Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I’m a popamole consoletard that used to play a lot of CRPGs in high school. I’m trying to get back into RPGs but found that I lost a lot of my skills over the years and pretty much suck now. What’s the most OP build in this game that’s also strong in the early game and doesn’t take a lot of time to become OP? Help me out here. Preferably something tanky so I can play a bit carelessly and soak up a lot of damage.

Also, helpful tips and strats and stuffies would be appreciated :3

It hardly gets more tanky then a Sword Saint:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...nd-strats-thread.124160/page-114#post-6121550

Incidentally great damage too.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Desiderius Delterius Haplo I need help from you fine gentlemen... how do you REMOVE mods? I tried out the "Kingmaker AI" one, didn't like it, deleted it from the mod folder... and now EVERY SINGLE save from when that mod was installed crashes. Maybe I'm missing something basic, but any help, from anyone, would be appreciated.

I'm not sure you can. It's the big downside of many PFK mods, they get baked into the saves and you have to go back to a save before you put them in if you're not happy with them.

Yeah, sadly I don't think its possible. At least I do not know a way. SOME mods can be disabled without issues, but most cannot...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Get the Vortex thingy from Nexus Mod Manager. It’s not foolproof but it works more often than not.

Desiderius

Patron
I’m a popamole consoletard that used to play a lot of CRPGs in high school. I’m trying to get back into RPGs but found that I lost a lot of my skills over the years and pretty much suck now. What’s the most OP build in this game that’s also strong in the early game and doesn’t take a lot of time to become OP? Help me out here. Preferably something tanky so I can play a bit carelessly and soak up a lot of damage.

Google InEffect.

Yosharian

Arcane

Anything that has an animal companion

Efe

Erudite
What yoshi said. companions are free bodies that revive with rest. generally stay useful throughout the game as long as you buff them a little and most importantly grant a lot of carry weight.

Desiderius

Patron
Getting a companion on your main can be a little tricky just starting out. If you like Barbarians Mad Dog has one. Otherwise make your main a Fighter.

I made Amiri a Sacred Huntmaster my first time through and was fine. Her WIS is lower than ideal but manageable. More bodies means more survivability.

Most important thing is to keep your Bard in your group and use it. They're a lot better than other games.

Welcome back. Following Haplo's advice on the Sword Saint will get you the most broken offensive character around. Definitely look it over. If you want to autopilot and tank, sword and board single-classed Hospitaler (paladin archetype) is a good choice. You'll be lacking in feats, so you'll need a simple focus and stick to it. Even if your feat selection end up random and incoherent, you'll still be fine. The strengths of the class play to the games primary challenges all the way through and only gets better over time. It's effectively fool proof.

Kingmaker is much more about parties though. I would recommend going with a fully good aligned party. You'll have ever role filled, making your MC merely a bonus. The one exception would be that instead of having Octavia as an Arcane Trickster, consider using Jubilost (Alchemist). He is an excellent skill monkey with good offensive effects and support spells. You'll get more mileage and flexibility out of his class than a wizard. Arcane magic is not very important in Kingmaker unless you want to autopilot Stinking Cloud.

Desiderius

Patron
You can make it good but that's a little more advanced.

Desiderius

Patron
As if there were anything more current-year bien-pissant than trying to fuck everything that moves.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Google InEffect.
No! Bad Desiderius, bad!

I would recommend going with a fully good aligned party.
You goody-goodies make me sick.

The recommendation was due to the party coherence being greater and more robust. My first play through was actually a parade of non-good edgelords. That's not to say the good aligned party members aren't without faults, but my morally ambiguous party got pretty obnoxious.

Jaethal: She's so awesome that she's perpetually bored and lets you know both constantly.
Harrim: A failure who wants to the world to end because he's a loser.
Regonogar: Psychopath douchebag who wants to suck your dick ASAP.
Jubilost: Mixed bag. Histrionic personality disorder wears thin, mellows out just in time. Tolerable.
Nok-Nok: He's actually OK.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Only companion who's literally immortal. Can you ask for anything better in a tank?

Regonogar
Has one of the best classes in the game.

who wants to suck your dick ASAP.
I see this as a win.

Nok-Nok: He's actually OK.
Of course he is.

Also on Team Evil is fire-tailed GF Kanerah, and then you can round the team out with CN Octavia. Arcane Trickster is the class that manages to make damage cantrips awesome, after all, I'd take that over an Alchemist any day.

I will agree that Kanerah is awesome. She is everything Jaethal pretends to be is far more useful. I liked that character. Jaethal as a tank was an annoyance. Her undead status could come in handy, but her negative energy healing was an abberation that wasn't really worth the hassle. Regonigar was mechanically OK, but gishes take time to become worthy. For AT, weapon DPS is better than cantrip spam. A better activity is to churn through your scrolls.

Yosharian

Arcane
I have a sneaking suspicion that 30 DR/- and +40 Temporary Hit Points on tap each round combined with her immunities makes Jaethal the best tank in the game. I haven't tested it yet though since I'm still in the process of finishing my Merc playthrough

Desiderius

Patron
Varnhold’s Lot CotW/Stolen Lands Encounters owns.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The one exception would be that instead of having Octavia as an Arcane Trickster, consider using Jubilost (Alchemist). He is an excellent skill monkey with good offensive effects and support spells. You'll get more mileage and flexibility out of his class than a wizard. Arcane magic is not very important in Kingmaker unless you want to autopilot Stinking Cloud.

I agreed with everything up to that point.
I mean sure, Jubilost IS fine and if you prefer him, absolutely no reason not to use him. Also probably the best written character.

But for me no character came close to the usefulness of Octavia as an Arcane Trickster. Like Nano wrote, she can even make cantrips useful and that's an achievement by itself. But also if you focus on Conjuration CC spells, she will dominate any battlefield. Her rays will melt bosses. And eventually at AT capstone, she becomes an aoe damage monster too. If you go for a Sword Saint (or another robe wearer), you'll appreciate the Mage Armor she can provide for you early on.

Desiderius

Patron
Both Octavia and Jub are dominant in their own way.

Saint Octavia is the fun one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Conjuration is old hat, Evocation for Icy Prison and Necromancy for Wail shenanigans

Icy Prison is what, spell level 5? And single target? LOL. Conjuration dominates the battlefield with aoe CC effects right from the very first levels. AND ignores Spell Resistance.
Chains of Light admittedly come a spell level later but are better then Icy Prison due to no SR check.

As for Wail... end game only and be extra careful not to kill your own party? I'll pass.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Prison is Evocation so nice supplement for a Nuker. Sometimes there is only one thing on the battlefield but it’s a dangerous thing so AoE isn’t what is needed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Prison is Evocation so nice supplement for a Nuker. Sometimes there is only one thing on the battlefield but it’s a dangerous thing so AoE isn’t what is needed.

A nice supplement for nuker - exactly what it is.
As for single dangerous enemies, aoe effects tend to work just fine versus them as well. But you have many options. Including Icy Prison, but also Chains, VineTrap (divine casters).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom