hour per level buffs, the second one casts all the 1 minute per level buffs).

The profiles creation process takes a bit of time (still less than the time spent on a single manual buffing routine, though), but then you can click the "execute" button to cast all your buffs in a single instant.

Darko

Educated
You could do two parallel runs with same setups, one ironman, the other on normal. Can even set the difficulty a bit higher on normal run. Use it to practice, and only play on LA when you are confident about progressing through normal without dying.
Normal (vanilla?) in this context is opposite of Last Azlanti.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was there a Barbarian power that gave you and extra APR? And has it been included in any mods like COTW?

When this first came out, I think I was building a barbarian, and I think I found that power - but it was with a mod and I don't know which one it was.

I do read the readme for each mod, but they just list the power name, not what it does. So I didn't then cross-reference it with the online SRD dictionary.

Lesser Spirit Totem

Long day. Thought you were taking the piss and read it as 'laser spirit totem'. So you can use totems and stances at the same time eh? is there enough in Mad Dog to get the x3 for lethal stance line and this totem power as well?.

Vanderbilt_Grad

Barely Literate
Fauchard Biting Tripper Build

Class split: 12 Vivisectionist / 1 Monk / 1 Sword Saint (Fauchard)

Was trying out a far less optimized version of this and was running into an issue once I added a Monk level at 3rd. When using Feral Mutagen I clearly see the bite attacks as a primary unarmed attacks when looking at the character or inventory screen. However, some time after that - while Feral is still active - it seems to default back to the Monk unarmed attacks and I see those instead. Is this something others are running into?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, that tends to happen. Claws get overwritten by fists. No big deal, as the damage is the same, number of attacks the same (Flurry of Blows), type arguably (slightly) better (though it hardly matters) and you keep the Feral Bite.

Saravan

Savant
Wanted to try an archer build. Is the Ranger the way to go? I heard Fighter could be a better alternative?

Desiderius

Patron
Wanted to try an archer build. Is the Ranger the way to go? I heard Fighter could be a better alternative?

Ranged Fighter wastes a lot of the strengths of the class.

Slayers, Rangers, and Rogues make the best archers.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ranger is OK. I have a build for Ekun you could use. The build I use for my archer is a Tactical Leader support archer. You can find both by googling Yosharian steam builds.

Otherwise as Des says Rogue and Slayer can work.

Saravan

Savant

Ranged Fighter wastes a lot of the strengths of the class.

Slayers, Rangers, and Rogues make the best archers.

Slayers seem a bit too complicated for me to try get a build right, I'll go with the Ranger!

Ranger is OK. I have a build for Ekun you could use. The build I use for my archer is a Tactical Leader support archer. You can find both by googling Yosharian steam builds.

Thanks, I'll take a look at your build for Ekun.

Yosharian

Arcane
Slayers seem a bit too complicated for me to try get a build right, I'll go with the Ranger!

Thanks, I'll take a look at your build for Ekun.
Note the section on Animal Companions since that's relevant as well

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've recently been wondering about a Druid build, as I've got the perfect portrait for it. Thinking about maybe multiclassing a bit into Vivisectionist for the sneak attack and mutagens, and maybe a bit of Tactician Inquisitor. Anyone have any experience playing around with that sort of thing? On testing out a Druid merc for a quick spin, I was disappointed to see that he was weaker than his pet in corresponding beast shape! If I as a mighty magic user am going to transform into a beast, surely it's going to be the most magnificent example of its species? :)

Yosharian

Arcane
I've recently been wondering about a Druid build, as I've got the perfect portrait for it. Thinking about maybe multiclassing a bit into Vivisectionist for the sneak attack and mutagens, and maybe a bit of Tactician Inquisitor. Anyone have any experience playing around with that sort of thing? On testing out a Druid merc for a quick spin, I was disappointed to see that he was weaker than his pet in corresponding beast shape! If I as a mighty magic user am going to transform into a beast, surely it's going to be the most magnificent example of its species? :)
Druids are most optimal as a reach melee support caster or as a primary spellcaster, wildshape builds are not very strong (fun though)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom